Author Topic: My Dog Started Doing Something Weird Last Night...  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: My Dog Started Doing Something Weird Last Night...
« Reply #15 on: November 4, 2004, 02:05 PM »
Not me - but it's always possible that the puppy did.

Whenever that happens we clean it up real quick though - concrete floors rule when raising a puppy.

Of course, the bigger one's never been terrified by puddles of urine before...
« Last Edit: November 4, 2004, 02:05 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 4, 2004, 02:06 PM »
First of all, sorry to hear your dog is "scared".  My wife and I are big dog people, and I don't know what we'd do without ours.  Plus, you always feel bad for them when you don't understand why they are scared, or whatever.  They can't talk to you to tell you what's up.

As for the behavior...first off, nice diagram, that really does help to understand....I'd go with Jeff's theory on "something new".  Another thing that popped into my head is that possibly one time she came running into the room and slipped/wiped out there and got hurt a little bit.  Sometimes dogs can be spooked for awhile after doing something like that.  Then again, I'm sure you would have witnessed that, as I doubt your dog is running in there when you guys aren't in there.  Anyways, I hope you get it figured out, and she gets more comfortable again.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 4, 2004, 05:13 PM »
Another thing that popped into my head is that possibly one time she came running into the room and slipped/wiped out there and got hurt a little bit.  Sometimes dogs can be spooked for awhile after doing something like that.  Then again, I'm sure you would have witnessed that, as I doubt your dog is running in there when you guys aren't in there.  Anyways, I hope you get it figured out, and she gets more comfortable again.

We leave the door open in the day now so it's very possible that she hurt herself (not badly enough to linger).  Now that you mention it, the other day though she tried to jump onto the bed around that spot far from where the carpet starts and did kinda biff.  I mentioned that last night but the girlfriend dismissed it as probably nonsense.  That just might be it.

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #18 on: November 4, 2004, 10:58 PM »
You should have known better than to summon the spirit of Virex.  ;)
Seriously, though, not just places can be haunted- sometimes it's also objects- any new "antiques" in the home?
You are starting to damage my calm.

SilverZ

« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2004, 12:31 AM »
The building is only like 4 years old - so I doubt there's anything spooky going on...

Then they've obviously built the place on a Indian burial ground then. And ghosts love to watch TV.

Seriously, I'd think mosnab is right and she is freaked about biffing it again there. But also, could the puppy have wet the rug or something, and the big one knows that's a no-no, and is avoiding the rug?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2004, 12:40 AM »
Maybe your dog is just screwing with you, getting you to think something is wrong with it so you can pay more attention to her or go nuts yourself over it. :)

Really though, is it possible there are pipes or wiring under that area she refuses to by? Perhaps something there is making a sound that she can hear but you may not necessarily be able to.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #21 on: November 5, 2004, 09:59 AM »
Try removing the rug and see what the puppy does.

I really enjoyed that illustration. Are you the one who did the 'How Smart I Am Today' chart, as well? I've got that one saved on my hard drive.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 5, 2004, 10:56 AM »
Try removing the rug and see what the puppy does.

I really enjoyed that illustration. Are you the one who did the 'How Smart I Am Today' chart, as well? I've got that one saved on my hard drive.

That doesn't ring any bells...  Any chance you could post it or email it to me so I can check it out?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 5, 2004, 10:59 AM »
The building is only like 4 years old - so I doubt there's anything spooky going on...

Seriously, I'd think mosnab is right and she is freaked about biffing it again there. But also, could the puppy have wet the rug or something, and the big one knows that's a no-no, and is avoiding the rug?

The dog did sprinkle a little bit on the rug the other morning when we'd just woken up and were getting dressed to take him out.  But he's had accidents all over the house and she hasn't been scared to go anywhere... Maybe this one's lingering a little bit since it was in the rug.

I think theory number one though is the slipping by trying to jump before the rug, because I'm pretty sure I saw her do that recently and there's no telling how often it happens when we're at work.

Last night she went through the danger zone when I got home and they were both jumping up and down excited to see me.

Then later that night she wouldn't again.