Author Topic: Holy cow! We're getting TWO new Jedi Lukes!!!  (Read 3544 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Holy cow! We're getting TWO new Jedi Lukes!!!
« on: February 27, 2003, 01:52 PM »
The kids version with action feature:

The collectors/adults highly articulated & detailed version:

Check out the main page for the full story!  Two new versions of Jedi Luke are on the way - one with an action feature aimed at the younger kids, followed later by an uber-articulated and detailed version aimed at the adult collectors!  All I've got to say is Hasbro has FINALLY heard our voices and essentially admitted that they realize that we don't like the action features and want something different.  Now we're finally getting what we want!  I've always said that I wouldn't mind the dreaded action features, if Hasbro would just release an alternate version without them, nicely articulated and detailed.  I'm a happy man today.  Hopefully this trend becomes a mainstay!

So what do you guys think of the new pictures, as well as Hasbro's new strategy of releasing two different figures of the same character - aimed at two different markets: kids and adults/collectors?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 01:59 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re:Holy cow! We're getting TWO new Jedi Lukes!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 02:03 PM »

Do you think with the above smilies, I am Happy.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Holy cow! We're getting TWO new Jedi Lukes!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 02:20 PM »
In my haste and excitement, I failed to really notice the following line from Hasbro's news report:
While kids love the cool action features, the wave of figures including Luke, Darth Vader and the Snowtrooper will be the last wave for 2003 with action features.
Wow!  I wonder if that really just means the last action features for this year, or the last of the action features FOREVER?  Or at least the last action features until Episode 3 hits.?  I would guess it's the latter - the last action features until Episode 3 comes out and the kids are lured back in.

Perhaps we've finally entered the era of POTJ2!  :D  If so,  that would mean that we've got almost TWO years where the line will once again be solely dedicated to the adult/collector fanbase!!  Oh, the possibilities...  ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 02:47 PM by JediMAC »

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 02:39 PM »
finally a new Jedi Luke, but i thought his lightsaber was green, oh well. these two figs will still look great in my collection.

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 04:48 PM »
Doin' the happy dance, doin' the happy dance, woohoo!  ;D

I'm stoked about both figures. 03' Luke should be a great companion to the new Vader, and if we end up getting that rumored Death Star II playset, its going to be a dream come true. Knowing there is another coming makes the hurt of the action feature much, much easier to take. The plans for '04 Luke look even better.

I'm even more happy and excited that Hasbro has so bluntly and finally acknowledged that the action features are a huge issue with collectors, and look to be making a much bigger effort at draw a line between Collection 1 and Collection 2. I interpret from that post that the Clone Wars line is the first stage of what Collection 1 is more openly going to be known as the "Junior Line", made for kids, openly and plainly. They mention that Collection 2 will continue as the "Saga" line, so it sounds like in '04 we get our POTJ mode of thought back in full action with the addition of what worked in '02-03 -- accessories and articulation. Sounds like a great plan to me!

What I don't quite believe is that they will do away with action features from the Junior line. My take was that they were saying, "Don't worry, the figures you collectors want aren't going to be hosed up after the ROTj Luke wave, so please be patient with us." I bet that there will be action features continuing or reappearing once they restablish the two lines, which is fine by me, now that there is comfort in knowing good things are to come.

This goes a long way towards making ammends for the sacrificed figures this year, just knowing that they understand the importance of collectors, and took the extra effort with this announcment to make sure we heard loud and clear that they value our business. Smartest move I've ever seen from them. Thumbs up.

What a great SW day!

-J

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 06:24 PM »
Wow, I like both of them so far... I'll definately buy the "big boy" Luke (if I ever see it).  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2003, 09:52 AM »
I'm really stoked about this news!  I cannot wait for '04 as it won't be here soon enough.  The '03 Luke looks OK, and for the most part all of the Collection 1 figures this year have been pretty swell.  The face looks bad, a pet peeve of mine is expressions put onto figures faces.  Sweet news!

Offline RJP

• Youngling
  • Hi! I'm Tammy from CA
    • View Profile
    • RJP'S PAGE
« Reply #7 on: March 5, 2003, 06:56 PM »
Cool!! Luke is my favorite. When will the unleashed be out?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: March 5, 2003, 07:11 PM »
Cool!! Luke is my favorite. When will the unleashed be out?
All Hasbro has said regarding the release date of this wave is "New Unleashed figures are coming this summer!"

We still have another wave with the Slave Leia due out first.  Can't recall of the top of my noggin' if there was a second wave after that, and before the Jedi Luke wave though...

Offline jor_supersid

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 5, 2003, 08:30 PM »
i don't like the new luke it looks even worse in person when i went to hasbro

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: March 5, 2003, 08:52 PM »

Are you saying that you were actually in the Hasbro building and saw this figure first hand?  How/why exactly did you get in there?  See anything else?  Do you know someone who works there?  Feel free to elaborate on your visit please...   :)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: March 5, 2003, 09:41 PM »

Are you saying that you were actually in the Hasbro building and saw this figure first hand?  How/why exactly did you get in there?  See anything else?  Do you know someone who works there?  Feel free to elaborate on your visit please...   :)

Yeah, I would really love to hear more... please do tell.
dustrho

Offline Guttersnipe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Tramampoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 6, 2003, 06:53 AM »
I think they both look great.

The best pack in the second Luke could come with is....... another Luke!
Hologram of course ;D
If we got a robed Luke holo aswell, it would be tooooo cooool.

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 6, 2003, 07:37 AM »
Actually, I'm happy with both figures, so far.  Of course, Hasbro didn't give us an angle where we see the button (or whatever) that activates the action feature.  I love the 2004 version and agree that a holo Luke accessory would be awesome.

Offline boba-brett

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 6, 2003, 08:40 AM »
I like the idea of these figs but if they can't pull off the correct sculpt then its just another jedi luke rehash.