Author Topic: The Mustafar Playset...  (Read 32127 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
The Mustafar Playset...
« on: October 23, 2004, 03:23 AM »
will apperantly be huge. Anyone else looking foward to it? And am I the only one wishing it would come out on April 2nd?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: The Mustafar Playset...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 11:43 AM »
It depends on HOW big, how good it looks and how much it costs. I may pass on it, but i'll wait until we see pics before I make up my mind.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 03:12 PM »
I really want to love the Mustafar playset, and I want my kids to love it as well.

I passed on the Arena playset too - which by "modern" standards qualifies as "huge"... I've only regretted it once, for a moment, then I moved on.

It even came down in price at the end of it's shelf time, but it just never interested me the way vintage stuff like the Death Star, Droid Factory, Ewok Village or even Vader's Star Destroyer did. My kids get a bigger kick out of our vintage Dagobah than they would the Arena...

So here's to hoping Mustafar doesn't suck with stupid flip tricks, cheap plastic (EP I Naboo playsets) and piece of **** add on "Deluxe" sets that add little play value and should have been incorporated into a single set in the first place.

End rant.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 08:38 AM »
I hope that it is a very nice playset as well.  When I first heard of the Arena playset for AOTC, I thought "I have to have it", just because we haven't gotten a large scale playset like that for awhile.  Once I started to see it in stores, I ended up passing though.  I regretted it a little bit at the time, but I don't now at all.  First of all, I don't have the room for it, and looking at it now, it just isn't nearly as impressive.  I might pick up the Mustafar one though, depending on how spiffy it is...and how much it costs.

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 04:11 PM »
It's going to have to be something pretty special for me to buy it.

Thinking about it now, I didn't buy the Arena, or the Naboo sets before it, mostly because they work so poorly as diorama/display pieces. They just look cheap to me. That opinion goes all the way back to the vintage DS. I liked it and played with it, but once I hit a point in time where I liked to just set my toys up in scenes, the SW line never did very well.

GI Joe, though, had great playsets that doubled as dioramas. I had the Flagg, the Joe HQ, the TerrorDrome, and they all felt like fully realized locations and not just a mishmash of gimicks that vaguely resemble a recognizable location.

So I don't know, I'm figuring I'll pass on the Mustafar set, unless it's something really special looking or can double as a diorama set. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 03:10 PM »
I like the Arena for the sole fact that it's the biggest playset we've seen since the vintage days - and it's a pretty cool display piece with all the figures gathered around it.

As for Mustafar, if it's even slightly better than the Arena I will be estatic.

:P

Offline Ranat

• Youngling
  • Giggity Giggity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2004, 04:34 AM »
I never picked up the arena, and have never really regreted it.

In order for me to pick up a playset, its going to have to be something extraordinary.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 3, 2004, 08:39 AM »
Picked up the Arena way back when.  Its now sitting in my attic gathering dust.  The playsets have all been lame, with the exception of the Carbon Chamber which looked decent.  The Mustafar set will be another underscaled disappointment.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 02:45 PM »
The set's confirmation came with the Insider #80 today, as per the front page.

Not much detail released though, but it did say the "Action Assortment" of battling figures will interlock with the playset.  Sounds interesting to me.

Playsets tend not to do well, so I'm going to be curious as to this set's popularity.  If it's nicely done as far as proportions and things, I'm in.  Playsets have the luxury of giving you a to-scale PIECE of a scene.  That's one area that I wish larger vehicles would simply be made into a section and act as a playset rather than a stand-alone vehicle.

As a collector I'd much rather have had something like that than the Sandcrawler as it is now, or say an attempt at a dwarfed down Tantive IV.  That's my take on things though...  LEave bigger vehicles like those to the Action Fleet line, just do them to-scale for it instead.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 04:09 PM »
I am certainly interested to see what they come up.  Of couse we would know more after seeing the duel and all the environments involved with it.  After seeing the trailer it looks like they move from a room and then to the outside volcanic area.  I am assuming the room may come with this playset.  Maybe a landing pad?  Etc.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 04:45 PM »
My guess is that things move from a landing platform to interiors, and then outside.  Sorry, trying to be as vague as possible for the spoiler free.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 04:47 PM »
Connectable to Conference Room Cinema Scene with Confederate Leaders?  :D

PLEASE HASBRO!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 06:36 PM »
Even if it sucks I will buy it.  If it is nice though, I might get two of them and connect them somehow.

:P

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 12:09 PM »
I will pass, I have no room for it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2005, 08:07 AM »
Id have to see it. Depending on price and size.
I remember my dream now.