Author Topic: Return Kilbourne to Daily Show  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Vote for Chewbacca the Wookiee

• Youngling
  • If you haven't seen me before, I'm new to you.
    • View Profile
Return Kilbourne to Daily Show
« on: November 2, 2004, 03:03 AM »
He was much better on Comedy Central than he could be under network constraints. Jon Stewart did an okay job in his first  two or three years, but never quite reached the level of the original host. In addition, Stewart's foray into politics is annoying. I tuned into the Daily Show to watch the tart of the month in a pop-top talking about kissing a girl on-set. If I want to get Ted Kennedy's opinion on the election, I'll turn to a credible news source.
"The truths we cling to depend greatly on our pwn point of view." - Ben Kenobi
Appearing for the first time anywhere outside of Rebelscum, Chewbacca the...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Return Kilbourne to Daily Show
« Reply #1 on: November 2, 2004, 03:51 AM »
Being that it's fake news, it's inevitable that the show's going to dump on anyone in the public eye, liberal or conservative, so while I can clearly see Stewart's leanings towards liberal the show itself clearly makes fun of everyone...

I watch it every night, and they really don't pick sides IMO...  Of course Bush is going to take a little more flak at the moment, just as Kerry would if he were president.  The show has always been that way in my view.

As far as Stewart Vs. Kilbourne, I think it's a matter of opinion, but the show's never had the success it has now under Kilbourne so I'm hesitant to say Stewart isn't legitimately a better host.  Kilbourne was good though, so that's a tough call at best.

The ratings for the show are at all-time highs though I guess, it's winning awards left and right, it's considered one of the better shows on TV right now I guess...  I can't really complain.  I like it as it is...  I was sort of fearful with the last loss of reporters like Steve Correll, but the new people are filling in great or even better... 

It's one of the few shows I watch every night I'm home, so I'm pretty happy as it is, and hope Stewart's on the show for the long-haul.  To me it's a situation of not messing with perfection...  Only tweak I'd make is to have Lewis Black's reports on a little more frequently since he's one of my top 3 comics, but I could see where too much "Back In Black" could clog the show up some.  Only so much time...

Overall though, I love The Daily Show just fine as it is myself.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2004, 10:23 AM »
No thanks.

Stewart rules - Kilbourne sucks.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: November 2, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Stewart on this. He really made the show much smarter than it originally was.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 2, 2004, 03:15 PM »
I've been a Kilborn fan since his ESPN days and personally think he should go back to SportsCenter.  He was great on The Daily Show, but John Stewart has really put his stamp on the show.  I don't see him leaving any time soon.

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 2, 2004, 03:45 PM »
Put me on the Stewart side.  I have watched Kilborne from ESPN to CC to CBS, and he has always been to full of himself..which only adds to his high degree of suck factor. 

I do agree though that he would be an asset to ESPN should he return there.

Oh, and another thing I couldnt stand were the suck-up audiences he catered to on the "Late Late Show".  You don't give a standing ovation to every damn person that walks out on a stage.. you give them to people that DESERVE IT!
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

SilverZ

« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2004, 07:30 PM »
I thought the Daily Show would suffer when Kilborne left. I watched one show with Stewart, and all was well. I'll take Stewart over Kilborne any day, even though I CAN NOT STAND the slant of the comedy during the political season with Stewart at the desk.

Kilborne is a smarmy ass now, really, in my amazingly awesome opinion.  He's on track for a career ala Shadow Stevens, Rick Dees, Pauly Shore, and every other has-been-if-ever-was jackass that scrapes a living off gameshow appearances these days.

Suck it, Kilborne!