Author Topic: Greatest Album of All Time?  (Read 9942 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest Album of All Time?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 09:30 PM »

Though, I have to admit, AC/DC Back in Black would be a close second.
Beth

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 09:57 PM »
While I personally agree that CorranHorn has made a good decision for a great album, (as are all the previous albums stated above my response thus far) a couple of corrections need to be stated about some information in regards to Led Zeppelin's fourth album effort.  First, Led Zeppelin's untitled fourth album never did reach the number one spot on the charts in the United States and only went as high as number two.  The album was unable to knock off Carole King's "Tapestry" release from the top spot in the United States.  The album did reach number in other parts of the world including the U. K. though. 8>)

Led Zeppelin were ruling the music business long before this album, with their January 1969 self titled debut album reaching the top ten closely followed the same year by the October 1969 release of Led Zeppelin II.  Led Zeppelin's second effort even dislodged the Beatles' "Abbey Road" album from the top spot on the charts.

Not every song on this album was released in the United States as a single as only two singles were released from the album in the United States.  Those two songs being Black Dog backed with Misty Mountain Hop as a B side and Rock and Roll backed with Four Sticks as a B side.  Stairway To Heaven has never been released as a single in the United States.  It has however appeared on an Atlantic promo in 1972 as well as in Australia as part of an EP album.  In addition not one song from this album ever hit number one in the United States.  In addition, while the fourth album was at one time the biggest selling album in the United States, it has been surpassed by several albums in overall units sold according to the RIAA.  One thing to remember though is the RIAA only conducts audits of a catalogue when hired to do so, so the numbers on their website are from the most recent audit done on that artist's catalogue, which in most cases is outdated statistically.

It's a great album to listen to regardless.  For recommended reading in regards to the mysterious runes (symbols) that each member of the band utilized to represent themselves I highly suggest to check out (fellow Star Wars collector and Led Zeppelin expert) Robert Godwin's book titled "The Making of..(four symbols).  In addition, a highly researched book called "Symbology and Led Zeppelin" is a very detailed read about the meaning's of each symbol.  This book is written by Duncan Watson.  While Duncan's book is not about Led Zeppelin per se it does explore the meaning of each symbol as well as the influence traditional blues had on Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin's another hobby.  ;D

Robert
Behindthetoys.com
Lead Editor
BLACK S. U. N.

Sems,

Thanks for the historical background, I believe though you may have misunderstood a couple of the things I said. More likely due to how I worded it.

What I meant in terms of each song being a single was being released on the radio, not as a single in terms of a record release like on a 45. I also meant that surely these singles would have been a #1 hit, not the album, though I am surprised by it never having reached the #1 slot in the US.

Cheers!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 10:14 PM »

The Beatles - White Album
My favorite Beatles album, easily. It's got a number of great tracks... my favorites are: Helter Skelter, Why Don't We Do It In The Road?, Rocky Raccoon, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Glass Onion, Dear Prudence, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Blackbird, and Julia. Just tons of great songs. Pretty nice album cover, too.

Zed Zeppelin - IV
Besides the obvious favorites Stairway to Heaven and Rock And Roll, it's also got Going to California, When The Levy Breaks, Blackdog, and Battle Of Evermore. Great album.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
I had a hard time putting this below Led Zeppelin IV, because this is probably the only album I can listen to through and through without skipping a single track. No matter what mood I'm in. Any album that can play in-tune with Wizard Of Oz belongs on this list, anyway.

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
This is my runner-up, and I know nobody will agree here... but I think Electric Ladyland as a whole is one of the better albums ever made... Crazy, I know. The notable tracks: Crosstown Traffic, Voodoo Chile, Burning Of The Midnight Lamp, 1983, House Burning Down, All Along The Watchtower, and Voodoo Chile (Slight Return).

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 10:25 PM »
 >:(

You didn't follow the rules, Brad!!

;D

:P

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 11:16 PM »
Favourite Beatles album is probably "Rubber Soul".
Also really love Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" (yes, a chick album) and Split Enz's "Time and Tide".
I guess I'd have to go w/ "Rumours"...
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 01:18 AM »
You didn't follow the rules, Brad!!

Bah!

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2004, 04:03 AM »
Metallica Ride the Lightning now pass the peanuts ;D

Honourable Mentions

TOOL "ÆNIMA"

TEN Pearl Jam
Badmotorfinger Soundgarden
London Calling The Clash
standing on a beach The Cure
Break The Cycle Staind
Linkin Park Hybrid Theory
Slayer Seasons
Black Label Society (anything)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 04:32 AM by stormtripper »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2004, 12:40 PM »
Oh boy, this is always such a hard choice for me, but I suppose if I had to absolutely only choose one album as being the best of all time, it would be this one:

1. Special
2. Turning Me On
3. Slide Along Side
4. Lolita
5. You're Beautiful
6. Magical
7. A Better Place
8. Halo Interlude
9. Shorty Rock
10. When We Were Young
11. Take Away The Pain
12. All Along

This is just such a complete album in every musical sense of the word, that I struggle to think of another CD that dares even touch the plastic wrap it was sealed in. I mean, this man created the force that was Crazytown, remember them!!??

Are you serious?

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2004, 01:02 PM »
Nice choice Matt and I agree that its better than Joshua Tree...excited to hear the new one too (although I can't stand the new iPod commercial already)

Yeah Scott, I'm really looking forward to the new album too :)

Crazytown....they did that Butterly song about 3-4 years ago, right? Or am I getting them confused with someone else??  ???
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Linkin Park Hybrid Theory

You sir, rock. :-*

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 02:02 PM »
Linkin Park soooooooooooo eats my balls.

How can anyone confuse Crazytown with anyone else?  That's...that's like confusing Justin Timberlake with the lead singer from N'SYNC.

Poetic lyrics ("Such a sexy, sexy, pretty little thing;
Fierce nipple pierce; You got me sprung with your tongue ring") over a cribbed and looped Red Hot Chili Peppers instrumental (don't believe me?  download "Pretty Little Ditty" from RHCP's "Mother's Milk" album)?

Gosh damn brilliant.

I'm going with Shifty, too, although a close second would be this one:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 02:10 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2004, 02:50 PM »

Are you serious?

As a heart attack sir, once Mr. Shellshock realized he would never reach the true pinnacle of his career by being weighed down with the rest of Crazytown and branched out on his solo career, I knew i had experienced musical nirvana. I've smelled (smelt?) Teen Spirit, and it smells like Slide Along Side.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2004, 03:25 PM »
Linkin Park soooooooooooo eats my balls.

You sir, do not rock. >:(

To each his own.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 05:10 PM »
The Beatles, Abbey Road

Pure greatness from begining to end.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

SilverZ

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2004, 06:25 PM »

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
I had a hard time putting this below Led Zeppelin IV, because this is probably the only album I can listen to through and through without skipping a single track. No matter what mood I'm in. Any album that can play in-tune with Wizard Of Oz belongs on this list, anyway.

Gotta agree with this one. I actually bought an SACD player so I could listen to the 6-channel discrete surround version of this. Epic and timeless.  8)