Author Topic: The Mustafar Playset...  (Read 32293 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Mustafar Playset...
« Reply #90 on: May 7, 2005, 03:54 PM »
I like that the Battle Arena bases and the Deluxe Darth Vader operating table clicks in with the playset - however, we all know that the operating table isn't on Mustafar so it's kind of a useless feature.

Actually, no we don't all know that.   ;)  (Us non-spoiler types)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 9, 2005, 03:44 PM »
I like that the Battle Arena bases and the Deluxe Darth Vader operating table clicks in with the playset - however, we all know that the operating table isn't on Mustafar so it's kind of a useless feature.

Actually, no we don't all know that.   ;)  (Us non-spoiler types)

Sorry Jesse - I thought spoilers were okay in this folder. With the comic book and the novel both out for a while now (and the fact that I read both) to me all of the details of the movie seem common place - so much so that on May 19th - for me it's just a chance to enjoy the visuals.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

SilverZ

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2005, 12:32 AM »
It's in stock at Target.com in case anyone is interested.

Mustafar Playset

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2005, 04:03 PM »
Okay, so I found the playset at Wal-Mart a couple of hours ago and I just had time to sit down and really look at it, assemble it, and so on.  So, I wanted to give everyone a quick heads-up as to the dimensions of this thing, what I think the shortcomings are as well as the high points, and my overall satisfaction with it.

First of all, the thing is about as big as it looks in the photographs we've seen.  Looking at it from the front area (the spot with the door at the base) here are the dimensions:

-14" from the left edge of the magma to the front point of the doorbase
-10.25" from the front point of the doorbase to the right side of the magma (although the "lava plume" extends this to between 2 to 4")
-5.50" from the bottom of the base to the top of the catwalk on the front above the door
-10" from the bottom of the base to the lip of the volcano
-13" from the front point of the base to the back of the volcano lip platform (not including the arms that jut out)
-16" width from one side of the magma at the base to the other (left to right)
-Each of the arms that jut out from the back are 10" long themselves and the little fins on the end are 6.25" tall
-The entire playset is 22-23" long, 14" high, and 21" wide at its highest measurements in every direction

(keep in mind these are all estimates)

The quick and dirty review...

The figures: about what you would expect, quality-wise, from the Deluxe assortment.  The lightsabers are like those included with the Basic assortment (meaning the hilts are painted, but they are one piece).  Articulation is standard at the neck, shoulders, waist, and hips.  One thing I did notice is that the plastic used for their legs is hollow, which kind of bugged me.

Obi-Wan looks exhausted but he doesn't have any kind of burns on him (although his "skirt" looks a bit ragged) and his stance is relatively neutral.  It's about the level of an Episode I figure in terms of quality molding, so there you go with that.

Vader has tons of little nicks and cuts sculpted into his arms and chest, but the paint doesn't bring them out at all; they're just little sculpted details that aren't highlighted.  One particularly deep cut on his right arm could have shown seared flesh, but no dice.  The head sculpt is right out of the Episode I era (it reminds me of the Cinema Scene Qui-Gon, as far as the facial expression goes).  It's not nearly as bad as the Swoop Anakin or Deluxe Anakin(s) from Saga, but it's not as acceptable as the Tatooine Attack Anakin from Saga either.

And no, his eyes are not yellow, which disappointed me, but I haven't seen the film yet, so it could be accurate at that point.

The problem with the figures is that once again, Hasbro has used the rubber bands to the detriment of the actual toy.  First of all, each comes packaged holding the other's saber, but the rubber bands have warped the hands to such a degree that putting the lightsabers in their hands is impossible (especially for Obi-Wan, who can't hold a saber in either hand; Anakin can at least hold it in one).  This to me is just simply unacceptable in this day and age.  Not to insult anyone who collects ships/playsets boxed, but when it's called a "PLAYSET", I don't think that the presentation of the figures in the window should go beyond what the old Joes used to do with the little window card thing.  How can you have the "Final Duel" when neither of them will hold their sabers?

Okay, the playset itself.  First of all, the Vader Table does attach to the back of the hallway facing outward, and the Battle Arenas (up to 3) can attach to the front of the playset.  The little discs (I don't know what they're supposed to be) sit rather precariously on the lava plume (which thankfully is the cover of lava, unlike the photos which showed it as white) and the top part of the plume spins around rather freely.  The plume and its top are held in place by little metal rods (think Unleashed) with rubber covers over them to keep the fit tight but removable.

The magma balls are hollow and there are two of them.  The little eruption action works okay, but if there is anything in the actual volcano, the lever (done to look like rock) sticks out at an odd angle on the left side.  The color of the top and bottom parts of the volcano mountain are uniform in color (again, unlike some photos I'd seen) and although you can see the "seam" between the two, that is expected I suppose.

The arms are pretty interesting and thankfully the collapsing mechanism seems to work a lot better than the horrible collapsing catwalk on the Episode I Theed Hangar playset.  The playset comes with these little "ropes" with wrist cuffs on each end so you can hang Vader or Ben off the bottom of the platform for "mid air dueling."  These actually work pretty well, as the clips fit securely around either Vader's wrist(s) or the upper left arm of Ben's (due to the fact that his wrists are thinner than the clip).  The clip on the other end of each one can be clipped onto a small piece that juts out on the inside rung of either playset arms (which I have just seen in the "Art of" book referred to as "Collection Arms" or something).

