Author Topic: OTC Y-Wing - Free Shipping  (Read 7328 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: OTC Y-Wing - Free Shipping
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 04:38 PM »
I'll be getting 2! I love me the Y-Wings...sorry. Plus, I want to make a custom Republic Y-Wing...
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

SilverZ

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 07:41 PM »
Mine showed up today and it's thrashed. The ship is ok, but the box looks like its been sitting in a clearance bin for years, and has a big orange sticker slapped on the side. It's a joke.

I was planning on keeping it boxed until I found one locally, but that turned out to be completely pointless and I cracked it open. It's a nice little repaint, I like it.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 03:47 PM »
Completely hit and miss with TRU/Amazon.  Mine arrived at Jim's place, packed loosely in a box :o yet arrived safe and sound with only a little scuffing on the window.  Display quality, something that pleases me as I had no desire to have this one loose. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
OTC Y-Wing hits retail finally!
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 04:00 PM »
Screw Amazon, and their single piece of bubble pack for "packaging materials"...

Sounds like these have turned up at retail finally.  Master_Phruby just chimed in to our SoCal thread and reported finding 5 of them at a local TRU out here, for $30 a pop of course.  Thanks for the scoop Paul!

Time to start hunting!   8)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 04:01 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 04:29 PM »
I'd like to screw Amazon (or an Amazonian anyway) but often I don't have that luxury.  I do try to mitigate the amount of begging I do.  Appreciate the efforts of everyone that helps out, but still, you guys can't pick up absolutely everything for me.  Got mine with the free shipping and as I said above, lucked out with the result, so I can't complain. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 04:51 AM »
Based on Paul's tip, I popped into my local TRU tonight and managed to score a couple of these bad boys myself!  So they're definitely starting to hit in a few different spots.  Looks surprisingly cool actually.  Need one in blue now...   :P

SilverZ

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004, 02:23 PM »
I'll be curious to see if these sell with more success than the Vader TIE, or if folks will be turned off by the EU paintjob.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2004, 02:48 PM »
I'll hazard a guess and say yes, it will be more popular.  I've read that the paint job is largely loathed, based on production photos and early, pre-release comments.  However, I am seeing most people's comments once they have the ship in hand, are fairly positive. 

Couple the positive comments with the relative scarcity of the first release and I think it will move, if only because people can pick up a packaged Y-wing at retail prices.  Add the improved packaging and you have a number of factors that should lead to good sales. 

Vader's Tie, on the other hand, was never really difficult to get.  I managed to pick one up at an online retailer years after it's initial release and year's after they had ceased to be seen on shelves.  It was easy to find and not at an elevated price, so anyone that wanted one probably picked it up.  Only packaging fans would snag this version.  People like me that like the packaging but already own one are patiently waiting for the clearance pricing. 

The pack in figure may influence it too.  Granted the Y-wing pilot is nothing overly spectacular, but it's not as common as a Vader figure, of which there are no less than four versions currently available at retail right now (with some variability in availability of course).  Easy enough to modify gold leader, sure, but at least it's a tiny bit different, isn't it?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2004, 04:04 PM »
Man - I got mine on Tuesday in the mail from Amazon - had excellent packing and came perfectly mint - and of course I opened it.

This Y-Wing ROCKS.  Without a doubt this is the best OTC vehicle in my opinion - and I do have the new Slave I to compare it to.  It looks so freaking cool and adds a lot of life to my ROTJ Rebel Hangar diorama - I can't wait to find another one, I'd pick another up in a heartbeat.

The reason to me that this will totally outsell Vader's TIE and the others is simple - when the POTF2 Y-Wing was released it was impossible to find; the other ships were collecting dust for years... why in the world re-release them?

If Hasbro was really thinking, this is what I think they should have released for the OTC vehicles -

- Y-Wing
- Skiff
- AT-ST
- Cloud Car
- Slave I
- TIE Fighter (with correct wings)

:P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2004, 12:12 PM »
Has the landing gear been fixed?  I have the POTF2 version, and the rear landing gear isn't strong enough to hold the ship up.

I didn't like the paint job, but I saw two of these yesterday and the paint is pretty neat. It's certainly better than the POTF2 version's paint.

I don't like that it costs ten bucks more just for big pretty packaging.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2004, 01:18 AM »
I finally found one of these tonight, and while I'm usually not a fan of EU, I think this new color scheme looks pretty cool on this thing surprisingly.  Still prefer the OT yellow though, but this will look alright hanging on the other side of the ceiling, I think.  So Hasbro's gotten creative with the A-Wing and Y-Wing now.  Think they'll keep going?  Something different with a B-Wing?  I personally wouldn't mind a blue A-Wing like in some of the ROTJ artwork and concept sketches.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2004, 08:42 AM »
I actually saw one of these on the shelf at TRU today, but ended up passing on it for now.  I'm thinking about eventually picking it up, because I'd like to have all the OT vehicles, but for now the $30 pricetag is a bit too high.