Author Topic: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show  (Read 67636 times)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show
« on: October 1, 2004, 01:24 AM »
For anyone in the Pgh. area:

The December show will be the first weekend in Dec. as always.  Dec. 4-5, 2005. Only about 2 months away.

Jesse and I had a pretty good time at the last one.  Any questions, feel free to email me  bobafett.fourteen@verizon.net.  Usually some good SW finds, and usually get together w/the PA SW Collecting Society, and we almost always end up dragging our butts to Hooters at some point (usually Sat. afternoon/eve.)
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Pgh toy show
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2004, 03:33 AM »
Matt, think you can make it out here since we go to Hooters?  :)

Seriously though it is a good time, if not a bit of a small show...  Though the December one's the largest one we have actually.  Still, it's no SDCC, but it's fun and we all almost always go home with something.

I know I always buy up the random junk some table is selling...  Got a bag of MLC 3's for customs one year while the table catty-corner from him was trying to sell me one in sad shape for $10.  The bag of 3 were complete and parts were in there for like 3 more...  And I got it for $7.

I found a MIB (inserts, and no stickers applied) A-Wing there years and years ago, a MIMB B-Wing sealed, and my telescoping Luke (long before all the repros of him started to show).  It does yield some interesting fruit at times. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 04:57 PM »
I usually go for the little stuff, and common stuff to plug holes(can always get stuff cheap)

Found some cool foriegn and bootleg SW stuff through the yrs., always grab a vintage item every year, one guy sells the SW ornaments for like $5 a pop.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 09:55 PM »
Took me a while to post, but here's what I grabbed:

A vintage carded 12back sandperson.  Big crease down the center of the card, and some spider veins in the top left corner, some edge wear.   $100.

Carded At-At driver ESB with revenge offer. $10 (actually it was a package deal both for $110)

Also a boxed vintage SW TIE fighter (box was in GREAT shape) $35.
A loose vintage Han Solo blaster $10 (it works great)

Also, just recenly bought a collection from a guy pretty cheap: Sears set/Blue snaggletooth(no box), 2 AT-AT's WITH chin guns, etc., Jabbas playset, mini rigs, about 50-60 vintage loose with and without weapons, tie interceptor, original TIE, battle damaged TIE, 2 X-wings, death star space station, ewok villiage, Dagobah playset, etc. etc.  GOT a good deal on the whole lot, only needed a few vehicles, and the sears set, well worth the $$$ I paid.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 1, 2005, 02:29 PM »
For our limited few, the show's back next weekend at the Monroeville, PA Expo-Mart.  I'm not expecting a huge show but if I have the time free to go I'm gonna try to make it.  Sounded to me like the rest of the local guys (for the most part anyway) were gonna make the run down.

Personally my $'s gearing up for C3 so things locally are taking a back seat.  Plus I gotta get my schoolwork done before I get out to Indy...  I don't want that on my mind while I'm there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 6, 2005, 08:34 AM »
I'm going, and I'll probnably suck it up, and pay the extra $5 ($10 total) to do the early bird entrance.

One of my "newer" areas I'd like to focus on will be Lego figures.  (I've stayed completely away from the Lego sets period up to this point, save for a few $1.99 sets I found on clearance).

I'd like t o get in, and do a quick run through to see if anyone has them in any clearance bins, or whatever I can find.  They aseem reasonably priced right now, and I just have a feeling this will be one of those quirky segments that will catch on as time goes by.

We may do the brews' afterwards. ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: April 6, 2005, 07:33 PM »
I've got a whole collection of Lego SW you can have for what I paid for it Bob, if you wanted. :P

Catch on or not, I don't have room for all these side-things I've bought over the years like MM's, Legos, etc.  Just too much stuff for too little room.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 6, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Just lookin for the Lego figures.  If you have them, I'll take em.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: April 8, 2005, 06:26 AM »
Well, I do Bob, but I've got sets so I'm keeping that junk together.

I'll talk to you Saturday most likely...  Well, god willing I get this paper to where I'm content...  I'll likely just call you during the show this time so I'm not searching you out like last time, haha.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 9, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Good time!  ;D  No raspberry brew  >:(

I picked up a vintage loose Luke ST w/helmet (repro I think) and a vintage loose  Han/Carbonite ($100 for both)

Also an EPI  Gungan sub w/Obi-wan for $5!!!!! (NEVER saw that when they hit retail)

and about 22 old mags w/sw covers for about $20.  MAD, Lucasfilm Fan club, Starlogs, Pop Mechanics, etc.

Observations:

* Animated Clone troopers going for about $12-$15
* Lots of ROTS Red&Blue Guards, clones (pilots, commanders, etc.) all going for about $15ea.  VERY few if any Mas Ammedas to be found-he's a heavy fig.  ;)
* Darth Taters $7.99(tons)
* Lots of vintage carded and loose.  A few store displays, but the store displays were freeaking rediculously high priced!!!!!!!!!!!!    :o

Lots

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 03:23 AM »
I wound up wiht extras of the Outlander wave for $5 each, a couple E1 battledroids for $3-ish each.  I got an IMp. officer (blonde variant) for $5 as well.

I got two beast/junk thingies for customizing.  One's going to be a neat Stormtrooper mount on a swamp planet with another one (it's actually dino bones of some sort) I'll use for a diorama piece.

Got a G.I. Joe I wanted for $8 just for his one accessory thing.  Very cool piece I plan to use for customs.

Nabbed a couple ROTS figs on the way home but nothing special.

Didn't buy much, just wnet home dead-ass tired and slept most of the evening.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 11:01 PM »
Next Pittsburgh Toy show will be held on July 30-31 Sat/Sun at the Monroeville Expomart.

Having a Star Wars theme to it with the release of the movie and all.  There are 1,000 free figures that will be handed out to the first "paying" customers. First come first served until supplies are exhausted.

See you there. 

This show should be very interesting with all the exlusives and all the new stuff hitting now.  I'm sure they'll be lots of wheelin' and dealin' going on for this one.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 01:12 AM »
I truly hate our Toy Show for scalpers though...  It's turned into (well, it's this way every time STar Wars is on a "high" I guess) a scalper's delight...  $15-$20 Ephant Mon's on $3.99 KB cards, every ROTS figure you couldn't find was at the show last go-round...  Pisses me off sometimes.

I think the show is going to be smaller with them breaking it up, but I hope I'm wrong...  I'll be there, but for every Target Clone I see I'll feel like leaving a Cleveland Steamer on their tables.   ::)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 12:40 PM »
July 30-31 eh?

I'll try to make it.

How much is admission? :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 10:34 PM »
$5

There's an "early bird" admission, which a lot of people do for an extra $5 ($10 total)

The reason for the early bird (aside from yet another way to make a buck) is that there's usually a TON of people lined up for the start of the show, by adding a few $ to the admin. it suts down the initial crowd rush  a tad.

This is the first time they've tried a show in July, it's always been a bi-annual event April/Dec.  so we'll see.

Either way, there's a lways a ton of the SW guys there.  A bunch from PSWCS and even some from the OSWCC.  It's fun just to meet and hang out, the brews always seem to taste pretty good afterwards also. ;D