Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100158 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Major DVD Release List for Fall '03 - Mach 2
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2003, 04:41 PM »
I was looking at last years releases, sorry.

Ain't that a bitch?

Feel free to start a "Major DVD Release List for Fall '02" thread if you'd like.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2003, 04:49 PM »
Has anyone picked up the brand new Hendrix Live @ Berkeley DVD??? I was gonna grab it tonight, but wanted to make sure it was worth the $... Some of his DVDs suck, apparently.

Edit - I bought it upon release, nevermind.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 02:27 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2003, 07:46 AM »
All right, gang:  From the RUMOR MILL at The Digital Bits:

You know, it seems like we go through this about once a year. But, at the risk of inducing lots of eye rolling out there, here we go again. We've heard from a number of industry sources we trust (and who have proven their reliability in the past) in the last few weeks. They're reporting that Lucasfilm is seriously considering releasing the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD late next year. In fact, our information indicates that some work is already under way toward a 4th Qtr, 2004 release. Word is that Lucasfilm is pleased with the format of The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD Movie Collection they're releasing on 10/21 in conjunction with Paramount - so pleased, in fact, that they're planning to use the same format to release the classic Star Wars films. This would presumably mean a 4-disc set, with a disc for each film and a fourth disc of special edition materials for all three films. It would certainly make sense. First, it would be a great way to get a buzz going into early 2005, when the final film, Episode III, is set to arrive in theaters. Also, Lucasfilm has said in the past that there aren't a lot of behind-the-scenes materials available for the original films, so having a single bonus disc of extras (as opposed to three) would make life easier for them.

Interestingly, as we were working to learn more about this from our sources, we received an e-mail from a Bits reader about a DVD column on the BBC's film site (slide down the page to near the bottom). It seems that Channel.com (sort of a U.K. version of Columbia House, run by Universal) listed the original Star Wars Trilogy as coming to DVD in 2004 in their latest brochure to members.

Of course, we've certainly heard similar reports many times in the past, so we encourage you to take this information with a large dose of salt. Only time will tell if this is... FINALLY... the real deal. At the recent DVD conference in L.A., I spoke with Lucasfilm's Jim Ward, who predictably wouldn't discuss the DVD release plan for the original Star Wars films, other than to say that they WOULD be released on DVD at some point. He did, however, say that Episode III was being well documented for DVD, and he once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no longer exist - the new SEs are George's ultimate vision for these films.

Frankly, we're really looking forward to these films being released on DVD... if only so we don't have to keep reporting on them here! In any case, THIS is the extent of what we know, so please don't bombard us with a lot of questions. You know as much as we do at this point. When we learn more, we'll post it here.

Stay tuned...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

Now, I've been reading "Star Wars is secretly being prepped for a DVD release next year" reports for, oh, about the past six years or so, so I don't think this is anything to get overly excited about.

However, with Indy on the way (which should do pretty well this Christmas for a twenty-two year-old franchise), really, the only big, big release left is Star Wars.  

And, like the report mentions--Fall/Christmas '04 is when the Episode III hype-machine should be getting into full swing--how nuts would a "Star Wars Trilogy DVD set with Episode III Trailer" be?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2003, 01:25 PM »
-------------
...and he once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no longer exist - the new SEs are George's ultimate vision for these films.

Damned George.  Same ol', same ol'...   ::)

Better hit that other link for the bootleg OT DVDs folks, if you're interested in the original versions of our beloved Trilogy...   >:(

Thanks for the scoop Matt!   ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2003, 04:05 PM »
OK Ye Children of the 80's...

Want more Cartoon's on DVD

Swing by this link and enter your favorites and hopefully Rhino will decide to release them!

http://www.rhino.com/fun/contests/videoanimation2003survey.lasso

I voted for M.A.S.K. Voltron and He-Man

I loved every one of those shows at different points in my life
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 04:06 PM by OCB »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2003, 12:48 AM »
-------------
...and he once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no longer exist - the new SEs are George's ultimate vision for these films.

Better hit that other link for the bootleg OT DVDs folks, if you're interested in the original versions of our beloved Trilogy...   >:(

Other link?  What other link?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2003, 02:23 AM »
-------------------------

Better hit that other link for the bootleg OT DVDs folks, if you're interested in the original versions of our beloved Trilogy...   :(

-------------------

Other link?  What other link?

