Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100722 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2004, 11:34 AM »
Some good deals this week at Best Buy again...3 for $20 (including the first 3 Muppet Movies)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat27200050017&type=category

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2004, 12:42 PM »
I'm seriously tempting picking up those three Muppets movies.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #347 on: March 29, 2004, 02:14 PM »
Picked up:

Stripes
Crouching Tiger
Muppet Movie
Muppets Take Manhattan
Labyrinth
Dark Crystal

They didn't have Muppet Caper, but I called and got one reserved at another Best Buy, great deal though!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #348 on: March 29, 2004, 04:06 PM »
I asked Virex this before...and he basically said eBay...but anyone know or heard if Disney has any plans on rereleasing Toy Story/Toy Story 2 on DVD in the near future.  Not sure I want to plunk down the $60-$80 for 2 movies if they are going to be out again next Christmas...you know what I mean???

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #349 on: March 29, 2004, 05:53 PM »
I was reading over at either the HTF or DVD Talk the other day, and a "when'll Toy Story be back out" thread popped up--and the only real "information" about the TS DVDs said that they would be re-released in 2008.

I would think that you'd be able to find either the two single-discs or the two-DVD set (not the Ultimate Toy Box) for a pretty decent amount.

Weren't they right around $50 or so the last time we discussed it?  Hell, man--I'd bite the bullet on that one--your kids shouldn't have to wait until 2008 or whatever to see those classics. . .

(I will avoid mentioning the rumors that Disney's planning to do a Toy Story 3, without Pixar, and that they could re-release the other two if/when that horrible plan ever comes to fruition. . .)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 07:25 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2004, 07:13 PM »
I don't know if its still available or not, but I bought a box set with TS I&II and A Bug's Life (single discs).  Might want to look into that, though it's probably OOP.  Edit: It's out of stock at Amazon and you can buy for $99 used, so I'd say it's OOP.  Here's a pic just in case.

The 3 for $20 deal was too good to pass up, so I did it twice.  Picked up the exact ones as you, Scott, expect I got all three Muppet movies instead of subsituting CTHD.  I haven't seen any of them in years and they'll sure to bring back some memories.  Watched TMM when I got home and it makes me want that Sweetums figure so much more now.  Great deal for great movies.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 07:31 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #351 on: March 30, 2004, 02:55 AM »
Just to give you guys a general idea on the pricing of the Star Wars DVD set, if you haven't yet seen it:

$41.99 @ Amazon

Thinking we could see this for as low as $35 when it streets--just like what happened with the release of the 3 most over-rated, and boring movies ever made, last fall.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

« Reply #352 on: March 30, 2004, 03:29 AM »
Ya beat me to it. That's a dang fine price and I'm sure we'll see lower come release day.

By boring and overrated, you mean this trilogy, right?

;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #353 on: March 31, 2004, 02:42 PM »
Got this email yesterday...Hey Hey Hey!

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - Variety reports that a British business 'Has The Power' (and the entire Filmation library); can DVDs be far behind?
Posted by David Lambert
 3/30/2004

The Variety Hollywood newspaper reports via Yahoo News that American rights to popular shows like He-Man, She-Ra, and even The Lone Ranger - all part of the Filmation library of properties - have been purchased from Hallmark Entertainment by a U.K. concern.

Filmation built their reputation on kids' fare, mostly animation, including such classic or cult shows like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, She-Ra: Princess of Power, Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, Bravestarr, Ghost Busters (NOT the version with "Slimer", but rather the original show with the ape, both live-action and animated), Star Trek: The Animated Series, Gilligan's Planet, Jason of Star Command, Space Academy, Shazam!, Isis, Lassie's Rescue Rangers, My Favorite Martian (animated version), and various shows starring the likes of Superman, Batman, Aquaman, The Archies, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Tarzan, and Flash Gordon.

