Author Topic: Any MSTies here?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Any MSTies here?
« on: November 19, 2004, 12:56 AM »
Anyone else love that kooky sci-fi jokefest otherwise known as Mystery Science Theater 3000 (or MST3K for short)? I fell in love with the show in the early 90's (late 80's maybe??) and watched it religiously when it was on Comedy Central, and then Sci-Fi Channel. I've picked up every DVD that Rhino has made available, and even picked up some "unofficial" episodes on DVD. Recently, and I don't know why, I've been going through a boom in my MST3K watching, like it's new all over again. I made a list of the episodes that I have here, which is also a pretty complete (as far as I know) episode list. If anyone is into trading, let me know.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Any MSTies here?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 01:43 AM »
hey dave,

oh yeah huge MST3K fan here. i first saw the show in 1992 after I first got cable and just fell in love with the show. was saddened when joel left, but things still were ok, until the disatrous move to sci-fi channel. pretty much all the great minds of the show were gone like frank conniff and trace beaulieu and they got saddled with movies that could in no way be classified as sci-fi (ironic eh?). i thought i would have been more saddened by their final demise, but by the time it happened i was ok with it.

i too have been getting into the kick of watching mst3k lately, ive got a good chunk of early stuff, i'll take a look at your list and give you a shout.

Turn The Lights Out!

Oh yeah wanted to add, my favorite MST3K episode: Ep 212 Godzilla vs Megalon

Go Jet Jaguar Go! :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 01:47 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 01:49 AM »
I used to love MST, but I haven't watched it in ages. 

Before I was 21 and found the joy of going out and drinking, my 2 best friends and I would pretty routinely rent bad films at the 24 hour video place, and we'd basically make fun of them ourselves.  Easily a great night with friends...  One buddy's sister would invite her friends over, and his girlfriend would bring friends...  Made our own MST events kinda. 

Good times.

Do they make new MST's now, or just putting the old ones on DVD?  I see commercials for them, but don't see the show itself anywhere on TV.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 02:00 AM »
JJ,

I think everyone has done their own MST to a bad movie now and then, one time a friend and I did it to The Phantom Menace, in a theater. Suffice to say we did not get much love from the audience :)

there are no new MST3K episodes being made, there havent for i believe 4 years now. I thought I recall hearing a rumor that Sci-Fi wanted to do a couple of special "movie" episodes but nothing came of it. Rhino owns the DVD license for MST3K however they're limited on what episodes they can release. That's because many of the movie studios which produced the bad flicks that were shown on MST3K, would not allow them to re-broadcast them. In some cases like the Godzilla movies, MST3K made them even more popular so the studios just would promote them on their own. Sad really, cause if MST3K's first 5 seasons were on TV again on a regular basis, I'd be in 7th heaven.

Keep Circulating The Tapes!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 02:00 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 09:51 AM »
I haven't seen the show in ages either, and I don't even know if there are new ones or just reruns.  I used to watch it awhile back though.  I remember my dad and I accidentally stumbling upon it.  I grew up on a farm, and worked with my dad from age 11 on basically.  We would come in for "lunch", and turn on the TV (around the time we first got a satellite dish, when you still got the great big ones that had motors to turn them and all of that), we came across this show and thought it was hilarious.  We watched it about every day at that time from then on.  I caught it some more in college, but not nearly as much, and like I said haven't seen it in quite some time now.  I did always enjoy it though, funny stuff.

Offline C

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 04:23 PM »
word. joel is one of the most brilliant folks ever. i wish he was more prolific these days.