Author Topic: Conan to Replace Leno in 2009!!!! (UPDATE: Leno to Replace Conan in 2010!!!!)  (Read 31916 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Conan to Replace Leno in 2009!!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Funny how they want from two late-night hits to two ratings bombs just by moving each show up into an earlier time slot.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 8, 2010, 07:12 AM »
I was reading this yesterday and thought it a bit interesting, but not necessarily suprising.   I'm a huge Leno fan, and although Conan can be funny, he's just not Leno IMO.  I've watched a lot of Leno's 9PM CST show and enjoyed it. I usually end up DVRing it and flipping through to watch the monologue, whatever "skit" might be going, headlines, and stuff like that.  Rarely do I watch the interviews...I could care less most of the time.

What I don't want to see is Leno being a half hour show after the news at night.  I'm not sure what to do with Conan, but from what I've read, the late night NBC ratings tanked when the switch was made. 

Oh well, just my thoughts on it.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 8, 2010, 07:38 AM »
**** Leno.

Conan has been nothing but loyal to NBC and they turn around and **** him over.  He should tell them to screw off and jump ship to a competing network.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 8, 2010, 08:27 AM »
I've stated my opinion in this link as to why I think Conans funny and Leno isn't. But no matter what side your on I think you have to admit that if they really only give Conan a year that is BS. I know a part of it is Leno's bad ratings in his new show but still.........
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: January 8, 2010, 03:52 PM »
By most people's accounts there's no clue how Conan would've performed had Leno just disappeared...  A lot blame his lead-in since lead-ins can impact even the morning news ratings. 

Total BS...  Conan's getting completely hosed for Leno's lame-ass "safe" comedy style.  Blech.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 8, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Leno's lame-ass "safe" comedy style.  Blech.

Not to mention entirely unfunny.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 8, 2010, 04:11 PM »
Leno always reminds me of Doritos everytime I see his face.

Long Live Conan!
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Conan isn't having it:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/conan-obrien-says-he-wont-do-tonight-show-following-leno/?hp

Conan O’Brien Says He Won’t Host ‘Tonight Show’ Following Leno
By BILL CARTER

Conan O’Brien says he will not host “The Tonight Show” if it is moved to 12:05 a.m.

In a statement Tuesday afternoon, Mr. O’Brien said he cannot participate “in what I honestly believe is its destruction.”

Mr. O’Brien’s comments come two days after NBC formally outlined a plan to move “The Jay Leno Show” to 11:35 p.m. in March, elbowing Mr. O’Brien’s “Tonight Show” back half an hour. Mr. Leno seems supportive of the plan; but in his statement, Mr. O’Brien rejects it outright. The statement reads:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

After 16 years making a name with his distinctive brand of intellectually silly comedy on NBC’s “Late Night” show, Mr. O’Brien replaced Mr. Leno as the host of “The Tonight Show” a mere seven months ago. He is just the fifth man to lead ”Tonight,” after Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson and Mr. Leno.

Mr. Leno, meanwhile, moved to prime time in September as the host of “The Jay Leno Show.” But the 10 p.m. experiment was a bust for many NBC affiliates, which have seen the ratings for their late local newscasts plummet.

Amid mounting pressure to scrap the talk show, NBC announced on Sunday that Mr. Leno’s last show at 10 p.m. would be Feb. 11. NBC will begin showing the Winter Olympics the next day, setting the stage for a new schedule on March 1. But the network acknowledged that day that Mr. O’Brien was not yet on board with the move.

Fox has expressed interest in starting a late-night show starring Mr. O’Brien — provided he found a way to extricate himself from his NBC contract. The contractual complications were outlined in this story in Tuesday’s New York Times.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Good for him.

Conan's and Letterman's monologues last night were great (read Ferguson's was also, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Long live Conan.  Let NBC do what they will - no one wants to watch Jay Leno at 9, why would they an hour and a half later?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Conan's letter about WHY he's leaving is 10x funnier than anything Jay Leno said through his entire ****storm of 10pm shows ripping off any/every comic venue he could think of, and doing it poorly to boot.

Conan's Tonight Show wasn't as good as his Late Night was...  He was edgier on that, and I think bumping to the pre-midnight timeslot hurt him because they were looking for someone old people would migrate with and he ain't that.  But whatever...  Leno's a tool.

I hope Letterman dominates Leno now.  I know my parents have switched, and I think it's a permanent thing for them...  I hope they're the average then, and that Leno's basically inheriting second fiddle to Letterman.  Letterman's an edgier guy.  Leno takes the easy road.  I know what I prefer, but I'm not the typical audience at that hour either I don't think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 10:55 AM »
Since I don't watch any of these shows (I'm in bed by 10), does that mean that the Tonight Show is officially dead after the million years its been on?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Nothing's been decided, yet.  NBC could decide to give The Tonight Show back to Leno and pay Conan the $60 million penalty for breaking his contract.  I assume if NBC attempts to force Conan to host The Tonight Show at midnight that Conan will just not show up for work and he'll be in breach of contract.  I don't know how that would play out, though... how long the contract stipulates Conan can miss work before he's fired.  I know NBC can move The Tonight Show to midnight under Conan's contract.  It's very tricky.  If they call what Jay hosts at 11:30 "The Tonight Show" or attempt to expand the Leno show to an hour they owe Conan $60 million.  But I don't know what happens if Conan refuses to move to midnight... if that's effectively a resignation or if Conan has some leverage.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 08:12 PM »
I actually like Leno.  The only problem I have with his show is that it's basically the same stuff over and over.  The Headlines and Jaywalking has been done to death now. If I tune it's kind of funny but we have seen now for two decades.  I am kind of surprised they are screwing over Conan like they are.  He'll end up doing fine elsewhere.  I would almost like to see him go to a cable channel since there would not be as much restrictions on what he could do.