The problem that these arms cause is that they extend so far past the back of the playset itself, they cause the set to tip a little bit backward due to the extra weight.  It doesn't cause it to fall over or anything, but there is a lean to it that shouldn't be there.  Right now, I have the arms kind of lightly pressed against a wall to support them without putting something under them, but I'll probably be removing the arms completely when I put it up for display, which sucks.

The "lava pool flip" thing is pretty corny, but it does have a rather gory spoiler on the flipside.  Basically, you can send Vader sliding down the side of the volcano and he will fall through the lava trap door.  Mine doesn't automatically flip to the other side, but when you do flip it, instead of just red lava with bits on rock in it, you have red lava, bits of rock, and a single black glove reaching out.  I found that very cool.   ;D

The backside of the playset is pretty much empty.  The way the top part of the volcano hooks onto the bottom part makes a kind of shelf in the interior though, so I guess you could do a little scene or something in there if you were so inclined.  There isn't any detailing on the walls though (like the Arena had), so you'd probably need to dress it a little.  The hallway is cool, with a slight dip near the end of one end, and is what it is: a hallway under a volcano.

One of the things that struck me as kind of neat has nothing to do with the actual playset actions themselves, but the way the mountain seems to be molded.  I got a really big sense of deja vu when I saw it all put together, because the angles of the mountain are very similar to the vintage Dagobah playset.  It's not exact or anything, but the proportions and what is elevated, where holes are, and so on are similar. 

Overall, I thought it was a decent toy for the price, although I was a little disappointed with the balance issue and the almost total inability of Vader and Obi-Wan to hold their respective (or each other's) lightsabers due to Hasbro and their stupid little rubber bands warping the hands.  With kids being more interested in video games these days, I don't think a lot of them will give a damn about this piece, and a lot of collectors will probably leave them boxed up, but that being said, I had a bit of fun playing around with it.  Plus, I'm sure I'll be fiddling with it even more next week once I've seen the film and know what those big ass "collector arms" are for, where stuff happens in the film, where the hallway goes, and so on.

So was it worth 30 bucks?  If you're going to open it and display it, I'd say yeah, probably.  It's not a vintage Death Star or anything like that, but it's still a nice piece that has some fun features.  I'd actually rank it as a better piece than the Arena (on a whole) because it's more than just a facade, it doesn't rely on stickers and cardboard cutouts (a pet peeve of mine) for ambience, and it was cheaper but just as well constructed and designed (if not moreso) as the Arena.

There you go.  Anybody have any questions that they would like to ask about it for things I didn't cover in my (ridiculously nonlinear and disorganized) review?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 07:01 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2005, 05:38 PM »
Nice synopsis.

Sooo, was it worth the $30+?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2005, 10:59 AM »
Just a quick update (and this one is most likely a spoiler, even though I could be wrong) on the "flipping lava pool."  After closer inspection, it appears the hand that is reaching out of the lava is a left hand.  Think about that for a second.

The Deluxe Vader with operating table has no left hand from the elbow down, so I would assume that it gets chopped off at some point before the lava consumes him.  We know he still has the robotic arm when he comes out of the lava, going by the figure again, but no left arm.  It appears that Hasbro made a mistake with this one, although it bothers me much less than the rubber bands warping the hands so much they can't hold their lightsabers once removed from the package.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2005, 05:04 PM »
Finally saw one of these at walmart, still doesn't impress me like I'd hoped it would. after seeing the movie, it just doesn't seem like it captures the true essence of the scene.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2005, 03:33 AM »
Mustafar's one of those things that, if they wanted to, smaller sets that interlocked would do better than attempting one larger set that's just massively undersized for the scale of the finale.

It's like the Death Star...  To me you can't really capture it in a large playset with scaled down features.  I saw the set early (haven't seen one in stores yet though), and it just seemed to be better suited to Action Fleet scale.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2005, 08:24 PM »
After nearly 2 months, I finally found one of these damned things at TRU a couple days ago.  Smaller box than I was expecting (at least width-wise).  Haven't opened it yet to partake in all the "play value" goodness though.  Should be interesting to see how well these sell, 'cause if they do well at retail, I won't be buying Hasbro's bull**** excuse any longer about not being able to make playsets 'cause they don't sell at all...  ::)

BTW, nice review there Michael.  8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 08:24 PM by JediMAC »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Interesting at how hard these have been to find.  They seem to be shipping in very low quantities... same goes for the Gunship.

:P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 1, 2005, 12:30 AM »
I had one of these in my hands yesterday, but decided to leave it.  Between the amount of space it would take up and the lack of "wow" power when I looked at it, I decided to spend my $40 elsewhere.

