Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100745 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Star Wars OT Extras Disc
« Reply #360 on: April 8, 2004, 12:25 PM »
Many of you have probably already seen this, but I noticed (via TheForce.net), that fye.com has details on the extras on the fourth disc of the boxed set.  I don't know if this is accurate or note, but I thought I'd post it for anyone interested:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Star Wars Trilogy DVD Special Features:

Star Wars: A New Hope IV
Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher
Easter Egg - Credit Roll (2 min.)

The Empire Strikes Back V
Commentary by George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher
Easter Egg - Credit Roll (2 min.)

Return of the Jedi VI
Commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher
Easter Egg Credit Roll (2 min.)

Bonus Disc:

Star Wars: The Independent Films feature length documentary - The story of Star Wars is the story of the most successful independent series film ever produced. It's the story of a Hollywood outsider named George Lucas and a low-budget labor of love space saga that defied the odds and reinvented the rules. It's the story of a revolution born of a dream. It's the story of an independent filmmaker who had to innovate and invent an entirely new way of creating motion pictures. It's the story of a fundamental paradigm shift in the creative process made, not by the studio system, but by a single filmmaker with a simple dream. (150 min.)

The Evolution of Characters featurette - Get an in-depth look at how all your favorite characters came to be with exclusive concept art and discussion with George and the people who shaped what ultimately became out favorite heroes and villains. Includes a separate still/video gallery cut to Star Wars music with access to artwork and classic scenes for each major character. (30 min.)

The Influence of Star Wars featurette - Without Star Wars, there would be no... The groundbreaking special effects that were pioneered to make Star Wars movies not only helped viewers escape to a galaxy far, far away, but they changed the way every movie was made thereafter. Experience never before seen effects innovations from the films and learn how pivitol the films were to modern effects wizards and filmmakers. (20 min.)

Lightsabers/Fights featurette - Forget laser pistols, the lightsaber is the coolest weapon in the Star Wars galaxy. What were George's influences for creating the lightsaber? How did Mark Hamill, Alec Guiness, and Darth Vader stunt people approach wielding a saber? How did the effects guys figure out the lightsaber beam? How did each fight escalate from the previous one? And what influences did this creation have on movies thereafter? (10 min.)

1977 featurette - Transport people back in time to the opening of each Star Wars film. Menus will showcase all the pop culture features from the 1977 opening such as: TV references, toy ads, promotional partner commercials, news clips, songs inspired by Star Wars, Star Wars magazine and newspaper coverage, classic video game demos. (20 min.)

Star Wars Battlefront X-Box Video Game Demo (15 min.)

Teasers and Trailers from the original theatrical releases of each of the movies along with the 1997 re-releases. (15 min.)

TV Spots from the original theatrical releases of the movies along with the 1997 re-releases (5 min.)

Episode III Behind the Scenes Preview
Section One - The Creator: Finally the birth of Vader. George talks about finally bringing Vader back to the series and teases about Anakin's descent to the Dark Side and the powers of seduction in play.
Section Two - The Costume: Black is back. For the last Star Wars movie ever and the birth of the ultimate villain, a new costume was forged. This segment answers some key questions: who created it? was it made for Hayden?
Section Three - The Actors: Finally I get to become Vader. Key interviews with the cast (including Hayden) and crew sharing their thoughts and experiences about working on the last Star Wars film and finally seeing the completion of the Saga. (10 min.)

Stills - A comprehensive gallery of posters from around the world, classic artwork, and never-before-seen photos from all three films (approximately 300 images.)

DVD-ROM Features - DVD ROM link to exclusive Star Wars website.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #361 on: April 9, 2004, 09:20 AM »
The Digital Bits rumor mill has some information on the possible revamping of the Special Editions for DVD release.  You can check out the story here:

Digital Bits Star Wars SE Rumors

They have a picture of what could possibly be new footage of Ian McDiarmid replacing the actor/monkey that was used in the holograph in ESB.  Interesting to say the least.  They also mention the CGI Jabba being fixed up in ANH.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 9, 2004, 09:49 AM »
Doesn't bother me in the slightest.  If that pic is true, it looks a hundred times better.  The eyes / bags / puffiness of the old one has always bugged me.  It just don't look right.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 9, 2004, 02:48 PM »
I just picked up Dark Crystal, Matrix Revolutions & Disney's Brother Bear.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #364 on: April 12, 2004, 02:27 PM »
Hey, can someone do me a favor and tell my friend over at Rebelscum (P.W. Herman) that one of his favorites is coming to DVD on July 6th?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #365 on: April 12, 2004, 02:37 PM »
Cool...I wonder what PW is "up" to these days ???

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #366 on: April 13, 2004, 10:23 AM »
Dedicated to Mister Fatty Bitchall, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

There’s a time for love and a time for living.
You take a chance and face the wind.
An open road and a road that’s hidden.
A brand new life around the bend.

There were times when I lost a dream or two.
Found the trail, and at the end was you.
There’s a path you take and a path untaken.
The choice is up to you my friend.

Nights are long but you’re on your way,
To a brand new life,
Brand new life,
Brand new life around the bend.

Sigh

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #367 on: April 14, 2004, 12:49 AM »
Best Buy has a pretty sweet deal for those of us who needed to pick up both Kill Bill Vol 1 and Resevoir Dogs on DVD this week.  Both of them for $20.

Can't wait for Punky Brewster...if there was one thread that got locked on August 8/9 2003 in Wuhers Cantina...the one I wish could be reopened was the Punky one :'(

The Official Punky Brewster Appreciation Society

« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 12:52 AM by OCB »

SilverZ

« Reply #368 on: April 16, 2004, 02:11 AM »
Cool...I wonder what PW is "up" to these days ???

Isn't there a bunch of controversy about the Big Top Pee Wee scene where he "pitches a tent"?

SilverZ

« Reply #369 on: April 18, 2004, 01:41 AM »
For anyone who takes advantage of Hollywood Video's used DVDs (which are always 3 for $30 or 2 for $20) here's a great deal, pruned from DVDTalk.

Buy HV giftcards from HVgiftcards and enter this code to recieve 20% off:

CLTQRP245

I just bought $50.00 in giftcards for $40.00, shipped free.

I've started getting a lot of my blind buys and lesser new release movies that I can wait a couple of weeks for (like Gothika, Wonderland, etc) there. Only problem is there usually isn't an insert.  :-\ But now they're even cheaper.  ;D

SilverZ

« Reply #370 on: April 20, 2004, 01:59 AM »
The official press release for the OT DVD features is up at starwars.com, pretty much what was listed by mosnab above:

press release

No deleted scenes outside of the frickin' documentary.  ::) The CD-Rom Biggs/Cammie/Fixer clip ain't up to snuff anymore and it's not on this disc? Great.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #371 on: April 20, 2004, 02:12 AM »
No disappointment here.  Three all-new, anamorphic transfers, and remastered soundtracks?  Great.  Commentaries for all three films?  Fantastic.  A 2 1/2 hour documentary on the creation of the trilogy?  I'll take it.  I've already seen the deleted scenes from the "Behind the Magic" CD-ROM, and frankly, they suck.  I have no need to see them again any time soon.  If they want to hold them back, until the mega-release, fine with me.  I just want the movies presented in the best possible form--the best they can look and sound.  For a likely retail price of $35 the week they're released, I can deal with the exclusion of a few crappy deleted scenes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing topics--anyone getting this cinematic masterpiece this week?

Never seen it, myself, but for ten bucks at Circuit City, I can't go wrong.

I've been needing some new "material", anyway, if you get my drift. . .

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

« Reply #372 on: April 20, 2004, 02:53 AM »
Yeah, I shouldn't be complaining, since I'm not big on supplements to begin with, but if there was one sup feature I'd care for, it would be those scenes. I won't even listen to the commentaries, except for maybe ROTJ, just to get mad at all involved for the downfall of the series.

I heard Wild Things was 9.95 at Circuit City this week. I'm kinda/sorta tempted, but people have been saying there's nothing redeeming about the disc other than the two (substantial) new, ahem, "features."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #373 on: April 20, 2004, 09:44 AM »
Yeah, I shouldn't be complaining, since I'm not big on supplements to begin with, but if there was one sup feature I'd care for, it would be those scenes.

Should/could they have been included?  Probably.  I mean, the scenes are available to them, and they're short--it's not like they're LOTR: EE-length or anything.  And they make much more sense to be released in the Trilogy set than stuff like the Episode III Vader featurette, much less crap like the video game "previews" and whatnot.

(Congratulations, Tydirium--you've now just got me pissed off about the deleted scenes.)   :P

I won't even listen to the commentaries, except for maybe ROTJ, just to get mad at all involved for the downfall of the series.

How interesting would an alternate, Gary Kurtz commentary be?  Man, oh, man.

I'm really looking forward to the commentaries.  It's surprising to me that they could get Carrie Fisher, but not Mark Hamill--wonder what happened there.  (And it'll be interesting to see how candid they let Fisher get, too.)  I'm eager to hear Lucas' bullsh!t about how he conceived the whole saga at the get-go, instead of making it up as he went.

I heard Wild Things was 9.95 at Circuit City this week. I'm kinda/sorta tempted, but people have been saying there's nothing redeeming about the disc other than the two (substantial) new, ahem, "features."

I'm biting, just because I've never seen it, and have always been "curious" about it.  Plus, the washed-up, un-funny, over-rated Bill Murray is in it.  And I don't rent or watch much satellite, so this is pretty much the only way I'll ever see this movie.  Eh--ten bucks.  I can't not buy it for that price.  I'm cinemaddicted.  

:-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #374 on: April 20, 2004, 09:55 AM »
I'm cinemaddicted.  :-\

Isn't this some sort of Trademark or Copyright infringement?