Author Topic: The Mustafar Playset...  (Read 32132 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Mustafar Playset...
« Reply #105 on: June 2, 2005, 11:39 AM »
My wife wanted to know what I wanted for Father's Day.  I told her to buy this Mustafar Set.  I thought by now it would have come out.  We can't find it anyplace around me. 

I don't think it's the best playset but for $30 including 2 halfway decent figures I'll take it.  I like the fact that Vader's limbs detach.  I am hoping Hasbro makes the conference room someday and we can attach it to this playset.  The hallway would be nice to where Anakin and Kenobi square off.  Although both of those things are probably pushing it as far as Hasbro is concerned.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #106 on: June 3, 2005, 05:30 PM »
I just saw some Mustafar sets at both Target and KB, where they were $30 each, just like TRU and WM.  So it looks like this set is now finally seeing a wide release everywhere.  Interesting to note that all the ones I've seen have been double taped, so it looks like Hasbro must've had to go back into the packages for some reason and change something and retape it a second time, which might explain the extra delay for the past month.

Hopefully the MIA Gunship's gonna get the same treatment here soon...

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #107 on: June 3, 2005, 07:24 PM »
I read on sandtroopers.com that in some sets Anakin had Obi-wan's saber and vice versa.

Maybe that is what they changed ;)
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 4, 2005, 03:25 PM »
I just saw some Mustafar sets at both Target and KB, where they were $30 each, just like TRU and WM.  So it looks like this set is now finally seeing a wide release everywhere.  Interesting to note that all the ones I've seen have been double taped, so it looks like Hasbro must've had to go back into the packages for some reason and change something and retape it a second time, which might explain the extra delay for the past month.

Hopefully the MIA Gunship's gonna get the same treatment here soon...

They're all up in Canada Matt, Gunship and Mustafar.  I can find them at multiple stores just sitting around. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 4, 2005, 09:39 PM »
I picked it up today. Couldn't wait for it. And it's neat, but I really feel the void left by the absense of Anakin #50. I need butchered, burning Annie for this scene! ;D

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 5, 2005, 10:53 AM »
I don't think it's the best playset but for $30 including 2 halfway decent figures I'll take it.  I like the fact that Vader's limbs detach.

Uh - your Vader/Anakin figure that came with the Mustafar playset has limbs that detach?

I went back and checked my Anakin figure from the playset and he doesn't have any removeable parts at all.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 5, 2005, 02:46 PM »
Did you pull hard enough? :P

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 5, 2005, 04:22 PM »
I bought the set yesterday.  Anakin's limbs don't detach on mine either.  And he's only got 5 points of articulation so unless I'm supposed to rip his arms off at the shoulder and his legs off at the waist, I'm pulling hard enough to tell you that nothing detaches..

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 5, 2005, 05:22 PM »
Isn't the pack-in just a regular Anakin #2?

It might be time to break out the old exacto knife ;D

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 5, 2005, 06:59 PM »
Maybe Broem was making an assumption about the limbs? He said he doesn't have it yet...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 5, 2005, 07:27 PM »
Isn't the pack-in just a regular Anakin #2?

Nope - new (inferior) Anakin, new (inferior) Obi-Wan.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 5, 2005, 07:48 PM »
These two figures aren't even of the same quality of the Battle Arena figures - the shoulders aren't even ball-jointed as to allow for greater poseability in the figure.

The head sculpt of the Obi-Wan isn't bad - he looks tired, worn-down. The Anakin head sculpt on the other hand is straight out of the POTF/EP1 era complete with ridiculous facial expression.

Hasbro just continues to seem to have problems sculpting accurate representations of the Skywalker boys (Anakin AND Luke) IMHO.

I generally like the playset, there could have been more to it. Hasbro could easily ADD to it which is nice, here's hoping they do in the form of the ROTS equivalent of the AOTC Separatist Leader three-packs - having a "strategy room" with control panels and central console would be a nice addition to this playset. I would definitely be willing to pay $30 each to get three figures and a nice playset segment - as long as the figures are nicely done.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 6, 2005, 08:28 AM »
I don't think it's the best playset but for $30 including 2 halfway decent figures I'll take it.  I like the fact that Vader's limbs detach.

Uh - your Vader/Anakin figure that came with the Mustafar playset has limbs that detach?

I went back and checked my Anakin figure from the playset and he doesn't have any removeable parts at all.

Oh sorry.  I swore I saw one of the main websites that showed off the Mustafar Playset  had the legs and left arm detached.  Maybe they did some fancy Photoshop effets?  It was not the Mustafar battle damaged Anakin either.  Oooops!   I guess I fell for that. 

No, I don't have the set yet.  I saw it briefly at my Toys R Us the other night.  I am moving soon and decided not to buy it until after that.  I don't want to lug anything else along.  Plus, the wife would probably be ticked if I bought it right now.  Ha-ha!

UPDATE

This is where I saw the legs and arms detached.  This photo from those apparent liars Rebelscum.  How dare they trick me. 

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=ROTS/rots05mustafarscene4.jpg

« Last Edit: June 6, 2005, 08:33 AM by Darth Broem »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 6, 2005, 09:03 AM »
I finally, carefully, opened up the Mustafar playset this weekend.  I was careful, because I still wasn't entirely sure I wanted to keep it.  After opening it, I'm still not sure.  Its kind of neat, and I guess I wanted it just from the standpoint that I personally don't have any Star Wars playsets, and I thought that was a real cool part of the vintage line.  Its not that it is a bad playset, or really, a bad value for the size/price of it...but I guess it just didn't "wow" me.  It wasn't something I opened and thought "wow, this is awesome".  Plus, the way it is designed (those walkways going to the back) it is kind of a pain (at least for me) to fit on a shelf.  The front seems to hang over on all of mine, but again, that's not Hasbro or the playsets' fault.  Its not like they have to be designed to fit on someone's shelf ;).  I'm torn on it, thinking about packing it back up in the box right now and that I might have been better putting my $30 towards a vintage playset of some sort.  I might have just been expecting too much though, I'd probably love it if I was a kid.  Anyways, like I said, not a bad playset really...and a fair price overall....but I just wasn't "wowed" by it.  Still debating whether to display it or pack it up.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2005, 09:20 PM »
Has anyone bought the Battle Arenas to attach to the Mustafar playset? Do they look decent? Do they fit well?