Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100727 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #435 on: May 25, 2004, 10:05 AM »
Well I just did swing by Target, got my Popcorn and AA Batteries and the movie.  All for $16, pretty nice deal, quite a few people in their buying the stuff too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 10:28 AM by OCB »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 25, 2004, 10:26 AM »
Picked it up at Walmart this morning.  Swung by to see about the Ozzel wave (not there) and they'd dropped their price by $2, down to $21.99.  They'd sold tons judging by the difficulty I had finding a widescreen version, lots of foolscreen left.  Also managed to snag a poster for free, cool.  

Amazingly, Canadian retail at it's finest there were all of 5 brown carded ROTK figures on the pegs.   ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 25, 2004, 03:09 PM »
My daughter picked it up at Shopko for a grand total of $14.06.  I got the DVD, an 8-pack of batteries and a CD-rom of ROTK.  I hope she remembers it when she comes home this weekend!! :D

Beth

SilverZ

« Reply #438 on: May 26, 2004, 02:28 AM »
Anyone check out the leaked Han/Greedo scene from the DVD? The link is still up (atm) here:

Millenniumfalcon.com thread

It looks a lot better than the 97 SE. Not quite such a hackjob in my opinion. Does that make it the right choice? 'Course not, but at least its not horrible to look at as well, now.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #439 on: May 26, 2004, 02:42 AM »
ROTK cost me about $15 at Target.

I've seen the Greedo/Han thing, it's still all wrong. Greedo never got off a shot, damnit!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 26, 2004, 07:58 AM »
Target had plenty of dvds but no batteries or popcorn.  Not that care all that much, but they should stock more of this stuff when there's a promotion going on.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 26, 2004, 08:28 AM »
I picked up my pre-order at Future Shop on the way to work last night. $22.99 & I got my limited ring. My Precious.   :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #442 on: May 27, 2004, 01:33 AM »
Request for you, good sir:  Any chance we (you) can keep an archive of what's been released already?  For example, I've not been paying much attention to new releases the last several weeks, so I went to check your list to see what I've missed recently, only to find out that your list is quite up to date as far as whats "upcoming", in a very literal sense, and stuff that's been released already, even just yesterday, is apparently subsequently deleted.  Can we pretty please keep the old stuff around too, on a go forward basis?  You could stick it in a separate post or something, if you want to keep the first post in this thread just for the "upcoming" stuff...

What say you?!   :-*

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #443 on: May 27, 2004, 03:56 AM »
What say you?!   :-*

I say. . .  no.

That list is already too long and cluttered enough as it is; the last thing it needs is to be made any longer with stuff that was already released weeks, if not months, before.

I could see maybe keeping the most recent Tuesday's releases around until the next Tuesday, at the very longest--any longer than that would just be silly.

If someone else wants to keep a record of the DVDs that have been released to-date, well, that would be even more pointless and confusing in my opinion, but who am I to stop them?  I wouldn't want to be involved in any other list or thread--frankly, this list is probably more trouble than it's actually worth to begin with.

My thought is that, if you're interested in past releases, there are a good half-dozen or so sites out there that have very comprehensive listings and reviews going back several years, and a quick search of those sites should yield any information on any current release you're looking for.  

If there's a title you're not sure has been released or not, you can always check the usual online retailers as well--Amazon or Deep Discount, or even DVD Price Search for some of the others.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #444 on: May 27, 2004, 03:58 AM »
June:

Spider-Man: Deluxe Edition (1st)
Spider-Man: Superbit (1st)
Field of Dreams: 2-Disc Anniversary Edition (widescreen) (8th)Blazing Saddles: 30th Anniversary Special Edition (29th)

July:

The Bourne Identity: Explosive Extended Edition (13th)
Predator: Collector's Edition (27th)
Showgirls: V.I.P. Special Edition (27th)th)

August:

The Lost Boys: Two-Disc Special Edition (10th)

September:

Mask: Special Ediiton (1985) (7th)
Footloose: Special Collector's Edition (28th)

November

Top Gun: Special Collector's Edition (16th)

2004:

Daredevil: R-rated Director's Cut
Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition 2-Disc Set (Dec. 7th)
The Shawshank Redemption: 10th Anniversary Edition
Titanic: Special Edition

I swear to God, this $h!t is really starting to drive my freaking insane!!!   >:(  This is eerily similar to the constant rehashes spit out by Hasbro, but on a slightly more expensive scale with these DVDs.  I hate not having the absolute best, most comprehensive DVD on the market, with the best audio and video, the most extras, the added footage, etc., etc.  So when all these Special Editions keep coming out for movies I've already bought, I really want to smash my head into a wall really hard, or at least do my best Michael Douglas Falling Down impersonation on someone - most likely a Best Buy cashier.

