Author Topic: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show  (Read 67604 times)

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
Re: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2011, 10:01 AM »
I know it may be a little early, the show is still 2 weeks away, but since this will be the second steel city I'm setting up at but have not actually knowingly met any JD board members I just thought I'd see who was planning on going. I know Jesse will be there. I don't know if we'll be able to make it to any dinners or whatnot outside of the show but who knows. Things can kinda get away from us when we do events like this since we end up running into a lot of dealers from other events we do. Still, always fun to meet fellow collectors.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Stupid question here - do they do this thing every other month or something? I feel like every time I turn around this show is going on. Aren't most conventions this size usually an annual affair?

Does Pennsylvania just have a high # of toy freaks or does it draw from all over? I lived in PA for almost four years but I have no recollection of it being a major toy hub. That was awhile ago though.

Sounds like a fun time!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2011, 04:36 PM »
They do two or three a year, usually two though, and so there will probably be a gap between this one and the next in December.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2011, 02:46 AM »
Steel City Con is just a week away...  March 4th to the 6th.  The show's going to be another interesting one with Star Wars, Batman, and AFA Graded Figures being given away!

As always, I'll be there wandering around...  It's shaping up that I'll probably attend on Friday this time, but it could vary.  I've got a busy weekend on tap so I'll be there at least one day regardless.

Hope to see you there!

Oh, and check out the Monroeville Mall after the show, if you're into Zombie history...  The mall will be changing some reportedly, and so it may be your last chance to see it with J.C. Penney's where it originally was for the filming of Dawn of the Dead.  Word is the store will be moving to another end of the mall, and where Penney's is now may wind up getting developed into an outdoor portion of the mall or a theater.

Thought I'd just throw this out for the Zombie guys coming to town.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline sabresedge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2011, 02:01 AM »
The show was great as usual(Doug Wangler was entertaining) and I hope everyone got a chance to hit the mall. The next show will be at the end of July and Jeremy Bulloch and Richard Leparmentier(Admiral Motti) will be the SW guests.  8)

James
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2011, 02:18 AM »
Yup and that was right away too...

Are you making it in July James?  I'm not so sure having them so close together is a good idea really because it could burn people out, but I hope not.  I plan on attending as always.

darth punkinhead was right behind you.  That was convenient for running around talking to everyone. :)

I picked up the McQuarrie art off you, and punkinhead sold me a couple Vinty figures which I greatly appreciated.  I got a couple other items for cheap like a Vintage Wave 2 Sidious for only $3 (loose). 

Didn't buy an ASP-7 droid though...  It may be my first show I didn't ipck up at least one.  A guy had one but no prices listed so I passed.  I hate when there's not a sign at least indicating what the prices are because half the sellers tend to be engaged when you come to their table so it's hard to get their time obviously.

Now I need to get the Empire and Jedi portfolios I guess...  You can't own one and not the other two I suppose. :P

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2011, 12:12 PM »
I know I'm a little late posting here but James, were you the guy just across the aisle from me set up next to the DVD guy? Just curious, I was right next to a James who puts on the Columbus Toy Show so I know that wasn't you. If that wasn't you we'll have to meet up at the next show.

Jesse, again, good to meet you. I'm glad I could help on a few figures. Hopefully I'll have some new stuff at the next show. See you then. Hope to meet other board members too.

The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: July 3, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Pittsburgh's Steel City Con returns this month!

Check the front page for all the details, and what you need to know to attend.
http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1309706569,76485,

The show keeps growing and people keep coming from further away, so I'm anxious to attend this event.  It's always a fun time, and a stone's throw from downtown Pittsburgh too so there's a lot to do in the evenings. 

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 9, 2011, 11:04 PM »
I think it should be interesting to see how this show is over the summer. December was more fun than the last show but I think that's because there were more cosplayers and less people there just to get Adam West' autograph. I'll be there again and I have a friend who will be there that not only sells a lot of vintage SW/G1TF/joe but also weapons and accessories for those in need.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2011, 02:42 AM »
That's cool man, I hope we can get some time hanging out and chatting.

I'm not sure what day I'm going yet, but it usually depends on what the group decides.

Summer I'm thinking will be similar to last show.  December's always the biggest.  Not really sure why, but it has always been the larger event.  This one should be good though with Motti/Boba Fett both.

I'll stop by and say hey at least.  I want you to be busy, yet at the same time I want to BS, haha.  It's a catch 22.

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2011, 03:39 PM »
I am going Friday and Sunday
Possibly Saturday

Thanks,
Jim
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Not sure when I'm going yet, which will largely depend on my schedule leading up to, and afterwards, but I'll definitely be going.

Offline sabresedge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2011, 11:21 PM »
I'll be there in the same spot as usual(in the middle with the large display between the "G" and "H" row markers). Stop by and say hey. Just picked up a rather large vintage and modern collection so lots of goodies will be available. 8)

James
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2011, 11:26 PM »
I'll be by for sure.  Just trying to nail down what day I'll actually be there, haha.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #134 on: November 8, 2011, 03:48 AM »
Pittsburgh's Steel City Con returns to the Monroeville Convention Center (minutes from downtown Pittsburgh) this December 2nd - 4th!

The Star Wars guests include Bonnie Piesse (Young Aunt Beru) and Mark Dodson (Salacious Crumb) this time around, but also "The Fonz" Henry Winkler will be there, as well as Margot Kidder and others, so make your plans to attend!

The Hotel Room Block at the Doubletree is expiring this week so act soon to get the discounted rate.  It's a pretty nice hotel near the convention center, and puts you right in the heart of the area's dining and other features.

Also, Zombie fans, this will be one of the last times the Monroeville Mall will be laid out fairly similar to how it was in the original Dawn of the Dead...  Just thought I'd mention this since I know some folks like to stop by to check that out.  J.C. Penney where a lot of the action took place in the film, is being moved to a larger portion of the mall and things, so it won't look much like it used to before long. (not a convention thing I know, but it sort of draws folks in I've noticed, haha)

I'll be there, as well as PSWCS and 501st Legion's Garrison Carida.  The PSWCS and Garrison Carida are doing their Toys For Tots toy drive they do every year in December, and will need help making kids happy this holiday season with unopened toys (preferably Star Wars ones, but I think almost any unopened toy would be accepted).

I'll be wandering around some Friday and possibly other days, so I look forward to seeing any/all who attend.  Contact me privately here if you want to meet up and say hello, or possibly grab dinner after the show Friday!

Take care and see you there!  The December show is always the best!