Author Topic: Ep3 Sneak Preview Anakin's Starfighter  (Read 27052 times)

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
HAve you seen these pictures?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2005, 06:49 AM »
Check out Rebelscum.com for preview photos!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 07:02 AM by Jedirhino »

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Ep3 Sneak Preview Vehicle
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2005, 07:20 AM »
I like, I like. It actually is pretty big, which is good. And detailed too.

Welcome to 2000 Hasbro! It's a standard you've been missing...
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

SilverZ

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Yeah, the starfighter looks good. These things have to be hitting here a lot sooner than the originally planned March.

I don't know how excited I am to know there's a repaint of it coming within a couple months, but hey.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2005, 05:57 PM »
I'm sticking to my guns on scale, but those pictures sure make that thing look big so maybe it is to-scale afterall...

Removable astromech seems intentional, but not "complete" so you could just stick R2 in there or something...  That's odd, unless it's underscaled I don't quite understand why they went that route with things rather than a full socket like the Saga/OTC X-Wing had.

It does look nice so far though.  Better than I was anticipating actually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2005, 07:13 PM »
I don't understand the lame design notion they've developed in the PT that gives all these style-over-function things like droid sockets that don't fit actual droids. As a side effect, it is making lame toy features. Why would we want to remove a halved droid unit?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2005, 07:31 PM »
I dunno either...  Better than it being permanent, but if the ship's designed right it should hold a full droid, so the toy should hold one just fine too...

I still don't see a bottom to the ship though, where a droid would even go.  I mean it's gotta be there, I guess, but where is it?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

SilverZ

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2005, 11:00 PM »
I think that's the problem -- the original ship design doesn't have enough room for a full droid to physically fit (just like the original Jedi Starfighter), and now the toy is movie-accurate. So we get that severed below the shoulders R2 thinger.

Not that is really bothers me, but it just brings up all the issues I have with the look of the movies. Doug Chiang was the next worst thing to happen to the movies, right after McCallum and sloppy storytelling. The look the universe had at the end of AOTC is where it should have started, and Erik Tiemens and Ryan Church should have been there from the start.  >:( But I'm way off topic now...

I dunno either...  Better than it being permanent, but if the ship's designed right it should hold a full droid, so the toy should hold one just fine too...

I still don't see a bottom to the ship though, where a droid would even go.  I mean it's gotta be there, I guess, but where is it?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2005, 11:13 PM »
But why did they continue that flaw?  They explained it away using EU BS for Obi's lame ass "R4" (also lame ass) but why do it again for R2?  There's no reason they couldn't have elongated the back end of the ship for a proper Astromech slot.

PLUS...having the astromech droid in the front of a fighting ship like that seems pretty dumb logistically

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005, 01:11 AM »
I'm perplexed on that whole droid socket thing too, unless there's actually room below there that we can't see.  It's possible...  Otehrwise it's just gonna be rubbish in the film and as a toy.

Either way, it sounds like this stuff's due to hit here in the next couple of weeks folks, as per our report...  It's already there possibly, so maybe some leaks will come of these like the regular line's figures seem to always trickle out too.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2005, 03:48 PM »
at least with the way the naboo starfighter was shown in ep1, the droid was pulled up and locked in the socket. I don't have the toy of it so I don't remember if the r2 was removable or not.  But it looked l ike it fit the entire droid vs obi's jedi starfighter in ep2 with just the head of the droid hard wired into the ship.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

SilverZ

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Yeah, the naboo ships at least made sense.

But it looked l ike it fit the entire droid vs obi's jedi starfighter in ep2 with just the head of the droid hard wired into the ship.

And I think that's how they explained it in EU-BS lore, too... R4 was a droid dome only, and got a body later. It's just lame that such a halfassed idea has now become OK in the functionality of the SW universe that they did it again for the new fighters.

Is there a Target DPCI# for the new ship floating around somewhere? It seems really odd that this isn't out there yet with the Sneak figs spewing out en masse right now.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2005, 07:14 PM »
Is there a Target DPCI# for the new ship floating around somewhere? It seems really odd that this isn't out there yet with the Sneak figs spewing out en masse right now.

Yeah, it's the first post of this thread!   :P

For those of you who like using the DPCI trick at Target:

Post-OTC/2005 Vehicle Assortment ($19.99 each)
Assortment #: 85196
DPCI#: 087-06-1246
* Use this number to help you score the Episode 3 Sneak Preview vehicle!

Enjoy!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2005, 07:42 PM »
Yeah, it's the first post of this thread!   :P

That's 2 pages back! Way too much research for me to attempt.  :P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2005, 08:28 AM »
I was wondering about the Preview ship as well.  Are we supposed to get this starting next Tuesday (the "official" sneak preview date)?  I'm wondering if there is a delay, since it seems like there would have been someone that snagged one early by now.  From all I have seen, it sounds as if the only sightings/purchases have been overseas.  Other than a couple of the Animated figures and maybe some more preview wookiees, this is about the only Star Wars purchase yet to make until the ROTS line arrives in April.  Has the price been mentioned at all for this ship?  I'm guessing in the $20ish range, although $15 would be nicer.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Has the price been mentioned at all for this ship?  I'm guessing in the $20ish range, although $15 would be nicer.

Once again, it's in the first post of this thread!  I better copy the whole thing down again for you lazy people!   :P

For those of you who like using the DPCI trick at Target:

Post-OTC/2005 Vehicle Assortment ($19.99 each)
Assortment #: 85196
DPCI#: 087-06-1246
* Use this number to help you score the Episode 3 Sneak Preview vehicle!

Now we can all keep tabs on when Target gets in Episode 3 Sneak Preview vehicles!

$19.99 according to the Target computer... not suyre about Wal-Mart, but I'd guess in the $8-20 range for them too.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender