Author Topic: NBA 2004/05  (Read 47769 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NBA 2004/05
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2005, 01:53 PM »
Here's to another "Who Cares?" NBA Finals!   :P

Game 1:  SA 84, Det 69 (15pt win)
Game 2:  SA 97, Det (21pt win)

Did Detroit even try last night?  They looked like they were just happy to get the hell out of SA and head home...

I said Spurs in 6, but I might have given Detroit too much credit.  At this rate, they'll be lucky not to get swept.   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2005, 01:55 PM »
Yeah, San Antonio is just handling the Pistons at this point, and I guess that is ok with me.  I don't necessarily have a favorite in these Finals, since I'm not a big fan of either team, but for some reason I'd just as soon see San Antonio win it.  Ginobili has been all but unstoppable so far, and Duncan is, well, Duncan.  I was thinking about a six game series before, but I could definitely see it being 4 or 5.  Going back to Detroit should help the Pistons, but if they play anything like this, its going to be over quick.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2005, 02:34 PM »
Phil Jackson's back as the Lakers coach.

Wow.   :o

Not real thrilled about that...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2005, 02:56 PM »
Phil Jackson's back as the Lakers coach.

Wow.   :o

Not real thrilled about that...
Now, they need to bring back the real reason they won those championships...not Phil (I coach where the game's best player plays) and The R8pist

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2005, 08:10 PM »
So the Finals have been an utter bore so far, huh?  Even though Detroit's made things exciting by pulling even in the series, all 4 games have been total blowouts and not even close to competitive (except maybe the first half of Game 1).  I have a feeling the next couple games will unfortunately play out the same way, and then we'll FINALLY get a real battle come Game 7.  Should be interesting.

So far though, each home team is making the visitor look absolutely pathetic, and far from champion caliber...  :-\

Go Lakers!

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2005, 12:33 AM »
Robert Horry is the MAN!

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2005, 12:56 AM »
He is Mr.Clutch first that dunk in OT then bombs in the big 3 to win it.  He always comes through in big game situations remember 2002 against the kings.  I still think the series will go 7 cause hopefully the rest of the series will be like game 5.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2005, 11:17 AM »
Yeah, Horry is just unbelievable.  Mr. Clutch to be sure.  He just keeps doing it, and its amazing how he always just seems to be open in those situations too.  It seems like all of his game winners have looked similar, his defender running across the court in an "oh crap" type of moment trying to get their to defend the shot, but its already away.  At least this game was actually close and entertaining, although I didn't get to see a whole lot of it.

As far as the Phil Jackson thing, I don't know.  When I was a fan of the Bulls in their glory (and pre-glory) days, I really liked him.  Probably because I was just a fan of the team overall, heck I liked Bobby Hansen and Stacy King at the time ;).  But, as I've looked at his career as a whole, I think he is over-rated as a coach.  He has always just been in the best possible scenario (Jordan/Pippen, Shaq/Kobe) for a coach, and although he usually does a nice job managing players...I think most other coaches would have had pretty good shots at the title with the lineups he had.  No offense to Matt or other Laker fans here, but I'd greatly enjoy to see him (and Kobe) struggle next year, just to show that it isn't Phil's coaching that does it.  Amazing after all his complaints about Kobe being uncoachable that he comes back...although he says its "not about the money".  Sure ;).  Well, that and your girlfriend being a member of Lakers management probably has something to do with it.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2005, 02:20 PM »
My view with Phil is Jordan/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe never won anything until he got there. 

Being a Laker fan I wanted Brian Shaw to be named the coach.  If the Lakers aren't going to play defense like they did last year, the least they could do is run and I think Shaw would make them run. 

