Author Topic: "Transition" figures. You buying?  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
"Transition" figures. You buying?
« on: October 14, 2004, 08:33 PM »

So we've finally seen what the new "transition" figures are going to look like, bridging the gap between the OTC and ROTS figures (excluding the all-new Coruscant, Naboo and Cantina figures).  Many more rehashes, as usual.  I guess this is the usual blow to the carded completists, and an additional kick to the nuts to have to buy yet another Commtech Han.   ::)

Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm glad to see them getting more Imperial army builders out, in the Stormtrooper, Biker Scout and the spiffy looking "all new" Sandtrooper (to this transition).  Don't know why they couldn't just continue using the OTC card designs though (except on the prequel figures).  I'm not crazy completist, so I'll only be buying the new Sandtrooper on this transition card.  But it sucks that the real completists now have to buy all of these again:

Dagobah Luke
Commtech Han
Vader
Yoda
Chewbacca
Stormtrooper
Biker Scout

I think that's all of them that we know of so far.  But considering how early all of the "2005" figures are coming out and likely these transition figures too, I wonder if there's going to be even more transition figures coming down the pipeline.  If so, I hope they're "new" ones like the Sandtrooper was in this case.  Still love this card style, so the more figures released on it, the merrier!

So how many of these rehash transition figures do you guys plan on buying?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: "Transition" figures. You buying?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 08:34 PM »
I'm going to buy several of the Troop figs (Stormie, Sandtrooper, and Biker Scout), and the Cantina figs. PASS on everything else.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:16 PM »
I like they took away the rebel/imperial symbol, but I still think the space on the insert should read the movie the fig is from instead of 'Endor raid' or whatever.

And I'm glad Hasbro is getting more Cantina Han's out there, because of the terrible shortage.   ::)

I'll get the Sandtrooper and Scout Trooper, if I haven't found him OTC style by then.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 12:53 AM »
If Sandie's come in flavors, I'll consider it, but I'm pretty set on them personally...

Beyond that, it's more the same...  The Han is just astounding.  I feel like someone punched me in the stomach.

I swear to god, there's a WM near me that has that Han Solo on 3 different cards.  :)  I'm just astonished.  If I could, I'd take the guy that said to repack that thing again, grab him by the throat, and make him look at that peg of Han's at my one WM.  I mean...  Seriously, go to a store ya morons, go to a god damned store.

Oh yeah, and actually look while you're there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 02:04 AM »
Bring on the Sandtrooper!!
Hell they can rerelease all the potf2 line again as long as it's on these cardbacks and i wouldn't care.
Say it with me
Best cardback ever!!
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 02:11 AM »
Ah hell, that sucks but I'm going to have to grab them all (as a carded completist). Hopefully this transition crap doesn't last too long. Minor changes to existing OTC repacks like this are going to realy challenge my resolve to stick to the complete carded mantra.

I still hate the color blob they made in place of the OTC logo.

And why, oh, why must they float the Sandtroopers binoculars in the bubble, and on top of the Dewback, no less? Are they intentionally ******* with us?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 09:00 AM »
I still hate the color blob they made in place of the OTC logo.

And why, oh, why must they float the Sandtroopers binoculars in the bubble, and on top of the Dewback, no less? Are they intentionally ******* with us?

Both good points.  I really don't like the look of that color blob either, where the OTC logo used to be.  Just doesn't look.....right, to me at least.  And, with the Sandtrooper, they had an opportunity to really make a nice "scene" with the backdrop and a pretty nice figure, but the binoculars make it less than perfect.

Personally, I doubt I'll be picking up any of these.  Maybe the Sandtrooper (or two, since I only have one from the POTJ days).  Otherwise, I'll probably be passing.  Might pick up extra troopers here or there, depending on budget.  Otherwise, they can ease up on this repacking business any time soon, or at least repack something different.  Would it have killed them to repack a Bespin Han or Cloud City Chewie?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 10:08 AM »
Well, I like the Sandtrooper, I definitely do. But I bought a couple of the 4-pack sets back when they were releasing those (one of the best ideas Hasbro ever had, by the way), so getting more sandtroopers is questionable. I may pick up another scout or two, and I guess I could grab another Stormie or ten.