The one that says Original Star Wars available again on DVD...   ::)  Pay attention Brent!   :-*

So, has anyone ordered it from them yet?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 10:00 PM by JediMAC »

Jango Fettish

Re: Major DVD Release List for Fall '03
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2003, 09:41 AM »
Just a noite, John Carpenter's "They Live" was bumped 2 weeks, and was released this past Tuesday. It's $9.99 at Best Buy.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2003, 04:15 AM »
Posted--if only to show Scott up, primarily for the erroneous information he "reported" in the last thread:

Pearl Jam DVD Spotlights New York Show

Pearl Jam is eschewing a comprehensive DVD of its 2003 Riot Act tour in favor of spotlighting one particularly noteworthy show from the trek. The double-disc "Live at the Garden," capturing the band's July 8 performance at New York's Madison Square Garden, will arrive Nov. 11 via Epic. On the same day, the label will issue a long-in-the-works set of rarities, although no information on that collection has yet been confirmed.

The sold-out July 8 show came at the tail end of the three-month tour and found Pearl Jam unleashing a 30-song, nearly three-hour set. Highlights included a guest appearance by Ben Harper on "Daughter" and "Indifference," the band's only third-ever performance of the pre-Pearl Jam act Mother Love Bone's "Crown of Thorns" and a furious run through the Who's "Baba O'Riley" with all of the arena lights turned on.

The concert went on for so long that Pearl Jam faced a several thousand dollar fine for breaking an 11 p.m. curfew. Frontman Eddie Vedder told the crowd that the stage floor was literally shaking from the audience volume, a feat venue officials said had only ever happened at performances by Bruce Springsteen, the Grateful Dead and Iron Maiden. The venue later waived the curfew violation fine.

Bonus features on the DVD include a 5.1 audio mix and a video for the controversial "Riot Act" track "Bu$hleaguer." "Live at the Garden" was shot by Liz Burns, Steve Gordon and Kevin Shuss, the same team that collaborated on the 2000 tour DVD "Touring Band 2000."

As previously reported, Pearl Jam will return to the concert stage Oct. 25 at Neil Young's annual Bridge School Benefit outside of San Francisco.

Here is the "Live at the Garden" track list:

"Love Boat Captain"
"Last Exit"
"Save You"
"Green Disease"
"In My Tree"
"Cropduster"
"Even Flow"
"Gimme Some Truth"
"I Am Mine"
"Low Light"
"Faithfull"
"Wishlist"
"Lukin"
"Grievance"
"1/2 Full"
"Black"
"Spin The Black Circle"
"Rearviewmirror"
"You Are"
"Thumbing My Way"
"Daughter" (with Ben Harper)
"Crown of Thorns"
"Breath"
"Better Man"
"Do the Evolution"
"Crazy Mary"
"Indifference" (with Ben Harper)
"Sonic Reducer" (with the Buzzcocks' Tony Barber)
"Baba O'Riley"
"Yellow Ledbetter"

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1988172

(Love you, Dad)   8)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2003, 02:27 PM »
Sweetness!  Rarities set and the DVD on the same day!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2003, 10:25 PM »
I stumbled upon the Nightmare on Elmstreet 8-disc boxset at Costco today, for a measely $59.99.  Not bad considering the thing retails for $105, and Amazon currently has it on sale for $91.  I'd never even seen the boxset before (it was originally released back in '99), and found it odd that there didn't seem to be one for the series.  I'd bought several of the previous single DVDs but haven't opened them yet, so back they go in favor of this set.  A little over $7 a DVD ain't too bad...  8)

They had the John Hughes High School Reunion 3-disc set for $29.99, which I thought was the same as Amazon's price, but their's appears to now have been lowered a couple bucks down to just $27.99, with free shipping...

Keep the info flowing V, and it was nice catching you in "that other forum section" yesterday for once!   :-*   :P

« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 10:28 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2003, 11:57 AM »
Keep the info flowing V, and it was nice catching you in "that other forum section" yesterday for once!   :-*   :P

Yeah, well, you can catch my pathetic excuse in my reply to that thread. . .  

Also, some HUGE RELEASE NEWS today:

Woo-hoo!  December 9th, boys and girls!  Get'cha some.

But seriously--added a bunch of stuff today (for December and next year), and link-ified a few more to Deep Discount.