But I must say, DoctorPadawan, your wonderful review has me rethinking this decision.  Perhaps the fun of setting it up will provide the "wow" power that simply looking at the box is lacking...   :)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 1, 2005, 11:48 AM »
Well, now that I've seen the film, I guess I can amend the original review (or at the very least offer some caveats to it) as far as how faithful it is to the Mustafar we saw in ROTS.

As far as film accuracy goes, there isn't a lot of it going on, but it's a toy so it couldn't be completely film accurate.  The "collector arms" are a lot smaller than in the film, but the "collapsing" mechanism is film-accurate and the placement of the "cords" is as well, meaning you could probably reenact Obi-Wan's "swing" from the arm onto the repulsor platform if you were so inclined.

And on further inspection, the little pegs that hold the lava plume into the side of the mountain are not metal like the Unleashed figures at all, but a dark grey plastic with a clear rubber sheath around them.  And after time (and especially with the figures standing on the floating platforms that I now guess are supposed to be droid heads) the lava plume starts to sag, so be warned that you may want to display the figures on some other part of the playset.   :-\

I can't help thinking that it would be very cool if Hasbro did another series of cinema scenes with three Separatist leaders (Nute, Tambor metallic repaint, and Po Nudo) in one set and two others (Shu Mai's aide, Rune Haako, and Vader with hood and yellow eyes) in the other set.  Each could include half of the "war room" floor and control panels, extra Neimoidian guns that aren't bigger than an ICBM missle, and possibly half of the center table/holo projector.  Then do a mailaway where if you send in the POP (or a packed in coupon), you could get a free (resculpted) Emperor Palpatine hologram figure to put on the table.  Will this happen?  Of course not. 

The reason I bring this up is that while the Vader Table hooks on to the back of the playset (a nice touch), they could still do the floor of the War Room at a 20 dollar price point (see the Jedi Council sets), offer three figures, and a chance for an exclusive figure, PLUS it would add to the Mustafar playset overall.  Am I dreaming here?

Okay, the only gripe I have with this playset is the hand (as I said in the original rundown, it's the wrong hand, but now that I've seen the movie, it isn't actually submerged...although I suppose the left arm could not be quite dead yet and trying to find the elbow from whence it was severed) coming out of the lava, and that's overlookable.  I am confused about two points though and was hoping that someone might have some insight.

1.  On the left side near the bottom of the volcano, there are two pegs for standing a figure on.  What I'm wondering about is that the magma has a "lip" that looks like it should be able to lie on top of something (and the side of the mountain under that lip is flush with minor sculpting topography), but it's still too small for another Battle Arena to fit there.  Anybody?

2.  I asked this about a month or two ago in the "Burning Questions" thread, but does anyone know what in the world that golden column thing is for that comes with the #27 Obi-Wan Jedi Kick figure?  I don't have the playset in front of me right now, and I didn't think to at the time, but the underside of that column has a square slot and a round hole that suggests it attaches to something, and the detail of it (and the Obi-Wan figure itself) leads me to believe it may hook up to a part of the playset as one of those thin railings that Obi-Wan and Vader walk out onto at one point over the lava.  Thoughts?

But yes, overall, I give the playset a thumbs up.  It's worth 30 bucks (to me at least) and in terms of play value is slightly more than the Arena from Saga, but less than the vintage Death Star; probably equal to Dagobah, I would guess.  Just don't go into it expecting something massive or monumental; just something that is fun to have around. :)

SilverZ

« Reply #102 on: June 1, 2005, 09:28 PM »
Thanks for the update, DocP... it almost makes me want to shell out the cash for one. But not quite.  ;)

The TRU close to here finally recieved the set, placed them on an end cap in the middle of the store, and there they've sat. They're not moving. Of all the placed to over-order this thing, it had to be the place that will never clearance in.  ::) If I could find this for 19.99 down the road, I'd be more comfortable picking it up. T

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 1, 2005, 10:49 PM »
Doc, Padme came with a Lava and Steel base, maybe that locks in?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 2, 2005, 09:53 AM »
Doc, Padme came with a Lava and Steel base, maybe that locks in?

That was actually the first base I went to (Vader's Med Droid and Threepio come with the same one; the Polis Massan's is the same sculpt but in different colors) when I got the set, but as yet I haven't found anywhere that it can hook on to the actual playset.  It does, however, hook onto the side of the Vader Operating Table, which hooks on the back of the playset itself, so that works out pretty well.

Plus, each of the bases that come with Padme/Threepio/VMD/Polis Massan can be hooked to one another by the "teeth" or by the little slot/pegs on the sides, so you can do a "jumping from place to place" type of thing with Obi-Wan and Vader if you were so inclined.  And yes, I did try this and while they don't hook directly to it, they still look fairly cool. :)

On a semi-related note (since we're talking about interactivity and all), the Padme/et al bases also connect to the "hallway" bases that come with many of the Coruscant-based Collection 2 figures, which I thought was pretty cool.  Each of those hallway bases can also connect to the Vader Operating Table, but none of the "fauna" bases (as with Secura/AT-TE Gunner and their ilk) can connect to anything other than themselves.  It seems as if you should be able to connect four of the hallway bases together to make one "square" but as yet I have not found a way to do it that doesn't result in open spaces in the middle.