Author Topic: OTC POP Display Items  (Read 5018 times)

SilverZ

OTC POP Display Items
« on: September 29, 2004, 02:05 AM »
Not sure this warrants a new thread, but hey. Matt and I were just today discussing the painful thought of developing some Star Wars point of purchase display materials need. Is anyone else making an effort for some OTC display stuff?

I was doing the rounds and came across a TRU that had actually done a really nice job setting up their Star Wars area, and saw a couple things I hadn't seen before. I’ve noticed their cardboard backer boards and things like that before, but nothing in the regular shelf area. But check this out:

First, they had OTC-style shelf liners that were inserted into the 1" wide runners for each shelf, where they place price/inventory stickers. Kinda cool.

Then, jutting out from behind one of those runners was a plastic shelf hanger, about 4x6" of Darth Vader against a black background with the OTC logo on the top, and a "NEW!" burst on the bottom. It filled me with a lustful desire to touch and keep for my very own.

I, umm... took it.  :-\  :-*

And yes, it’s just a little shelf display thing, but I feel awful about my little stunt. My moral fiber is eroding and crumbling away as I type. 

It's the first time I've seen these. Does anyone else's TRU have these up?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: OTC POP Display Items
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 06:48 PM »
I, umm... took it.  :-\  :-*

And yes, it’s just a little shelf display thing, but I feel awful about my little stunt. My moral fiber is eroding and crumbling away as I type.

Uh...  Ditto.   :-[

But my reasoning was that the TRU near me that had it up, has NEVER stocked, nor will they EVER stock, any OTC figures.  So no point whatsoever in them having an OTC shelf dangler up for a non-existant product.  Therefore, I "relieved" them of it...   :P

Cool little sucker.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 03:53 PM »
I would be most pleased to contribute further to the erosion of either or both of your moral fiber(s).  I'd love to have one of those, though not the red x version I am currently seeing.  I love display stuff and fill it in behind the figures for color. 

I will confess to my own sin of removing the door sticker for the DVD release.  It was on the outer door at Walmart and I knew there was no way it would last the night, so I gave it a happy home.  All other DVD related materials I have were either purchased (poster) or acquired with permission.  But I did the same with shelf talkers from the Ep II release.  Most disappointed to not see something similar for the DVD release :-\

Our TRU does have a cardboard backer, about 2-3 long and maybe 8 inches tall along the top of a shelf.  No way I could relieve the store of it, but one manager and I talk civily whenever I am in the store, so I may ask to acquire it some time down the road.  Doubtful I will own it, but I'll try. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:57 PM »
I'll keep my eyes peeled for another one for ya' Bug, but that's the only one I've ever seen to date...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 06:26 PM »
I've been going nuts trying to get my hands on a DVD display. It's one-sided, with Vader on it with his lightsaber ignited. You might have seen it at B&N and Sam Goody.

I talked to ten different people at some stores, and had a good lead at Sam Goody. Unfortunately, they ended up tossing it by mistake. Nuts.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 11:49 PM »
I've been going nuts trying to get my hands on a DVD display. It's one-sided, with Vader on it with his lightsaber ignited. You might have seen it at B&N and Sam Goody.

I talked to ten different people at some stores, and had a good lead at Sam Goody. Unfortunately, they ended up tossing it by mistake. Nuts.

Oooh, you're going to hate me.  I got that the day the DVDs were released.  Bottom of the display has a panel with a Tie chasing an X-wing towards the Death Star?  If that's it, I picked it up at the end of a very unproductive day - 23 stores and only bought a game boy game and the DVDs.  The last store I visited was about to throw it out :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 10:40 AM »
Well, I guess we all know who we need to watch a little more carefully when they come over to our homes now...  :-*
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 01:39 PM »
Well, then I guess now's a good time to tell you Deanpaul - that Jared and I "lifted" a few items out of your backpack when we were hanging out at 3rd Street Promenade with you several months ago...

Doesn't look like you ever noticed though, so it shouldn't be too big a deal, right?  :-*

- M
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 01:40 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 01:43 PM »
Well, then I guess now's a good time to tell you Deanpaul - that Jared and I "lifted" a few items out of your backpack when we were hanging out at 3rd Street Promenade with you several months ago...

Doesn't look like you ever noticed though, so it shouldn't be too big a deal, right?  :-*

- M

Went to California with 5 pair of underwear, returned to Utah with 3. This explains everyting.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 01:45 PM »
Oh, so you did notice...   :-[

Want 'em back?  I'm not terribly attached to the pair I've got, though I think Jared's been wearing the other pair quite frequently.  But I'm sure he could run 'em through the washer once or twice for ya'...

LMK.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 02:02 PM »
Oh, so you did notice...   :-[

Want 'em back?  I'm not terribly attached to the pair I've got, though I think Jared's been wearing the other pair quite frequently.  But I'm sure he could run 'em through the washer once or twice for ya'...

LMK.

Uh, pass. I imagine they're fairly dingy from being washed in a mixed load with your colors **cough** pink sweater **cough** and that they've probably acquired a few permanent skid marks from your last "Havana Omelet".

Jared probably took good care of his pair. I'd take those back, but he can keep the Star Case he displays them in beside his dias.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 02:03 PM by Deanpaul »

SilverZ

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 02:54 PM »
Damn you all for revealing the existence of the ULF.

Let this be a warning to all:

We are the Underwear Liberation Front. Your underwear is not safe. We shall set it free.

SilverZ

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 01:58 AM »
I fixed the image for the shelf hanger.

There's something new to steal that I saw yesterday. TRU (ironic, yet again) had a window decal, about 8-1/2x11" with the same Vader artwork alongside the Falcon.

I really wish someplace, like the Fan Club, or DAMN HASBRO, would offer these things for sale online or something. I really love the OTC design so much that I want to collect anything associated with it, which is a new collecting thing for me. I've been pretty exclusive to 3-3/4" figures and ships and could care less about anything beyond the actual plastic.  :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 11:52 AM »

Oooh, you're going to hate me.  I got that the day the DVDs were released.  Bottom of the display has a panel with a Tie chasing an X-wing towards the Death Star?  If that's it, I picked it up at the end of a very unproductive day - 23 stores and only bought a game boy game and the DVDs.  The last store I visited was about to throw it out :o

Yeah, I asked them for it the day after, and they're like 'Sure, just leave your name and number.'

I go back two weeks later and they tossed it by mistake. I guess it's not a big deal, since I have no place to put it. It was a beuatiful display, though. :'(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk