Author Topic: The biggest disappointment in video game history  (Read 2038 times)

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
The biggest disappointment in video game history
« on: December 17, 2005, 01:09 PM »
'Tis a sad day for me.  Since it came out in the early 80's, Time Pilot has been one of my favorite video games.  For whatever reason, I could never, ever, ever get past stage 5 - the year 2010.  So I'm playing it on my computer today, kicking some ass, and can you believe it...I make it past 2010!  Years of trying and anticipation, endless quarters stuffed into the machine at the old grocery store at 23rd & Iowa St, and I finally do it.  So after that big UFO explodes and you engage into a time warp again, where does it take you?  Right back to 19-*******-10, the first stage in the game.   :'(  I felt such disappointment, such sadness...I felt like years of effort had all been in vain.  I think I can actually hear the video game gods laughing at me.  Taunting me.

Feeling aggrieved,

John

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest disappointment in video game history
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 02:57 PM »
That game is way old, I think it predates the NES, and only a few of their first gen games had actual endings!! Feel for ya guy, you seem to love the classics as much as I do!! I know I felt pretty jipped at the SMB ending, I wanted more!! Of course I got it with SMB2, now that was an ending!! ;D Superb graphics, lightyears ahead of anyone else!! ;D
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 10:53 PM »
JohnH, I guess I am more amazed that given the vast amount of posts on video games that you were faithful and never peaked on the net to see what happened when you did beat that level! I guess my favorite thing about games, movies, or books (life for that matter) is the journey. Always enjoy the journey and it sounds like you did.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 02:32 AM »
My heart always sank when that last AT-AT led to just another new one appearing in the origina ESB Atari 2600 game.  It sucked ass to the extreme knowing that the Imperial assault was unstoppable.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 08:29 AM »
It's the same with Contra.  You get through it, beat that alien, then it starts over on the NES version.  Kind of a letdown.  Another letdown I can think of was the Virtual Boy.  That whole system was a piece of crap. 

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 12:23 PM »
JohnH, I guess I am more amazed that given the vast amount of posts on video games that you were faithful and never peaked on the net to see what happened when you did beat that level!

It's funny, because I *almost* did that.  :)  I had played a few times yesterday, and thought to myself "Screw it, I'm just going to Google it and see what level 6 looks like."  I got through it the next game I played.

John

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 03:34 PM »
I was disappointed by the lame-ass ending of KOTOR 2.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 09:20 AM »
I still find myself playing time pilot on my laptop, that and afterburner 2 and that dam hyper olympics !!! Cant get past the high jump!!!!
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 03:17 PM »
Never could get past the ufo level in the stand up until I got it for my GBA...the ending sucked...you're right John ...I went flaccid on the spot :( ( when it just cycles)