Author Topic: 2005, After the Cantina Wave, ROTS Only?  (Read 5694 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
2005, After the Cantina Wave, ROTS Only?
« on: November 19, 2004, 02:57 PM »
I can't remember if we have heard for sure whether or not it would be all Revenge of the Sith figures/product for 2005 (after the initial waves that we've already seen), but while looking at the ROTS packaging, I was wondering if all we would see is ROTS product.

I fully expect the majority of product to be ROTS related, since it is a movie year, but in the past the situation/set up has been a little bit different.  With Episode I, there were two lines (sort of) going at once, with the Red Carded Episode I line, alongside the POTF2 line (commtech figures mainly).  Then they were later consolidated into POTJ.  Then, with AOTC, the initial figures were on the all encompassing Blue Saga cards, so figures from all the movies were able to be released on these cards (and were, in some form, until early this year).  Now, with this ROTS packaging, it just seems a little more movie specific than we're used to, and I wasn't sure if we would see figures from the other movies on these types of cards.  However, I also thought I remembered seeing/reading something at one point that Hasbro didn't want to go back to any "2 collection or 2 cardback" type of scenarios.  Maybe I just dreamed that up, but if that was true, what do you think is the fate of non-ROTS merchandise in 2005, or at least the majority of the year.  Will we see figs from any other movies, or will there be another card change that quickly (or maybe later in the year).  Any opinions?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2005, After the Cantina Wave, ROTS Only?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 03:14 PM »
I think we've seen all that we're going to see pre-EpIII

However, we've heard whisperings that the OT will not be dead in 2005, in fact there will be product in the summer ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 03:31 PM »
I thought we might see some figures interspersed in the line, but I'll be curious to see how they are packaged....if they will use the "new style" ROTS card/package or not.  Hopefully we'll get some nice OT figures mixed in like you said Scott.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 05:26 PM »
According to the French Web-Site list

Unknown Figures
???? Action Figures - Wave 2 - July
- Clone Trooper
- Mace Windu
- Chewbacca

Action Figures - Wave 3 - July
- Luke Skywalker
- Han Solo
- Darth Vader

Action figures - Wave 4 - August
- Yoda
- Emperor

These are planned for next summer, if they are 3-3/4" figures or 12" or something else, its hard to tell

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 05:43 PM »
That list gets pretty vague there. I wonder, could they possibly be considering bringing OT back into the line so early?

And if they are, is a package design happening as well? I can't see a Han Solo figure in front of firey lava. Perhaps we'll see revised OTC-style packaging for Collection 2 starting in the summer that retains the new package materials design but with a silver and black graphic style, similar to the new die-cast packs.

Oh, to dream.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 05:45 PM »
Meh, why have all resculpts?

Oh, yeah, because kids are the ones buying them ::)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 09:29 PM »
According to the French Web-Site list

Unknown Figures
???? Action Figures - Wave 2 - July
- Clone Trooper
- Mace Windu
- Chewbacca

Action Figures - Wave 3 - July
- Luke Skywalker
- Han Solo
- Darth Vader

Action figures - Wave 4 - August
- Yoda
- Emperor

These are planned for next summer, if they are 3-3/4" figures or 12" or something else, its hard to tell

Wasn't there word a couple months back that hasbro was yet again going to try their hand at a 3rd scale in the 6 inch range? Perhaps that is what these OT figures in the summer are all about.

If they are going to be releasing OT figures outside of the Cantina wave in 2005, they'd be better off putting them on another card outside of the ROTS card to better differentiate them. I think that was a problem with Saga during AOTC as it caused confusion at retail with stores not always sure with what they were ordering. I'm all for a uniform line, but in non-movie years only.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 10:54 PM »
Meh, why have all resculpts?

Oh, yeah, because kids are the ones buying them ::)

Yup, I'm thinking the same Han (commtech) again, in yet another package :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 08:36 AM »
And if they are, is a package design happening as well? I can't see a Han Solo figure in front of firey lava. Perhaps we'll see revised OTC-style packaging for Collection 2 starting in the summer that retains the new package materials design but with a silver and black graphic style, similar to the new die-cast packs.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was curious about as well.  If we're going to have figures like Luke and Han (or anyone else from the other 5 films, particularly the OT), it is going to be a little strange seeing them with the lava background, at least to me.  Will we see a packaging change, is this a misprint, or as some have suggested, a different line altogether?  Hard to say, things are a little vague right now.  I really hope that Brent isn't on the right track, and its not another Commtech Han in a new package.  That would take an already low low to another all time low :).  If they are going to stick a Han in there, please let it be a new, nicely done Endor version or something :).