Lesson:  Must wait several years, if not more, to finally buy a DVD I'm interested in, so I don't have to buy the damned thing twice!  And that takes far more patience than I'm usually sporting...

I think I asked this once before when this issue was discussed, but what does everyone here do (especially Virex, Tydirium & jokabofe) with their obsolete DVDs?  Ditch 'em on eBay?  Put 'em up for trade here?  Is there a site for selling DVDs like this?  Some of my now (or soon to be) obsolete DVDs haven't even been opened yet, so I guess maybe I can return them for some store credit at a few places?   :-\

Sincerely,
Frustrated obsolete DVD owner
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 03:59 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #445 on: May 27, 2004, 03:59 AM »
I'm not all bad news, though, Matt--I do know of a couple of guys that may be able to help you out:

:P
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #446 on: May 27, 2004, 04:05 AM »
I say. . .  no.

Yeah, I kinda figured that'd be the answer.  Don't get me wrong, Matt - I still dig your list here (and the effort that goes into maintaining it).  I was just hoping you'd possibly bail me out for being so damned lazy at times with keeping up on this stuff...

My thought is that, if you're interested in past releases, there are a good half-dozen or so sites out there that have very comprehensive listings and reviews going back several years, and a quick search of those sites should yield any information on any current release you're looking for.

That'd certainly suffice.  Care to divulge a couple, so I don't have to browse around Google?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #447 on: May 27, 2004, 04:12 AM »
The thing is though, Matt, that a lot of those re-releases you quoted are of movies that were originally released several years ago, with inferior transfers, flat audio, and weak features.

Certainly not all are, but for every "new" special edition released just to cash in on a theatrical sequel (I'm looking at you, Bourne Identity: Explosive Extended Edition), there's a new edition of a movie that really needed it--the new Goodfellas disc, due in August, is a terrific example.  The old disc sucked--you had to flip it in the middle of the film, I don't believe it was anamorphic, and whatever the extra features were--I'm sure they pale in comparision to what the new one is gonna have.

A lot of those discs being re-released--their old versions were released in DVD's infancy, and were pretty much just laserdiscs transferred to DVD.  The entire technology has improved since then.

In terms of what people do with their old discs--I think a lot of people use Ebay or Half.com.  Some people just trade them into their local used record stores or pawn shops or whatever.  As for me, I typically just trade mine to Scott for whatever Star Wars figures I either missed out on last year, or am too lazy to go search for this year. . .

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #448 on: May 27, 2004, 04:24 AM »
June:

NBA Dynasty Series: Chicago Bulls: The 1990's (four-discs) (1st)

Yo V!  What the hell's the deal with this glaring ommission, eh?!?  ::)  Same DVD series, same release date, better team.  Shame on you for making me go find that on my own!   >:(

My #3 top purchase for DVDs this year, behind only the Trilogy and ROTK EE.   8)

I'm willing to let your atrocious oversight slide just this once Matt, but please try to be a little more diligent with your list here, and not let something like this happen again.  Thanks.

P.S.  As your punishment, I just got you stuck in the last post on the prior page.   :-*
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 04:59 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #449 on: May 27, 2004, 04:29 AM »
Oh, and it's not on the list, because I hate them, but I thought you might be interested in something coming out next Tuesday:

The Lakers: The Complete History
INCLUDES THE HITS ...
"Meet the Champs" (1953)
"That Magic Season" (1980)
"Something to Prove" (1982)
"Return to Glory" (1985)
"Drive for 5" (1987)
"Back to Back" (1988)
"Dynasty of the New Millennium" (2000-02)
BONUS TRACKS ...
1972 Finals, Game 5

1980 Finals, Game 6
1982 Finals, Game 1
1985 Finals, Game 6
1987 Finals, Game 4
1988 Finals, Game 7
2000 Finals, Game 4
2001 Finals, Game 5
2002 Western Conference Finals, Game 7
(All games listed above are shown in their entirety.)

$47.51 at DDD

There's a Bulls disc coming out, too, that's gonna rock the house:

The Bulls: The 1990s
INCLUDES THE HITS ...
"Learning to Fly" (1991)
"Untoucha-Bulls" (1992)
"Three-peat" (1993)
"Unstoppa-Bulls" (1996)
"Bulls Championship" (1997)
"Unforgetta-Bulls" (1998)
BONUS TRACKS ...
1991 Finals, Game 5
1992 Finals, Game 1
1993 Finals, Game 6
1996 Finals, Game 6
1997 Finals, Game 5
1998 Finals, Game 6
(All games listed above are shown in their entirety.)

$34.50 at DDD