Author Topic: Hoth Han Revisited  (Read 9137 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Hoth Han Revisited
« on: September 22, 2004, 11:29 AM »

When pictures first surfaced of the Saga Hoth Han figure, the Collecting World suddenly was divided into two camps.  One who thought the coat should be Blue like the Vintage version and one who thought it should be Brown like the POTF2 version.  Most photographic evidence from the film stills support the Brown group.  Now, with the release of the DVD there is even more support for the Brownies.

Staff member Dave Castle was kind enough to take some shots of the DVD some of which come from the Empire of Dreams and some of which come from the Production Stills both of which are on the 4th Disc of the Set.  I don't think there needs to be much more proof than what is presented here in these shots.

So many will question, why in the world did Kenner back in the day make Han's coat the Navy Blue Color it is?  Quite simply, they messed up.  This wasn't uncommon as the Blue Snaggletooth, the bodies of the rest of Cantina Aliens, 2-1B's legs and the 4-LOM and Zuckuss name switcheroo testify to this.  In fact, thanks to one of the neater pieces of Vintage Memorabilia, Bill Cable of CreatureCantina.com, at one time was in the possession of the actual licensing slick used by LucasFilm to tell Kenner and other license holders how Han in Hoth Gear should look in their merchandise.

If you look closely at the Slick you see a bunch of different numbers and codes, one of which calls out the Jacket as 405U. 

These codes correspond to a Pantone Color.  Pantone is used in the Graphics Art industry as universal color system.  Consulting a Pantone Color Chart one comes up with:

BROWN!  Kenner may have read the slick wrong, gotten too far into figure production and LucasFilm not really being the control freaks they are today let them slide on the error.  Perhaps there was a screw up at the factory and the switch was made then.  Perhaps the Brown didn't look right and they wanted Han to stand out.  Any of these could have happened. 

I have yet to see as much proof or reasoning from anyone from the Blue crowd.  I've been waiting since 1999...prove me wrong
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 11:46 AM by OCB »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Hoth Han Revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 11:42 AM »
#1 - Hey!  This is the OTC, not Saga!   :P

#2 - I'm with Jesse on this one.  I don't really care if it was dark brown or dark blue, why'd they make his legs so messed up?  For the Taun-Taun?  Big deal, I already have one of those!  Where's my super-articulated Hoth Han?   >:(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 12:59 PM »
Well I  know it's brown from all the evidence of photos etc.  However, when I watch the films for some reason it still appears to be blueish to me.  I don't think it's because of Kenner's blue coat either.   It must have something to do with lighting or all the snow on the jacket? 

The brown just does not hit me in face and my mind screams BROWN COLOR! 

I have also noticed this with Imperial officer's uniforms.  Sometimes they look grey and other times a dull green.  Especially in the ESB.  At least they do to me. 

At least Hasbro made both versions. 

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 09:27 PM »
I've come to a reasoning to accept the Blue coat theory (even if its bunk) and that's since Han wore a blue jacket inside the Hoth base and on Bespin, he must have a blue winter coat. Han is a fashion-savvy kinda guy, so he color coordinates his wardrobe appropiately. :) Besides blue is way cooler than brown!!!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 11:59 PM »
Han's coat was brown and Han's holster and holster straps were really blue.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 01:06 AM »
Hoth Han doesn't have a decent figure to this day...  That's my only gripe, ever.  I think it's a brown coat though, but I always did.  The photos from the DVD do tend to influence that thought even more IMO though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 09:07 AM »
I meant to comment on this a yesterday but the DVD hammers home another point, the entire Echo Base is absolutely bathed in Blue Light.  All of the X-Wings and Snowspeeder are blue, the snow and ice are blue, the rebel uniforms are blue and it makes Han's coat look blue...

EXCEPT when he goes to go and get on his Tauntaun and go and look for Luke, there it is yellow light and there you can see the BROWN coat return

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: December 1, 2004, 10:40 PM »
Hyperspace Members should check this out

Han in Echo Base...BROWN COAT!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: December 1, 2004, 11:30 PM »
hah  :D

Anyway, I checked it out Scott, and after this photo...  To me if you're still arguing blue for any reason other than you think it simply looks better, there's really not much argument.  I lightened that shot, and it's REALLY brown.  Not a hint of blue. 

No doubt to me at this point.  I believed it was brown before, but now this just solidifies it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #9 on: December 1, 2004, 11:56 PM »
Due to the article and picture being on hyperspace and thus being viewable to a limited crowd, I declare that it can not be submitted as evidence to the brown coat theory. Sorry brown coaters, but Lucas screwed you guys over!!  ;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 2, 2004, 08:29 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Scott.  Yeah, that picture definitely shows that the coat is brown...brown as brown can be the way it looks.  I will admit, growing up, I always thought it was blue...maybe partially because of the Kenner figure, or partially because of crappy VHS quality :).  I don't think there is any doubt now that it is brown, if there ever was.  I will admit though, I think I liked blue better :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: December 2, 2004, 07:40 PM »
Jason.

Check your mail.   :P

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 7, 2004, 04:32 PM »
The sad thing is both the blue and brown ones were encumbered with "Dynamic" sculpt and Action feature.

Coincidently those are two of the leading killers of Action figures today (suffocation being the #1 killer, since there are those who inhumanely leave them encased in plastic)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: December 7, 2004, 09:23 PM »
Amen Paul.

Han never was all "action posed" like that in the film in that outfit, and short of sticking them on Taun-Tauns, the Hoth Han sucks. 

The arms are great, but he really needed a neutral pose, no action feature, and just good articulation.

I'd have liked a cloth hood and removable hat, but that's me.  It's doable.  :)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 8, 2004, 08:20 AM »
The arms are great, but he really needed a neutral pose, no action feature, and just good articulation.

I'd have liked a cloth hood and removable hat, but that's me.  It's doable.  :)

Not to sound all sappy....but "you had me at "neutral pose"..... :'(