Author Topic: The Mustafar Playset...  (Read 32129 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Mustafar Playset...
« Reply #75 on: April 6, 2005, 08:05 AM »
Well I saw the Gunship, ARC-170, and Battle Arenas (at various stores).  I thought maybe I just missed Mustafar.  I was debating on getting it April 10th for the Holo Yoda.  I will probably bite on their exclusive Anakin Jedistarfighter exclusive instead.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2005, 01:57 PM »
I didn't see many (or any) comments on seeing this up close and personal at C3, so I'm guessing it wasn't overly impressive to many...or maybe just old news to most.  I'm pretty sure I read a report somewhere online today that someone found this at Wal-Mart for $29.99-ish, so maybe it will start showing up in the next month or so.  Is anyone still planning on picking this up?  If you went to C3, did it look "worth it" in person?  I've been considering getting it, just because I skipped/missed out on the Arena playset, and this might be the last big playset we get for awhile in the Star Wars line.  Although, I really don't know where I'm going to put it, I could try to figure something out :).

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2005, 03:16 PM »
I'm curious about the piece too, but my concern is more with the size of the thing.  I'm a horrible judge of scale/distance/measurement, and the thing looks to me like it's pretty big from the photos.  Then again, I could be looking at it completely wrong and it's more along the lines of the vintage Dagobah playset.

If you figure in that the figures would be about five bucks on their own, that gives us roughly a 20 dollar pricepoint for the playset.  The last playset that was 20 bucks was the Theed Generator Complex for Episode I, and while I really loved that playset in general (I hated the Hangar), it was pretty skimpy on its own. 

So yeah, what I'm wondering is how does it compare in terms of scale to the Naboo stuff from Episode I, the Arena from AOTC, and the Dagobah playset from the vintage days, plus if it seems to be a little sturdier than the awful POTF2 Hoth and Endor playsets. 

The one redeeming factor for the Mustafar set so far is that they didn't pointlessly attach one of those Big Ass Cannons to it at a random point. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2005, 03:35 PM »
$20?  I'm thinking this thing will be $30-40 ala the Arena Set.

This thing has turd written all over it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2005, 03:38 PM »
I'm not too impressed with it... but I do think it will look decent when set up in my room.

:P

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Well, I did see it up close, and it wasn't all that great.

The "lava" on the playset varies from red to pink and back, not consistent and kinda lame.  :(

The Obi-Wan and Anakin pack-in figures are OK, but nothing great.  Decent likenesses with the basic articulation.  It seemed to be about the same size as the Arena Plaset.  Larger than the Vinty Dagobah set for sure, but not as big as the vinty DS playset.

It has a bunch of built in action features that are OK, but I'd just use it for a diorama peice anyway.  Overall, it was OK, but not "AMAZING" like the Evolution sets were.

I believe I saw a $30-40 price point listed for it...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2005, 04:09 PM »
I saw it, wasn't impresssed and don't plan to buy it. :(
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2005, 09:12 AM »
I saw it and what struck me about it is the lava or color of the lava.  As in I don't like it.  However, it did look similar to the Lucasfilm Archives volcano prop.  I don't know if Hasbro just started to early on it?  I don't know.  I may or may not get this. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2005, 02:19 PM »
I am hoping it can be repainted easily.  I want to go for this type of color when I repaint mine (once I find one of course) -

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2005, 02:22 PM »
They should be starting to pop up now, there were 2 at our local Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon ($29.97).  I picked one up, for now, but haven't opened it because I'm not sure if I will keep it or not.  Part of me wants to, and the other part realizes I may not have the space.  I'm going to try to work some type of display out, if I can keep it from getting cluttered.  Might be the last big playset we get for awhile, and I skipped the Arenas last time and sort of regretted it, so I decided to pick it up.  Anyways...if it has shown up here, it should be showing up everywhere pretty soon I would think.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 6, 2005, 02:48 PM »
Has anyone else picked up the playset, or intend to?  I found one at Wal-Mart a week or so ago, and picked it up, but kept the receipt and left it unopened for now.  I was curious what anyone (who has opened up/seen this playset loose) thought of it.  I'm debating on whether or not I really need it, or if I should take it back.  I don't know if it is the kid in me, wanting a "playset" for the figures, but at my age it isn't really going to be used for anything more than a display piece for the ROTS shelf.  I guess if nothing else, it might be fun for our nephews (or kids someday) to play with too.  Anyways, just wondering what anyone else thinks of the playset?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 6, 2005, 02:55 PM »
I have a friend who bought it too... but he hasn't opened it.  I still can't find one.

I say open it!   :)

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #87 on: May 6, 2005, 03:04 PM »
Yeah open it.  That way I will now if I need to shell out 30 bucks. :-X

I like my Arena playset.  I made the big diorama out of it.  I dunked it in some sand, so that it sticks in front of it for a feet or two and did the droid factory thing on the back.

I fear the Mustafar one is weak by comparison but I need some input.

someone out there...OPEN IT :D
Gatillo
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #88 on: May 6, 2005, 03:23 PM »
I'm really considering getting this. It looks kinda cheesy, but $30 really isn't bad. Plus this is THE pivotal scene of the flick.

I don't have any big playsets (kind of wishing I'd gotten the Arena but didn't have the money at the time), but it would make a great centerpiece for a ROTS display or for that matter my Clone Wars Separatists display.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 7, 2005, 01:10 PM »
Well - I opened my second one up this morning and to be honest, it's not BAD, but it's not stellar either.

I like that the Battle Arena bases and the Deluxe Darth Vader operating table clicks in with the playset - however, we all know that the operating table isn't on Mustafar so it's kind of a useless feature.

I would have rather they worked the underside of the Volcano into a control room or the conference room we've seen in pictures.

It is what it is for $30.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!