Author Topic: Inked Cabin  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Inked Cabin
« on: September 25, 2004, 03:17 PM »
Thoughts?

Here's a inked cabin at sunset that I've been working on for a week or two. I'm not happy with the figure's silouette so I'll go back and touch that up some - and I'll also add a few stars in the sky. This took me a pretty long time, and I know it's nowhere near as good as you guys' ink work... But I'm pleased with it.

This will be the opening page for the Twilight Zone comic I've been working on. Off to a good, slow start.

Oh, and for the record - I used Sharpes, India Inked brushes, an airbrush, and white prisma color (for the chimney smoke). I'll be using white acrylic for the stars, I believe.

If it's somewhat blurry in a few spots, that's because I had to scan it a few times - it's larger than my scanner.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 03:21 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Inked Cabin
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 12:52 AM »
Not too bad Brad. I will give my 2˘ though...

1. Make the light source in the cabin more dramatic. Have it blur a bit on the outer cabin wall and cast a window of light (faded or softer than the window light) on the ground.

2. Make the cabin lines a bit thicker and soften your background shades. Foreground is by nature darker and more detailed and the tones get softer and more hazy as they fade back. Think about what the central focus is and put all your dramatic lights and darks there (cabin). Then balance the others around those shades and tints. The cabin is not pushed out enough and it sort of blends with the other shades around it. Make everything else a vehicle to guide the eye to the cabin. The dramatic light works, but you have elements you can tinker with to radiate inward and guide the eye there.

3. Your sky is great, but it consumes a lot of the picture space and composition. Always think about what you want to be the central focus and make it a picture of that rather than the supporting elements.

4. Acrylic for the sky is an okay idea, but I do recommend (and abuse) correction fluid pens. I like the Bic Wite Out pas the best. You have to squeeze and shake, but they give the most consistent flow. You press the tip down and squeeze a bit and then dot where you want or spread the pool released around. I stopped using Pro Wite because I would have to do three coats before I felt satisfied with the coverage. Ayway, they will help with any corrections and to dot your sky. The other thing you might try is a liquid acrylic and mask off the areas you do not want stars. Then use a toothbrush and flick your galaxies on there. Any you don't want can be easilly blacked out.

While I question some of your materials choices, I do think it is a nice thing and can get even better. The experimentation is important. Try everything you can to get a taste or feel for the different materials, techniques and styles you can use.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
Re: Inked Cabin
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2004, 10:25 AM »
Nice work, I don’t mind the silhouette at all, it’s a bit stylized, but gives a good identifiable form, which in this case I think is more important than realism. The drawing suits “Twilight Zone” very well, the first thing I thought of was Edgar Allan Poe actually, the picture it bears a striking melancholy.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini