Author Topic: Conan to Replace Leno in 2009!!!! (UPDATE: Leno to Replace Conan in 2010!!!!)  (Read 31908 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Actually, Conan made more than $33M on the deal and his staff got around $12M. So not a bad deal at all for them.

I still think it was a bad idea to change any of it. Barring that Leno should have just retired for good and not had a 10pm show. Though I do understand Leno wanting to have a show. Afterall he was number 1 in his timeslot. So it wasn't like he or his sow was performing badly.

Programming for the 10PM timeslot is all but locked up now. They have Law and Order filling in some of those spots, plus there are a couple of new shows already in production with episodes ready to go after the Olympics.

I'll be interested to see how well Leno does though. I suspect he'll get back a good portion of his viewers, but getting number 1 back may be a little tougher.

Ultimately he probably will get number 1 back, but should Conan get an 11:30 show on a different network, I think he'll give Leno and Letterman a run for their money. I know I"ll be sticking with Coco.

ABC doesn't want to get rid of Nightline, nor Jimmy Kimmel. So I don't see that as an option for Conan. Fox may seem like the best prospect but with Fox cancelling shows long before they should be, the future is not so bright there for Conan.

I personally would love to see Conan get the slot after Lettermen on CBS. Yes, I know there are a lot of Craig Ferguson fans out there, but I don't think they outnumber Conan fans. Besides the ironic continuity of "Late Night" hosts going to CBS would be intact and Letterman and Conan could share barbs against both Leno and NBC.

In any event, I enjoyed the last show of Conan. Freebird was a great choice of song. I'd have loved to have seen him do Bohemian Rhapsody too.

I look forward to Conan returning, hopefully sooner than later. It would be a loss for us all if he didn't return to late night TV, IMO.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Jay Leno wanted to continue to work.  NBC knew that.  He's a workaholic.  Why should NBC have let him go to a competitor since he so obviously wanted to continue working?  If you know anything about Leno, you would know that he was not only doing the show, but he was also playing shows in places like Las Vegas almost every weekend.  He was going to wind up working if he left NBC.  That much was plain as day.  And do you want to compete against the guy who was number 1 for you for 15 years?

Don't count ABC out of the Conan situation.  They want to compete in late night.  Why else would they have been airing Politically Incorrect and Jimmy Kimmel as long as they have?  Nightline has performed well, but there's been plenty of scuttlebutt within the industry that ABC could make a major move in late night for the right show.

Fox presents a different challenge since it will be a different time slot.  Fox only airs 2 hours of network programming every night, allowing the affiliates to run the local news from 10 - 11.  So how will Conan do at 11 PM against the network's local newscasts?  That makes Fox less than ideal.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Conan to slink off into obscurity on TBS...

The offer from Fox must have been insulting if O'Brien is opting for basic cable.  Talk about disappointing...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Stange move to basic cable...But at least he'll be back on the air.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
One thing I think we can both agree on, though, is that the way he edited that title was just about perfect.  Some people probably would have just erased the old title, replaced it altogether with the new, updated title, and called it a day, but not Rob.  He knew that having both phrases in the title was the key to making the whole thing work.  He just has this knack for knowing what sounds good and what doesn't, I guess.  You guys are lucky to have him on board.

I take it all back.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
What i really wanted was to be able to make it say:

Conan to Replace Leno in 2009!!!! (UPDATE: Conan to Replace Leno in 2010!!!! (UPDATE: Conan to Replace Lopez in 2010!!!!))

But it was too long.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
What i really wanted was to be able to make it say:

Conan to Replace Leno in 2009!!!! (UPDATE: Conan to Replace Leno in 2010!!!! (UPDATE: Conan to Replace Lopez in 2010!!!!))

Well, it's just perfect now.  Conan replaced Leno twice!  Who knew?

But it was too long.

[connery]That's exactly what your mother told me over breakfast this morning.[/connery]
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I think I like it how it is now.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
I swear, one of these days, I'm gonna start up my own message board where I can edit thread titles to my heart's content, instead of having to watch helplessly from the sidelines while others screw them up all willy-nilly.

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Just got back from Eugene from seeing his first stop on the tour!  ;D
I imagine from all the video cameras I saw in the crowd it will be on youtube by tommorrow.
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Is that Reno's head from The Professional (with the cap and glasses and all) on Conan's body?  I'm impressed, even though it looks like a quickie version

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I can't take credit, I just found it on Google.  When Leon replaces Conan there will be better examples all over the place I'm sure.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
An hour of Leon drinking milk and tenderly caring for his plant would be more captivating than an hour of the The Tonight Show in it's current incarnation.