The Phil hiring is intriguing to me.  I think Phil views Kobe as the one guy who he couldn't control, heck he even contained Rodman to an extent.  I think Kobe views this as a step to repair his image.  He went from the darling of the league to most hated player in the league.  So it works for both parties.  I just hope it makes Kobe a complete player again. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2005, 07:34 PM »
Yeah, Horry's just sick!  We were screaming for him last night almost as much as we were screaming for the Pistons to beat Shaq and the Heat a couple weeks ago.  Good stuff, and it's great to see Horry come through in the clutch once again, and further enhance his "Big Shot Bob" image.  Carrying the team on his back for the last quarter and a half (21 of last 35 points for the Spurs, I think), throwing down that monster jam, hitting the game winning 3...  Man, just awesome.  I was definitely rooting for the Spurs last night (after being indecisive about the series in general so far).  I've decided that I definitely want the Spurs to win now.  Seeing Horry tie Jordan and Pippen for the most rings in the past 30 years would be pretty sweet - on 3 different teams no less...  8)

My view with Phil is Jordan/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe never won anything until he got there.

Brian makes a good (and popular) point about Phil having the luxury of coaching the top talent(s) in the league, but Jay definitely points out the flipside of Jackson's defense, in that Phil got both of those teams over the hump.  He's definitely a good coach, but I still think he's a little overrated.  I just think he's a much better motivator, who prepares his teams for games very well (during practice and such).

My beef with him comes during the games.  He just sits there all stoic, with his arms crossed on his chest, doing virtually nothing throughout the course of the game.  He rarely ever calls timeouts at crucial junctures (to break the opposing team's momentum when they're on a run), he has horrible substitution patterns (if a Laker gets hot, he's benched within the next minute or two), and he just doesn't make necessary adjustments during the game when he should (changing defensive assignments or schemes, telling the players what to do or not to do, etc.).  Nothing.  He mostly just sits there and stares, as if he's oddly amused or perplexed by whatever's transpiring on the court at any given time.  Meanwhile, I'm sitting there screaming, "Why doesn't he just do such and such?!?!?"  Dude just often makes no sense once the game clock is moving...

It'll be very interesting to see what goes down this year.  Maybe his first chance to really prove that he's a good coach.  Sure, he's still got Kobe, one of the top 5 players in the league, but that's about it right now.  The rest of the team is complacent, lacks desire, and definitely plays ****** defense - all leading to the lack of a playoff berth for the first time in years.  So if Phil can come in and turn that around with essentially the exact same cast, then I think he may finally earn some real credit for his actual coaching skills.  We'll see...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 07:39 PM by JediMAC »

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #235 on: June 24, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Congrats to the Spurs for holding on to beat Detroit.

Congrats to Tim (I'd pick him before I drafted Kobe) Duncan on his 3rd title and his third Finals MVP.

:)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 24, 2005, 12:33 PM »
Congrats to the Spurs.

6 rings for Horry.  Damn!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 24, 2005, 01:12 PM »
Congrats to the Spurs for holding on to beat Detroit.

Congrats to Tim (I'd pick him before I drafted Kobe) Duncan on his 3rd title and his third Finals MVP.

:)

Yeah well I had Kobe in fantasy and I ended up winning.   :P  That's the nice thing about fantasy, you don't really need a team, just a bunch of stats collectors. ;)  And a lotta luck.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2005, 12:40 PM »
Yeah, congrats Spurs, I guess.  Even though Game 7 was close throughout, it never really seemed all that exciting for some reason...  Oh well.

Everyone's saying that Duncan finally redeemed himself in the series and came through big time in this game.  Yet no one's pointing out that he went 11-27 from the floor.  Yeah, if you shoot 27 times, there's a good chance that you'll wind up with at least 25 points.  Still not a great showing from him, IMO.  Parker really sucked up the place all series long too.  Averaging 3.5 assists and 3.5 turnovers (going into Game 7) is pretty crappy from your Point Guard.  Ginobli came up big - not surprising.  Bowen's D was huge, as was Horry's clutch play.  Great to see him slap that 6th ring on.  Pretty damned amazing, if you think about it.  The most rings in the past 35 years (with Jordan & Pippen).

Well, time to strap up now, and spend several months getting ready for the return of the Phil & Kobe show now...  :P