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 11:16 AM »
So is this the order of 2005?  I have only listed figs we have seen pics of.  Did not include any posted lists.

Post OTC 2005

1. Rabe
  2. Sly Moore
  3. Pablo Jill
  4. Amidala Celebration
  5. Yarua
  6. Myo
  7. Dannik Jerriko
  8. Feltipern Trevagg
  9. Sandtrooper
10. Luke Dagobah
11. Yoda Dagobah
12. Stormtrooper
13. Scout Trooper
14. Han Solo
15. Chewbacca
16. Darth Vader

Clone Wars Animated

1.  Anakin Skywalker "new"
  2.  Arc Trooper Red
  3.  General Grievous
  4.  Clone Trooper Red
  5.  Clone Trooper Yellow
  6.  Clone Trooper Blue

ROTS Preview

1.  General Grevious
  2.  Tion Medden
  3.  R4-G1
  4.  Wookiee Warrior

ROTS Basic

1.  Obi-Wan Kenobi
  2.  Anakin Skywalker
  3.  Yoda
  4.  Super Battle Droid
  5.  Chewbacca
  6.  Clone Trooper
  7.  R2-D2
  8.  Grevious' Bodyguard
  9.  General Grevious
10.  Mace Windu
11.  Darth Vader
12.  Emperor Palpatine

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 11:34 AM »
I am going to miss the OTC line, and with the apparent phasing out of the OT figures, I'll probably be least interested in figures in this upcoming year than I have in a while. I don't see myself buying so many figures after the Cantina boys are gone, at all, really. We'll have to see.

One thing is for sure though, I'll miss the OTC figures very much, as I really enjoyed seeing about half of the figures on pegs be from the OT and the other half from the PTs. The balance was nice, despite its (too) many rehashes.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 01:05 PM »
I am going to miss the OTC line, and with the apparent phasing out of the OT figures, I'll probably be least interested in figures in this upcoming year than I have in a while. I don't see myself buying so many figures after the Cantina boys are gone, at all, really. We'll have to see.

One thing is for sure though, I'll miss the OTC figures very much, as I really enjoyed seeing about half of the figures on pegs be from the OT and the other half from the PTs. The balance was nice, despite its (too) many rehashes.

I bet we see the OTC style after ROTS.  It was a pretty profitable line despite the rehashes.  I wouldnt doubt we see more VOTC as well.  A VOTC POTF line would be sweet. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 03:05 PM »
Hmmm...

Personally, I think it would be cool if Hasbro would offer up some OT stuff during the RotS retail run, like say, an exclusive vehicle or two for the OT.  That'd be cool.  Maybe a Cloud Car and a Rebel Transport perhaps? 

Those are two vintage vehicles we haven't seen remade yet.  Maybe pack-in figure like a CC Pilot figure and a Rebel Fleet Trooper for the Transport?  Offer one of them for back-to-school (fall) and another for the Holidays (winter)?

It would also be cool if Hasbro could work some new OT figures into the 2005 line-up.  Maybe they could use the RotS card shape and bubble, but updating the deco slightly for each of the other movies?  In place of the lava, they could go with a white saber splash for ANH, a red saber splash for ESB, a green saber splash for RotJ, a purple saber splash for Ep1, and a blue saber spash for Ep2?

:)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 11:58 PM »
Hmmm...

Personally, I think it would be cool if Hasbro would offer up some OT stuff during the RotS retail run, like say, an exclusive vehicle or two for the OT.  That'd be cool.  Maybe a Cloud Car and a Rebel Transport perhaps? 

Those are two vintage vehicles we haven't seen remade yet.  Maybe pack-in figure like a CC Pilot figure and a Rebel Fleet Trooper for the Transport?  Offer one of them for back-to-school (fall) and another for the Holidays (winter)?

It would also be cool if Hasbro could work some new OT figures into the 2005 line-up.  Maybe they could use the RotS card shape and bubble, but updating the deco slightly for each of the other movies?  In place of the lava, they could go with a white saber splash for ANH, a red saber splash for ESB, a green saber splash for RotJ, a purple saber splash for Ep1, and a blue saber spash for Ep2?

:)

Jeff

That sort of stuff would be cool, I doubt it would happen though

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 09:31 AM »
That sort of stuff would be cool, I doubt it would happen though

Eh, just some "crazy" thoughts I had on the subject... wouldn't it be funny if it were true?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender