Author Topic: Canada rejecting mail without complete address  (Read 1730 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Canada rejecting mail without complete address
« on: October 21, 2004, 02:27 PM »
Just a heads up for our friends in other countries, when sending parcels & such.

Check with your Post Office to make sure everything checks out OK before sending, hate to see them send it back! :-\

Security concerns create backlog of items to be returned to sender

Oh, & I guess you should cross your "t's" & dot your "i's" too!.  ::)  Canada customs, love to hate them!  >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Canada rejecting mail without complete address
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 02:30 PM »
Doesn't help in some respects that PSAC is on rotating strikes either.  Although I've had four large packages come in without customs fees, so it's not all bad.   :D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 02:33 PM »
Great when parcels arrives without customs charges.  ;)   ;D

So far there letting things through but who knows what will happen down the road!  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:14 PM »
Well, Christmas season has been good for the last two years.  From about mid-November to last week in December they were pretty lenient.  Then they got pretty nasty in January, so that is probably instructive right there. 

Offline General Grievous

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 03:32 PM »
damn Canadians!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:59 PM »
Along the same lines but a different story....

Canada Post struggles to clear parcel backlog
People growing angry as international parcels delayed up to six weeks
Lora GrindlayThe Province
Tuesday, October 19, 2004

CREDIT: Jason Payne, The ProvinceJim Bain, a communications manager for the postal service, stands with some of the 150,000 packages waiting for clearance.

If you are waiting for Canada Post to deliver international parcels, be patient -- if you have any patience left.

Canadians expecting international parcels are waiting up to six weeks for delivery because of a major backlog at the Canada Border Services Agency in Vancouver.

Canada Post's Bob Taylor said more than 150,000 parcels are stockpiled at the Vancouver mail-processing plant on Georgia Street waiting to be inspected and cleared by customs. The parcels would fill 45 tractor-trailers and are taking up 100,000 square feet of space.

They fill more than 1,700 large metal baskets, or monotainers, that hold between 30 and 50 parcels each.

Taylor said Canada Post is getting 160 phone calls a day from increasingly frustrated people.

"We want to get the word out that it's customs that need to add more staff so we can get this backlog cleared up," he said. "The other thing is . . . people are starting to think about Christmas."

The backlog is due to a 30-per-cent increase in incoming international parcels at the Vancouver plant. The mail began stacking up in the spring when the U.S. Postal Service stopped shipping mail to Calgary and Winnipeg.

The Vancouver mail plant is the only international intake centre for Western Canada. Toronto and Montreal also handle international parcels and are experiencing higher volumes. They may soon be backlogged, too, said Taylor.

Faith St. John of the Canada Border Services Agency said they hope to have the backlog cleared by Christmas. "That's our big goal," she said.

"CBSA appreciates it's important for people to receive their mail. But it's also important to remember that CBSA's mandate is to ensure dangerous goods such as drugs and weapons don't enter Canada through the mail."

Customs officials have the legal authority to examine any piece of mail that weighs over 30 grams either by X-raying or opening it.

"We are looking at the process of how the mail goes through the customs mail centre, and we're working with Canada Post to see if we can improve the process for the flow of mail," St. John said.

"We've brought in additional staff. We had 10 new people come in last week and nine new people this week. We've transferred them from other areas to work on the backlog."

Taylor said outgoing mail isn't being impeded, but friends or families overseas should try to mail their packages earlier so they are cleared by customs and delivered by Christmas.

"We have been told the customs department have said it's got to get cleaned up, and they are giving them three weeks or so to do that. Let's hope it happens," said Taylor.

"If you have a grandmother in Scotland that is going to send you a cake, ask her to send it a little earlier this year."

Sorry, no link, just copied from another site.  Patience we must have.  Not keen on that backlog though and it's not entirely representative.  Some stuff shows quickly, some not so quickly with no real explanation for the difference. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 04:03 PM »
They just better hustle up with your Bust-Ups package, so I can complete my set already!   :-X

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 04:37 PM »
It's going to Jim, so he can open them and lessen your wait.  I'll achieve the novelty of opening them with my case from series 2.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 04:42 PM »
I guess this means no more letters to Santa  :'(.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Vote for Chewbacca the Wookiee

• Youngling
  • If you haven't seen me before, I'm new to you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 11:43 PM »
Blame Canada!:D
"The truths we cling to depend greatly on our pwn point of view." - Ben Kenobi
Appearing for the first time anywhere outside of Rebelscum, Chewbacca the...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 12:51 PM »
Well if there stockpiled in Vancouver, my parcel from HLJ which took 14 days to get here went through without a hitch. Though nailed with customs as its labeled merchandise, I'm still happy it got here that fast as it usually take 3 weeks.  :)