Having problems with my computer today, so I'm going to keep this short, but I'll be back later with my top five big releases for the remainder of the year.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2003, 05:55 PM »
Well, I originally wanted to do a "Top Five Biggest DVDs for the Rest of the Year" thing, and the first four were pretty easy, but I couldn't quite decide on number five.  So, instead, here's a few notable releases--maybe kind of like an honorable mentions type thing.  So, here goes:

A Christmas Story: 20th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition - Release Date: October 7th

The Lion King: Special Edition: Platinum Edition - Release Date: October 7th

Matrix Reloaded - Release Date: October 14th

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - Release Date: November 18th

X2: X-Men United - Release Date: November 25th

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl: 2-Disc Collector's Edition - Release Date: December 2nd

-------------------------------------------------------------------

4.  Finding Nemo: 2-Disc Collector's Edition

Well, this has pretty much been the King of the 2003 Box-Office so far, and, more importantly, a great flick (one that I think I still have yet to read a negative review of).  Plus, the DVDs that Pixar and Disney have done for each of their other movies have been absolutely phenomenal, and when you combine that with this terrific movie, you have a no-brainer purchase.  Expect a ton of fun extra features, from folks that are terribly enthusiastic fans of the format, and a fantastic digital-to-digital transfer.

Release Date: November 4th

----------------------------------------------------------------------

3.  The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD Movie Collection

Well, ultimately, I'd have liked this to have been higher than third-place, but compared to the sheer amount of material we're getting with the top two choices, this just doesn't quite match up, with only around four-or-so hours of bonus features.

However, ultimately, the movie should be the most important factor in deciding whether or not to purchase the discs, and I think most of us here would agree that the Indy films are some of the finest action/adventure films ever made.  That, coupled with the fact that we've waited six years for Steve and George to put them on DVD, means that they could have no extras at all, and they'd still be a noteworthy release.

Expect some really nice transfers with this set, which Paramount has always excelled at, and which have all been digitally cleaned-up and remastered by THX, I believe.

Release Date: October 21st

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: Special Extended DVD Edition

Not much to say here.  If you've got last year's phenomenal Extended Fellowship set (which everyone should), then expect more of the same this time around.  Also available in a Collector's Gift Set with a Gollum statue.  No word yet on if this one will include a free ticket to Return of the King, like last year, but I'd imagine it would.  Even if it doesn't, though--still a must-buy.

Release date:  November 18th

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And, in my opinion, the biggest DVD release for the rest of 2003:

1.  Alien Quadrilogy

This is nine discs' worth of Alien-y goodness, my friends.  Each movie gets two discs--one for the movie, one for the extras, and then there's yet another disc for more stuff.  Supposedly, we'll be getting both the extended cuts and the theatrical cuts for the first three flicks (and maybe Resurrection, as well).

All told, the extras on this bad boy are supposed to be right around forty hours or so, and that's not counting the length of the movies themselves.  This set is primed to be so good, that it should make up for the rather luke-warm reception that the third and fourth flicks have received--and supposedly, the "new" cut of Alien 3 is restoring it to be the flick that David Fincher intended it to be.

Fox hasn't announced a date for this thing (it was previously thought to be November 11th, and now it's rumored to be released on December 16th, but we'll have to wait on their official announcement to be sure).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(Dare I say it?)

Thoughts?   :P
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 05:58 PM by Virex »

Jango Fettish

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2003, 06:42 PM »
I don't think the Alien set is worth it.

1) The last 2 movies were horrible, no matter how many extras you can include for it.

2) They have all been released independently.

3) They have all been released in a Japanese Commemorative Set

4) They have all been released in a US "Legacy" set.

5) There is apparently an Alien 5 in the works which means there will never be a "defintive" Aliens set.

Too many down sides to consider when purchasing such a hefty set for a franchise that is getting progressively worse, just for a couple of extra discs. Especially whatever Fincher does to Alien 3. No matter what, the crew can't not use weapons in the original release, then magically be shown toting, so ultimately it can't measure up to 1,2, or 4.

BTW, I don't know I mentioned this, but "They Live" was bumped up and was released last Tuesday.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 06:49 PM by Cory H »

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2003, 07:59 PM »
I'll go with #2-4 on your list, and am excited to pick up Lion King and Pirates as well, but unless I find it for real cheap I'll probably pass on the Quadrilogy set.  Though the sequel Aliens is one of my alltime favorites, the third and fourth movies didn't do a whole lot for me, so a boxset including those isn't too high on my list at this time.

I just want that Two Towers Extended Edition set, and I want it NOW!  8)