Author Topic: NBA 2004/05  (Read 47778 times)

Offline Aaron_D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Playoffs
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2005, 03:33 AM »
Go Nuggets!

The Nuggets pulled off a nice upset in the first game against SA, only to get slapped around hard in game 2.

That first game was great, and I'll admit surprising too, even to the Denver faithful.  Of course the Spurs got some serious payback in game 2, but I'll take a split in SA anytime!  For whatever reason though, the playoffs just seem to be lacking the usual pizazz this year.  Maybe it's just due to the lack of usual starpower though, like you mentioned mosnab.

My prediction is that it's going to come down to Suns/Spurs and Pistons/Heat, with the Spurs and Pistons going to the finals, and the Spurs taking it all.  But when I go to sleep in a few minutes, the Nuggets will be winning it all, in my dreams.  ;)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NBA 2004/05
« Reply #196 on: May 6, 2005, 03:00 PM »
I have a totaly apathy for the NBA this playoff season.

No Wolves to cheer for, no LAkers to cheer against... boring.   :'(

Seems pretty quiet in here, so I must not be the only one.  No playoff smack-talking without the Woofies and the Kobes?  :-\

How 'bout those Celtics Brent?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 6, 2005, 03:09 PM »
I was watching the game last night at the gym and it damn near killed me. 

I agree with the frustration that Pierce must have felt, but the refs weren't in a good position to see him get slapped in the face/neck, so the call made was good in that his reaction was pretty dumb and he deserved to be called for something.  But a technical and toss him from the game??  Uh, it's Indiana that goes racing into the stands to whale on fans, not the Celtics.  An intentional foul (2 free throws and possesion) was the right call to make.  The Pacers player did a pretty damn good Gretzky (read: dive) impersonation there. 

Raef Lafrentz ::)
Paul Pierce ::) dumbass, he should know better
Antoine Walker  :-\ some pretty dumb plays by the Celtics in the OT and Walker in particular.  Picking up two fouls to foul out when Pierce is already gone?  Not real bright. 

I'd suggest the Celtics got really, really lucky last night.  If they're going to beat Indiana they'll have to bring a better game than that to Indiana.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 6, 2005, 04:22 PM »
Da Phoenix Express is heading down the road...

Chuga...chuga...choo...choo!

DBK

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #199 on: May 6, 2005, 07:03 PM »
Anyone watching the playoffs this year?

We're big basketball fans in general, so despite the fact that the Lakers sucked total ass this year, we're still watching most of the other playoff games when we have the chance.  Couple blowout series by the two favorites, and some easy 5 game series for the #2 seeds as well, but several of the other series seem to be shaping up to be quite the competitive battles, which is good for the NBA.  A couple game 7's on tap (and maybe a third), so it's gonna be an exciting weekend coming up!  Hope to see the Wizards, Mavs, and *gasp* Celtics take care of business...

I'm very much praying for a Suns championship this year, as they're really the only time I'd LIKE to see win it all.  Love their style of play, and I genuinely like all of their players.  More importantly, I just don't want to see Shaq win it, so I'm gonna be rooting sumethin' fierce against them when they play the Pistons and/or the Suns/Spurs.  Granted, I don't want to see Detroit or San Antonio win another one, but they're the lesser of two evils at this point, so I'd be willing to accept that, if I had to.

BTW, nice to see Shaq and Lakers' owner Jerry Buss going at it in the media again.  Buss nailed him with the fat and out of shape issue again (when he was on the Lakers), to which Shaq continues to be a complete moron and say it's everyone else's fault other than his.  So he weighed about 375 last year when he was still with us, but all season long with the Heat, he's been around 315/320.  Go figure.  Took us trading his fat ******* ass to piss him off enough to motivate him into getting in shape for the first time in about 4 years.  Lazy rat bastard.  Might've actually kept him around this year if he bothered to take better care of himself...  ::)

Seems pretty quiet in here, so I must not be the only one.  No playoff smack-talking without the Woofies and the Kobes?  :-\

Wolves still suck, and Kobe owns you all!  Better?  :-*
« Last Edit: May 6, 2005, 07:11 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #200 on: May 6, 2005, 07:12 PM »
Holy ****.  Breaking news off the sports wire:

Nash wins MVP!

Apparently he just barely edged out Shaq...

Sweet!   8)
« Last Edit: May 6, 2005, 07:14 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 9, 2005, 09:50 AM »
I heard the "official" news yesterday when we got back from visiting the moms, and I was quite happy to hear that.  I really didn't know if Nash actually had a chance of winning, since he isn't the "typical" MVP candidate, but I'm really happy to see it happen.  Nashty has always been one of my favorite players, no matter where he's been, just because of the way he is and the way he plays.  I don't usually like players that much that don't dunk :P, but he has enough other skills and is still lots of fun to watch.  I really hope that he can add an NBA championship to that hardware this year too.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2005, 03:44 PM »
Anyone watch the Suns game last night.  It's like watching basketball in the 80s.  It's awesome.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2005, 03:46 PM »
Yeah, I caught most of the game last night, and I really like watching them play.  I've always been a Nash fan, and the rest of their team fits with him so well.  Definitely one of my favorite teams, and I really hope they can continue on to a championship.  They sure looked proficient last night.  Like you said, just real fun to watch.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Anyone watch the Suns game last night.  It's like watching basketball in the 80s.  It's awesome.

Yep, we watched it too, and their 80's style of run and gun and screw the defense is the main reason I'd love to see them win it all this year.  Just a lot of fun to watch.

Nice romp by the Pistons over the Pacers yesterday too.  Preceded by two other Game 1 blowouts with Miami over Washington, and the Spurs over the Sonics.  Ugh.  Wouldn't mind some more competitive games here and there, at least.  But we may have to wait for the Conference Finals to see that...

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2005, 04:26 PM »
Da Phoenix Express is heading down the road...

Chuga...chuga...choo...choo!

DBK

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Seriously though, I feel rather spoiled.  To move from one great basketball city L.A. to an up and coming basketball city in Phoenix. 

I am happy for Nash and his family, he seems like a level headed and down to earth guy, a friend of mine saw him in TRU in Scottsdale the other day.

Go Suns!

DBK

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2005, 04:31 PM »
Seriously though, I feel rather spoiled.  To move from one great basketball city L.A. to an up and coming basketball city in Phoenix. 

I am happy for Nash and his family, he seems like a level headed and down to earth guy, a friend of mine saw him in TRU in Scottsdale the other day.

Go Suns!

DBK
I'm also happy for the Canadians.  I have basketball apathy right now...lousy Timberwolves ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2005, 09:28 PM »
Yeah, I've been resisting the temptation to lay any sort of nationality claims to Nash.  Apparently has been a decent guy all the way through school and in the pros.  Nice to see.  He must have tattoos though, right?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2005, 09:37 PM »
My wife was sharing with me that Nash was on a radio station today (Hip Hop and R&B) and the interviewer kept on baiting Nash to dog out the Mavericks for trading him.

Nash's response was something like, "I was just really hurt for about the first month of the season that Dallas did not want me.  It took me a while a month to get over it.  Amare and others flew out to Dallas to talk with me and I new there was a new chapter for me in my family in AZ."

Class act about sums it up.

BTW, Brent I dropped your package in the mail a few days ago, let me know when it arrived.  The post office attendant tried to advise me they might not deliver the package since I reversed a USPS Priority Mail envelope.  I took my chances, I'm frugal ;D.

DBK