Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2004  (Read 107884 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Football
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2004, 01:12 PM »
But I don't think it's cool at all that a few of you are trying to put others at a disadvantage just because you see that your season schedules and your bye week stuff works out in your favor to sneak an extra good starting player into your lineup every week.  That's really bogus.  Or maybe you three truly just don't understand.  I don't know which it is.

Well I don't think it's cool that you're accusing me when you admitted to me via IM that you know nothing about fantasy football and were "picking blind" sometimes during this. 

The bottom line, flex or not, is that each person picks the BEST available player when their turn comes.  Dressel knows that I was going to pick Chad Johnson early on, but saw Stephen Davis avaiable and grabbed him since there are so many teams and so few RBs.  It's amazing to me that we have so many guys opposed to this when it HELPS each team.  We've all got like 18-20 guys on our roster.  You're telling me you don't have 1 guy within that group that can potentially help you each week? 

I'll be honest with you guys, I didn't know til I set my roster we had no flex position.  I assumed we did because EVERY league I've ever participated in had one.  Why would you NOT have one?  Seriously. 

How is the bye week situation even an attempted argument when you have 18-20 guys on your roster.  Are you kidding me?  Try playing in leagues where you have 3-4 extra guys on your bench.  Personally, I'm liking this league less and less between the lack of flex and the scoring issues (which nearly everyone has been concerned with or questioned since the start) and as of now, this is the league of my 4 that will get the least attention.  That's not a threat, that's just the straight truth.  My other leagues will be far more fun to participate in each week because of an extra WR spot and flex spot, better scoring and more talent to chose from. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2004, 01:59 PM »
I don't use flex because that is how I've always done it in my league...sorry you didn't know this and sorry the league is so big, I thought about breaking it up into two leagues of 8 teams but wanted to do some community building and thought a FREE fantasy football league that is for fun anyway would have been a fun way for people to spend their fall

Next year we can make some changes but its how it is, if people want to pay some money next year where we can have a custom scoring automated league with two divisions we can do that but I doubt people will want to pony up money for something especially since so many people are in leagues in the real world anyway

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2004, 05:05 PM »
It's amazing to me that we have so many guys opposed to this when it HELPS each team. 

Does it help each team?  Yes.  Does it help some teams more than others?  Definitely.  Some of us carefully selected certain players because of bye week considerations.  I guess maybe you should have looked at the roster spots and scoring values that OCB posted about 2 months ago sometime before the draft.

And I never said I was "picking blind."  What I said was that I never followed NFL in my life and wanted something to bridge baseball and basketball fantasy, so gave this a shot; and I told you that 4 weeks ago last time I had a week on call at the hospital I killed the time at Barnes and Noble studying fantasy mags to learn how to draft a football team correctly.  To put a quote down saying I admitted to you I was "picking blind at times" is completely false.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2004, 06:19 PM »
It's amazing to me that we have so many guys opposed to this when it HELPS each team. 

Does it help each team?  Yes.  Does it help some teams more than others?  Definitely.  Some of us carefully selected certain players because of bye week considerations.  I guess maybe you should have looked at the roster spots and scoring values that OCB posted about 2 months ago sometime before the draft.

And I never said I was "picking blind."  What I said was that I never followed NFL in my life and wanted something to bridge baseball and basketball fantasy, so gave this a shot; and I told you that 4 weeks ago last time I had a week on call at the hospital I killed the time at Barnes and Noble studying fantasy mags to learn how to draft a football team correctly.  To put a quote down saying I admitted to you I was "picking blind at times" is completely false.

You're right.  "Picking blind" should have been replaced by "I have no idea what I'm doing."  My bad.

Each time you draft in a league you ALWAYS consider bye weeks, but saying anyone here would consider a bye week over taking the BEST player available is totally ridiculous and proves you have no idea what you're doing. 

Look, I'm not trying to start a fight and make more of this than I should, but for anyone to think that adding a flex gives any one team an advantage over another is quite simply ridiculous.  The players still have to go out and perform.  If anyone thinks that their stud horses are going to put up 20 points each every week than apparently you've never watched sports before.  Eventually those of you shooting this down will realize how valuable that extra offensive player spot is when you lose by 2 points one week because one of your horses had an off week.  The fact so many of you are so adament about opposing this proves that you're either afraid of competition by adding the flex spot or just don't get it.   

Like I said, this will be the league I follow the least.  I'm not very impressed with how it's been handled from draft, to scoring to opposing the flex spot.  Not one of you opposing this should toss out the phrase "just for fun" if you're gonna say what you're gonna say.  If it's "just for fun" add the flex spot and see how much more fun it is.  But I guess this league is about who can score the fewest points, not the most in any given week. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2004, 09:13 PM »
Well then HoloElvis my final advice is to enjoy your other 3 leagues with your prized flex position, be sure to read which roster positions the league has set for you to fill on draft day, and to play by the rules set at the outset of the draft.  Good luck.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2004, 09:18 PM »
Fellas,

I think we should drop the flex argument debate.... it seems to be leading down a dark path.  Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

:-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2004, 10:16 PM »
Agreed.  I'd like to have one, but it's not a big deal - either way you slice it everyone is on a level playing field and having a large bench just gives you that many more agonizing decisions to make when you decide who to start each week.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2004, 11:50 PM »
Agreed.  I'd like to have one, but it's not a big deal - either way you slice it everyone is on a level playing field and having a large bench just gives you that many more agonizing decisions to make when you decide who to start each week.

No, everyone is not on a level playing field and that's why we're not changing the rules after the game has already started.  But agreed, no more debate on this issue.

Play ball.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2004, 12:06 AM »

No, everyone is not on a level playing field and that's why we're not changing the rules after the game has already started.  But agreed, no more debate on this issue.

Play ball.

If everyone drafted under the same rules, with a strategy based on those rules, and everyone was then subjected to the exact same rule change, the effects would be equal across the board.  I don't give a crap about the flex player and I'm totally cool with the final decision, but this insistance that you'd be at some kind of disadvantage if we added one is getting ridiculous.  Besides, you're losing without a flex player, maybe adding one would help you out.   :P
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 12:09 AM by Kneel Before Zod »

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2004, 12:25 AM »

Fellas,

RE: flex player

LET IT GO.

I'd hate to see this thread closed...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2004, 03:33 PM »
No, everyone is not on a level playing field and that's why we're not changing the rules after the game has already started.

Are you for real? 

Look, the flex position only HELPS your team.  It in no way hurts your team.  It's an extra player in your starting lineup to SCORE POINTS FOR YOUR TEAM.  The argument against adding the flex has been quite simply ridiculous and uneducated.  It would definitely help a team like Famine's.  I just don't understand why we have so many guys on our team, most of them who won't ever get used during the course of the season, if we aren't going to have an extra starting spot or 2.  If no one sees that point then I'm wasting my breath. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 04:12 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2004, 04:56 PM »
You know what sucks? The fact that I have teams in three different fantasy leagues, and I have different players on each team (with a few exceptions). So on the one hand, I have Donovan McNabb on one team, so I am rooting for him to have a great day. But at the same time, in another league, he is playing AGAINST my team, so I'd like to see him get shut down...  :-\

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2004, 01:51 AM »

Ditto.  Brees even appeared on my week 2 roster.

But KBZ can have him, I'm going to whip his ass week 1 with or without Drew Brees.

4 more years Zod.

I can only hope your political predictions are as dead-on as your fantasy football ones!   :D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2004, 11:41 AM »
WOOHOO!  I ran the board this week with all 4 of my fantasy teams.  That's a great start in my book.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2004, 01:07 PM »
How'd I do? I'm on a PC thats got windows 95 and can't take much action.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...