Author Topic: Have you ever used something around the house in a way it wasn't intended to be?  (Read 3217 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Have you ever been doing something around the house and needed something, but didn't have exactly what you needed, so you end up substituting something else for that purpose?

Confused yet?  :D

Let me give you an example:

Today, I was putting up some new shelves in my living room, and I was putting one right above my television. The tv is pretty big and heavy (36") so I really didn't want to move it, but I didn't want it to get covered in debris from the wall I was drilling into for the anchors. So I needed a dropcloth. Only problem is, I don't have a dropcloth. So what's a guy to do?

I went over to the window, took down one of my curtains, and placed it over the television. Drilled my holes, cleaned up the dropcloth curtain, and put it back on the window.

Anybody else ever use household items in other "creative" ways??  ;D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
I have once used a garbage bag as a raincoat. I have used my stove as a storage place for extra pots and pans.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Oh, heck...
Who among us has never used the dime or butter knife in place of a straight blade screwdriver from time to time.

But don't try the reverse....
it takes forever to butter a piece of toast with a dime!
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
Have you ever been doing something around the house and needed something, but didn't have exactly what you needed, so you end up substituting something else for that purpose?

Confused yet?  :D

Let me give you an example:

Today, I was putting up some new shelves in my living room, and I was putting one right above my television. The tv is pretty big and heavy (36") so I really didn't want to move it, but I didn't want it to get covered in debris from the wall I was drilling into for the anchors. So I needed a dropcloth. Only problem is, I don't have a dropcloth. So what's a guy to do?

I went over to the window, took down one of my curtains, and placed it over the television. Drilled my holes, cleaned up the dropcloth curtain, and put it back on the window.

Anybody else ever use household items in other "creative" ways??  ;D

I would have a fit... the curtains??  I hope these weren't "good" curtains.   Why not a big towel?  an older comforter/blanket?  That gives me the shivers just thinking about trying to clean those curtains.   

Hmm... the oven isn't a bad place to store items, if I could remember they were in there before I turned the oven on...

I use a large antique steamer trunk for my coffee table... it provides extra storage inside- although it is mostly filled w/ those Tricon E1 Cups and Toppers- argh!
Also, an old player piano bench is being used in my little entryway to pile lap blankets, etc.
Use coffee mugs for cereal bowls.

still shivering about the curtains...
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
I would have a fit... the curtains??  I hope these weren't "good" curtains.   Why not a big towel?  an older comforter/blanket?  That gives me the shivers just thinking about trying to clean those curtains.

Well, towels were in the bathroom, blankets are in the spare room at the back of the apartment... and I was in the Living Room at the front of the apartment - and so were the curtains. What's the difference. And what exactly would "good" curtains be considered? The dust/dirt brushed right off, and I was done in a flash.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
I read the title of this, and maybe I'm just a perv but immediately thoughts of a personal moment with your significant other came to mind...

Namely for me a kitchen counter that wasn't utilized for dicing up vegies one time.

Just something about this one's title struck me REAL funny Dave.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Who has'nt used a coke can to smoke tobacco ;)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Who has'nt used a coke can to smoke tobacco ;)

It was usually a beer can for me  ;)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile

Well, towels were in the bathroom, blankets are in the spare room at the back of the apartment... and I was in the Living Room at the front of the apartment - and so were the curtains. What's the difference. And what exactly would "good" curtains be considered? The dust/dirt brushed right off, and I was done in a flash.

A mans man---i would do the same thing
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
I guess I'm a girly girl- yep, I have spent money on pedicures and highlights instead of action figures at times, and my toenails are bright pink....
good curtains? well, ones that just took enough time/money to get and wouldn't be easily replaced if they got messed up.
It isn't a slam on you, it's more that I can be rather anal sometimes about things around the house... something I'm going to have to get a little more laid- back about to since I'm raising a little boy with a LOT of energy...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
I guess I'm a girly girl- yep, I have spent money on pedicures and highlights instead of action figures at times, and my toenails are bright pink....

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

Wait, don't leave...  Seriously, I know I just quoted SW to you but don't leave. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
What's wrong with bright pink toenails?

:)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 08:58 AM by Angry Ewok »

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

Wait, don't leave...  Seriously, I know I just quoted SW to you but don't leave. 

very funny... but guys that can quote me SW are not exactly the type I runaway from, in fact, just the opposite- but alas, you have a girlfriend... who doesn't need to worry about anything because I don't go after married or attached men- honest!  sorry, have had lots of jealous girlfriends issues lately it seems...

Hmm... what color toenails do you think young Beru has?   hmm... just in case I decide to skip buying boots for my costume...

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Hmm... what color toenails do you think young Beru has?   hmm... just in case I decide to skip buying boots for my costume...

Bright blue, same as the milk.
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
I was thinking kinda crusty ones with sand under them...  Not attractive at all, but what I was imagining.

Leia however seems like she'd have a pedicure done and all that jazz.