I'm really waiting for the Cantina guys though. They are keeping me interested in the line.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 10:13 AM »
>:(

There are now THREE case assortments for the Cantina wave!

Post-OTC Wave2 - Due November 2004:

2x Feltipern Trevagg (Cantina Encounter)
2x Myo (Cantina Encounter)
2x Dannik Jerriko (Cantina Encounter)
1x Stormtrooper (Death Star Attack)
1x Sandtrooper (Tatooine Search)
1x Scout Trooper (Endor Raid)
1x Han Solo (Mos Eisley Escape)
1x Chewbacca (Hoth Escape)
1x Yoda (Dagobah Training)

Post-OTC Wave2, Rev1 - Due January 2005:

2x Feltipern Trevagg (Cantina Encounter)
3x Myo (Cantina Encounter)
1x Han Solo (Mos Eisley Escape)
1x Chewbacca (Hoth Escape)
1x Yoda (Dagobah Training)
1x Luke Skywalker (Dagobah Training)
1x Darth Vader (Death Star Hangar)

Post-OTC Wave2, Rev2 - Due January 2005:

3x Feltipern Trevagg (Cantina Encounter)
2x Myo (Cantina Encounter)
1x Stormtrooper (Death Star Attack)
1x Sandtrooper (Tatooine Search)
1x Scout Trooper (Endor Raid)
1x Luke Skywalker (Dagobah Training)
1x Darth Vader (Death Star Hangar)

So, that's 16 carded figures for the 2005 line so far.  8 NEW figures, and 8 repack figures.   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 10:20 AM »
[sarcasm] 50/50, that's not so bad, right? [/sarcasm]  I guess the bright side is, the "new" Cantina figs are packed fairly well, and coming in a few different assortments...and the repacks are only 1 per case.  Still wish they would have made a few different choices for repacks though.

Also, seeing as these are "scheduled" for November 2004, and the other two waves have already shown up online (and maybe in stores by Christmas as well), what are we going to have as far as Star Wars product until the ROTS hype begins?  3 Clone Wars Animated Figures and a Preview wave over a span of 3 months or so?  I guess I won't complain though, it will give me a chance to save up for the ROTS onslaught :).  Trying to remember, when did the AOTC preview wave show up?  March-ish?  I think I remembered seeing it at Wal-Mart around that time, and actually being quite psyched when I found that Clone and Jango Fett ;).

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 10:21 AM »
Well, at least these guys should be easy to find!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 10:46 AM »
Notice one case is November and the other 2 are January :-\

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 06:33 PM »
"Transition" figures. You buying?

Yep.  Every last one of 'em.   :-[

I'm definitely stoked on the "new" Sandie.  Looks sweet on this styled card (as most figures would).  I wish they could've done a few more like him, rather than just rehashing a bunch from the OTC line.  Lame.  But as a carded (and loose) completist, I'm obliged to buy them (and be Hasbro's bitch once again)...

I agree too that on newly styled insert.  Not nearly as slick looking, though I do like it a little better without the respective insignia up at the top.  Granted it looks a little "empty" up there now.  Maybe they should've put a small pic of an X-Wing/Tie Fighter dual up there in it's place.  Or the Falcon.  Or something to that effect.

Curious also if this is really going to be the end of things up until the Ep. 3 line (with the Preview wave being included, of course).  Guess a little breather for a couple months leading into Ep. 3 wouldn't be too bad though.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 06:54 PM »
I'll get most of them, but I'll pass on Han and Chewie.

I'll buy many army builders, if store selection permits. I'd like to get my hands on about five more Stormtroopers since the VOTC one isn't showing up here, and it's too expensive anyway.

I'll buy the Luke Dagobah if it's in the handstand pose. Haven't found that one on the OTC card. (Hell, I'm still looking for the new likeness Leia on OTC card...)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 09:49 AM »
So we'll see a bunch of Feltipern Trevagg and Han Solo, while the sandies, stormies, and scouties will dissappear in no time.  I guess Dannik Jerriko will hang around since he's such an ugly mofo.

I'll get the new figures and look for the Sandtrooopers and Stormtroopers, and that will have to last me.