Author Topic: 2005 Cantina Wave  (Read 29077 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2005 Cantina Wave
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2004, 09:57 AM »
From the EE site:

Description: 
Star Wars - Post Original Trilogy Collection 3 3/4 inch Basic Action Figure Assortment Wave 2. Includes all-new vintage-style packaging that resembles the original line of Kenner Star Wars action figures. These are NOT in Original Trilogy Collection packaging. All figures are in new "Post" Original Trilogy Collection packaging. Contains 12 individually packaged action figures including 2x Feltipern Trevagg (NEW), 2x Myo (NEW), 2x Dannik Jerriko (NEW), 1x Sandtrooper - Tatooine Search (Older figure, slightly repainted, new packaging), 1x Stormtrooper - Death Star Attack (Same figure as OTC #16, but with new packaging), 1x Scout Trooper - Endor Raid (Same figure as OTC #11, but with new packaging), 1x Han Solo - Mos Eisley Escape (Same figure as OTC #7, but with new packaging), 1x Chewbacca - Hoth Escape (Same figure as OTC #8, but with new packaging), and 1x Yoda - Dagobah Training (Same figure as OTC #2, but with new packaging). (Subject to change).

So... they can afford to crank out new carded versions for 2005 (we, the carded collectors, salute you Hasbro  ::)) but they are still giving us re-hashed re-hashes???  If you are going to take the time to draw up new cards and everything, why not at least pick "new" older figures to rehash?

I'd understand if they were straight re-releases of the OTC versions, and I even understand Yoda because he's relatively new figure, BUT giving us yet ANOTHER version of that dang Cantina Han Solo blows.   >:( 

Would it have been SOOOOOO hard to do Bespin Arrival Han Solo?  Or how about Hoth Escape Han to go with Hoth Escape Chewie!  Cantina Han is now hands down the winner of the re-release contest:

1) - Commtech
2) - 2004 Saga "gold stripe card"
3) - 2004 Hall of Fame
4) - OTC
5) - Wal-Mart C-3PO Carry Case
6) - Sam's Club Falcon
7) - 2005 Star Wars card
8?) - Target Figure w/Cup wave 2

Yet another missed opportunity.  I'd have gone with:

1x Han Solo - Mos Eisley Escape Bespin Arrival (using the PotJ Bespin Han)
1x Chewbacca - Hoth Escape Bespin Escape (using Saga Cloud City Chewie)

At least Hasbro kinda seems to be listening by getting some army builders in this case...  :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2004, 10:27 AM »
They should have taken the rereleased Chewie and Han, and instead given us a rerelease of the McQuarrie Stormtrooper, or just packed the case with army builders rather than having 1 of each. It also would have been nice to have more than 2 of the new figures, since the repacks in that case are going to clog the pegs.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2004, 10:36 AM »
That is exactly the same scenario I was hoping for Jeff.  If they have to re-release figures, at least make some different choices once in awhile.  I always enjoy Han and Chewie figures, but we've seen more than enough of these two versions (Cantina and Falcon Mechanic).  I would have definitely enjoyed seeing the POTJ Bespin Han and Cloud City Chewbacca on the OTC-style cards, and it seems to make perfect sense.  Either that, or just re-release the VOTC versions...yeah, I know, wishful thinking.

The troopers are a good idea, although of course the VOTC Stormie would be better.  Otherwise, its always good to have Imperial Troops on the pegs like this.  The Yoda doesn't bother me too much, because it is basically the best Yoda we've seen.  Not surprised they are all rehashes, but it is still a little bit disappointing.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2004, 03:21 PM »
The Sandtrooper looks great on the card.  I agree, not releasing Bespin Han is curious.  It's a great figure and it hasn't been around in years. 

And we need a new Carbonite Han!  And a Stormtrooper Han and an Endor Han and... 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2004, 03:47 PM »

AND

Post-OTC Wave2, Rev2

Looks like we can add Dagobah Luke and ANH Vader to the 2005 re-hash-o-rama list too  ::)

edit:  Looks like we can add yet ANOTHER case to the mix...

Post-OTC Wave2, Rev1 - Due January 2005:

2x Feltipern Trevagg (Cantina Encounter)
3x Myo (Cantina Encounter)
2x Dannik Jerriko (Cantina Encounter)
1x Han Solo (Mos Eisley Escape)
1x Chewbacca (Hoth Escape)
1x Yoda (Dagobah Training)
1x Luke Skywalker (Dagobah Training)
1x Darth Vader (Death Star Hangar)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 10:15 AM by Nataku »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2004, 09:36 AM »

Some new hi-res shots of these three dudes, they look amazing

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2004, 09:43 AM »
These all do look very nice, and I can't wait for them to start showing up in stores.  Thanks for the pics Scott.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2004, 02:38 PM »

Some new hi-res shots of these three dudes, they look amazing

I'm still waiting to see the first shot of Dannik without his tentacle thingees, before I ultimately decide what my thoughts are on this figure.  Aside from those though, the rest of him, and the other two definitely look amazing.  I'm assuming Dannik's going to have a couple holes in his face when those things aren't in there, which probably won't look so hot.  I guess we'll just have to pretend that they're really big dimples...   :P

Hasbro's really raising the bar right now with a couple of these upcoming waves (and likely ROTS figures), but I'm nervous to get my hopes up too much, for fear that it doesn't last, as is often the case...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2004, 02:40 PM »
I agree Matt...he's going to look like a complete tool with two large holes in his face methinks.  Otherwise, this wave is killer and they have been keeping that bar with articulation right where it should be to the joy of everyone

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2004, 03:09 PM »
BLARGH. that about says it for me.
I find most of the new figures to be really chalky and disgruntled. Awkward poses and bad paint jobs. Even in these photos, you can see paint bleeding out of the lines. I feel as though quality has gone down, where sculpt has kicked it up a small notch. The only one here I even like is the Gotal. He looks good. the rest are poo poo to me.

.. except maybe the sandtrooper...

.. but i have one.. ..or a lot.. (a lot)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2004, 07:28 AM »
That Dannik is going to suck big time without those tentacles.  Too bad, since I was hoping to display without them, but it just wont look right.  Anyone feel these will be shipping in the next few weeks?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2004, 12:31 PM »
Here's a nice photo of the 3 Cantina Dudes all lined up together...

It's gonna be interesting to see that first picture of the un-tentacled nose of Dannik...  :-\

Jeff

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2004, 01:26 PM »
Jeff, where did you get the images?  Are these showing up?  Sandtroopers.com claim they are.  Anyone?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2004, 01:49 PM »
Jeff, where did you get the images?  Are these showing up?  Sandtroopers.com claim they are.  Anyone?

Got the image from a source who picked them up in Asia.

I haven't seen any confirmed sightings of this wave in the USA yet (confirmed meaning a pic w/receipt), just a lot of conjecture and rumors so far.

They are still listed as November arrival date at EE, so they could show up soon though  :-\

Jeff

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2004, 03:21 PM »
They are still listed as November arrival date at EE, so they could show up soon though  :-\

What a difference a day makes... EE is now pushing back the arrival date of some of the Cantina Wave boxes...  >:(

Post-OTC Wave2 - Due November 2004 January 2005

Post-OTC Wave2, Rev1 - Due January 2005

Post-OTC Wave2, Rev2 - Due November 2004

Shouldn't be too long and that last case will get pushed back into January too...

Jeff