Author Topic: Conan to Replace Leno in 2009!!!! (UPDATE: Leno to Replace Conan in 2010!!!!)  (Read 31913 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Unfortunately he was not able to keep "The World's Most Dangerous Band".
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
NBC confirms O'Brien exit

Conan O'Brien inks severance deal with NBC

Conan O'Brien and NBC reached a deal Thursday to terminate the comedian's contract just seven months after was named host of "The Tonight Show."

The network also announced that Jay Leno will return as host of "The Tonight Show" on March 1.

The statement did not provide details on the agreement. But people familiar with the negotiations said O'Brien stands to receive a severance payment of about $32 million plus about $12 million for his staff.

The deal is said to contain a clause that would prohibit both O'Brien and NBC from making disparaging comments about each other in public. It will also strip O'Brien of intellectual property rights to characters he created during his tenure at NBC, such as Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, according to people familiar with the terms

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Just got back to the hotel from seeing the show in LA! Curious to see how much of the show gets cut tonight...due to language and gestures...hehe.
Seeing the show in person was a blast!
Sucks that tommorrow is the last show.
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Part of last nites show on ye ol' Youtube... "**** the bastards, they can't take a joke!" Robin Williams... Priceless!  ;D

Robin Williams Gets Wild On Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien Part 1

Robin Williams Gets Wild On Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien Part 2

Yeah, Conan's last show tonite. **** NBC!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Tom Hanks is one tonight. That should be okay.

But it's Will Farrell I'm looking more forward too. I won't be surprised if he drops trowel in front of Conan. Hell he's practically done it already in that ridiculously small Leprechaun outfit from a few years ago when Conan did Late Night.

I won't be returning to watch Leno. I am not 100% convince of Leno's sincerity in all of this. And I don't think he's as entertaining as Conan is.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Oh well Coco gets $30 million to leave and will probably get another $50 mil at some other network.  Poor Conan.  LOL!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Maybe I missed somehting between Tom Hanks coming out and Neil Young singing or maybe Lynard Skynard ended some other show, but I didn't get the last thing we saw on that show being all about Will Ferrel singing Free Bird.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
I thought it was a perfect ending.  Ferrell started and ended the run, Young was ******* fantastic on Long May You Run and Free Bird was a very fitting thing to end it on.  It was probably very liberating to get out of the last two weeks of hell hole.  About the only thing I thought was lame was the pregnant hippie in there.  But I choked up along with CoCo on his speech right before the end and during the montage during the monologue

I hope Letterman continues to kick Lenos ass and NBC realizes they hitched to the totally wrong horse.  I get the whole ratings fiasco, I get that Leno drew more and was beating Dave.  But for totally selfish reasons, I loved the 7 months we got and I hope that people who did watch Conan speak with their remotes and don't tune in to Leno.   I don't feel bad for him though, like DB says, he got his money and he is going to get paid again in the fall. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Still LOL'ing at that title edit.

Nice job, Rob.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Indeed, a stroke of genius on his part, and I'm sure anything I came up with would be worse than wat Rob came up with.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Call it divine inspiration.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Does anyone know if Conan's contract prevents him from appearing on TV until his new show starts? Because I could totally see him being a guest on Letterman the night Leno returns. He could even "fight" Stewart and Colbert again.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
While we don't know the intimate details of his contract it appears that he is barred from hosting a show, so guest appearances may be permitted.

I too thought it would be great to see Coco on another show as a guest. Letterman would be near perfect for that. I know I'd tune in for that one.

And yes, I'm not going to be watching Leno when he comes back. I didn't care much for him before finding him to boring most of the time. Leno is too "safe." Conan was a bit more risky, but ultimately more entertaining, IMO.

When Conan does come back, I really hope he can find a way to bring back certain characters from the show, albeit in a different format.

Masterbating Bear? How about a giant masterbating chicken instead?
Triumph the Insult Comic Dog? How about Conquest the cagey cat, or Manny the pissed-off Poodle?

I just think it sucks that some of these characters in essence have been written off. While individually they may not have been the greatest, collectively they made up a fantastic ensemble funny tidbits.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Was it confirmed Triumph is owned by NBC?  Last I read that was up for debate.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
I just think it sucks that some of these characters in essence have been written off. While individually they may not have been the greatest, collectively they made up a fantastic ensemble funny tidbits.

Intellectual property is a sticky thing. While I understand a company doesn't want an employee going to a competitor and using successful ideas, it almost seems like thought control.