Hallmark has been the owner of the Filmation library for quite some time, and in recent years had been rumored to be interested in selling that set of properties as a single group. Toward that end, supposedly, the entire library of product was kept unreleased on DVD, to preserve the value of the properties to the eventual purchaser. The lone exception was a release of Fat Albert DVDs available only via direct order from Time/Life.

Now a great deal of the rest of that group may be a step closer to DVD release in the USA, finally, with the purchase of the library by London's "Entertainment Rights PLC". Here's what Variety's Adam Dawtrey had to say on the matter:

LONDON -- He-Man, She-Ra and the Lone Ranger have been snapped up by the U.K.'s Entertainment Rights, as part of a $20 million deal to to acquire the Filmation library from Hallmark.

The Filmation library comprises over 500 hours of animation programming, also including "Ghostbusters" and "My Favorite Martian."

These are the first major American assets to become part of the Entertainment Rights stable of characters, which includes Brit kids brands Basil Brush, Postman Pat and Little Red Tractor.

The company unveiled a 22% increase in sales to £29.5 million ($53.2 million) for 2003, and an operating profit of $1.1 million compared to a loss of $0.18 million the previous year. Net losses were reduced to $0.72 million from $1.98 million in 2002.

There's not much more to say right now, so we'll leave it there. Stay tuned for any more we can find out about this developing story. The sale occurred almost a week ago, and we have to admit that we missed it. So our thanks to the fine folks at ToonZone.net for catching it, and giving us the heads-up about it. We simply MUST have He-Man and She-Ra on DVD. Why? "For the honor of Greyskull, Adora."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #354 on: March 31, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Dedicated to Mister Fatty Bitchall, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

There’s a time for love and a time for living.
You take a chance and face the wind.
An open road and a road that’s hidden.
A brand new life around the bend.

There were times when I lost a dream or two.
Found the trail, and at the end was you.
There’s a path you take and a path untaken.
The choice is up to you my friend.

Nights are long but you’re on your way,
To a brand new life,
Brand new life,
Brand new life around the bend.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #355 on: March 31, 2004, 02:53 PM »
Oh!  And I bit the bullet and bought the two Toy Story Discs for the low low price of [size=0]$71[/size]...thank you sir! May I have another? Thank you sir! May I have another? Thank you sir! May I have another? Thank you sir! May I have another? Thank you sir! May I have another?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 31, 2004, 04:05 PM »
Probably a wise decision in the long run Scott.  When Disney puts movies "away" it's typically for 7 years at a minimum.  That's what they did during the VHS era when they went back to the vault.  

Mrs. Bug missed the little Mermaid on video the first time and now buys all the movies asap.  Cartoons dominate our movies at home and they are her only real vice.  77 animated DVDs versus maybe 40 regs.  All of them hers.  Bless her.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #357 on: March 31, 2004, 04:38 PM »
I can't wait to get those Star Wars DVD's for my birthday. While I'm not much into the toys anymore, the movies are still awesome to me.

Also can't wait to see this Starship Troopers 2! I'll buy it if it's in the $9 to $15 range... Anymore and I'll have to pass until it hits the $5 bin. The first movie was pretty good, if you ask me... The second one could be better than expected...  ::) I will buy it.

The GI Joe Seasons DVDs have been on my mind - but I doubt I will ever buy them unless they hit clearance. I love GI Joe, but, all I've heard is bad things about the DVDs.

SilverZ

« Reply #358 on: April 6, 2004, 07:28 PM »
Alright, not a major release to most, but today this was released:

All of the Blake Edwards' directed PP movies, in the coolest packaging I've even seen for a multidisc set. Classy all the way. If anyone is looking, its only 38.98 at Costco (compared to 49.99 at Best Buy on sale!).

Also picked up Matrix Revolutions today.  ::)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #359 on: April 7, 2004, 09:17 AM »
It is very classy packaging, but I don't like how they've got the discs layed out... I think there's 4 foldout pages, 2 discs per page - that's fine - but the top disc overlaps the bottom - so you've got to remove the top disc in order to get the bottom disc out.  :-\