Author Topic: Question for loose collectors  (Read 3616 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Question for loose collectors
« on: October 4, 2004, 10:24 AM »
I'm a carded collector and always have been.  My question is to you openers here (yes I'm new to this site.)

I will snatch up any rehash or rerelease of a figure if it's on a new card with the exception of the HOF for some reason.

I know that there are very subtle changes to most of the OTC figures, so I would like to know why you guys are collecting this line at all or if you're keeping a carded set.

My apologies if this was already posted...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Question for loose collectors
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2004, 11:54 AM »
Hey Minnesota boy. 

Being a carded/loose collector I can take a stab at this.  The carded stuff in my collection is quite limited, mostly to items of either higher value or greater visual appeal or imperials.  I had many of the imperials on Saga cards, but now the OTC cards simply put those to shame and they've ended up loose, traded or forgotten about. 

For loose, I will buy a rehash predominantly only if something has changed.  Sadly enough, a minor paint change is enough - Jawas, Tusken, Hoth Vader - I'll buy those.  Some of those changes are, IMO, pretty good, X-wing Luke being a prime example with the loss of the bucktooth look.  It's annoying to put a relatively new (POTJ) figure aside like that, but this one just looks less goofy, so it's worth the cost.  I think I need to grab the POTJ Ben too, because I can't find my loose POTJ Ben :-\

I'm not really keeping a carded set, aside from a few figures - all the Vaders, biker scout, stormtrooper, snowtrooper - though strangely I passed on the Tie Pilot ???  I've thought of grabbing the Luke's on US cards (Canadian cards are black saga starburst pattern >:() but that would about cover it.  Just the stuff I like.  Were I still collecting all the figures carded, I would be going ape **** over these cards though, they look great. 

A little of both.  Fortunately I've detrained those completeist urges that others still suffer from.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2004, 01:43 PM »
I'll buy any number of Stormtroopers, Clones, Imperials, whatever army builders wether they've changed or not. Now for Lukes, Leias, Hans, etc - I'll buy rehashes if I feel there's been a big change to it (articulation, newly sculpted head, etc). That said, I haven't picked up a single OTC yet, because I haven't seen any rehases that've changed enough for me to buy them.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2004, 02:18 PM »
I'll buy any number of Stormtroopers, Clones, Imperials, whatever army builders wether they've changed or not. Now for Lukes, Leias, Hans, etc - I'll buy rehashes if I feel there's been a big change to it (articulation, newly sculpted head, etc). That said, I haven't picked up a single OTC yet, because I haven't seen any rehases that've changed enough for me to buy them.

I'm with you.

Imagine if Hasbro started shipping solid cases of the SA clone on the OTC (even though the clone isn't OT) card? I'd spend a lot of money there.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2004, 06:04 PM »
beyond army building I'm a completist (loose), so variances kind of motivate me...  The OTC's testing my patience with that however.  I've skipped plenty from the OTC just because I didn't like the figure in the first place.  Bespin Luke comes to mind, which I find to be too pre-posed, and I hate the action feature.

That said, the army builders snag me quick...  This includes Jawas, Tusken, Gammorean Guard, TIE Pilots, Stormies...  I'll skip the biker scout however because, again, I dislike the figure overall and he's not variant enough to warrant it.

If I see Luke cheap at some point, I'll nab him...  Same with figures like X-Wing Luke, though my POTJ one's "toofless" already by my own handy work.

Same goes for other heavily changed figures I personally don't like...  Bib I'm still wanting to see in person before I buy it or not...  The sculpt's not my favorite, but perhaps the paintjob's really great?  I've seen pictures, and they don't impress me.

But, ultimately, that's my take on buying OTC...  Army builders have been my focus.  Unfortunately I've yet to see the Gam. Guard and Tusken...  Both figures that their new paintjobs wow'd me!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2004, 09:38 AM »
I know that there are very subtle changes to most of the OTC figures, so I would like to know why you guys are collecting this line at all or if you're keeping a carded set.

OTC isn't 100% rehashes (even though it feels like it).  Keep in mind that OTC brought forth 7 brand new figures.   

I'm proud to say that as a loose collector, I've only purchased 4 rehashes, and 2 of them were figures I never bought before (X-Wing Luke and General Lando).  OTC Bespin Luke was enough of a change to merit picking it up.  And the last rehash I picked up (Stormtrooper) is an army builder.  Can't have too many Stormies and I don't blame anyone for picking up extras of Jawas, Snowtroopers, Tuskens, Biker Scouts, etc.  OTC has it's fair share of appeal to loose collectors, especially if they like to build armies.       
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2004, 10:29 AM »
As a loose collector I've passed on most OTC - basically the core characters that have been released several times...

Here's what I think I've bought so far (and opened and customized a few):

Dagobah Luke - 3
Dagobah Yoda - 2
Dagobah R2D2 - 1
Dagobah Obi Wan - 1
Cloud Car Pilot - 8
Lobot - 2
Bespin Leia - 2
Stormtrooper - 5
Scout Trooper - 2
Gamorrean Guard - 1
Jawas - 1
Tusken Raider - 1
AT-ST Han - 2
General Madine - 2
General Lando - 2
Bespin Luke - 2

I'd like an army of those AT-ST Hans...

I haven't bought any vehicles, but I did just order the Y-Wing.

:P
« Last Edit: October 6, 2004, 12:05 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 6, 2004, 04:26 AM »
I think the fun thing about the OTC line, brought on by it's cool retro packaging, is that it's actually caused some loose collectors out there to snatch up some carded figures as well for the first time.  But beyond that, as was mentioned above, there's 7 all new figures (Bespin & Dagobah waves), so those are a must for loose collectors.  I think there's also about 6 or 7 figures that have had their paint jobs upgraded (Jawas, Tusken, Bespin Luke, Gamorrean, etc.), so a lot of people are picking those up again.  Then there's the potential army builders too, like the Storm/Snow/Scout/Scanning Troopers, which people always wind up nabbing extras of.  So I think the OTC line has still been pretty entertaining for loose collectors too.  Granted not quite as exciting as previous lines with many more all new figures.  But that's ok, since OTC's allowing us to save up a little extra for the Ep. 3 onslaught next year!