Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100731 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Major DVD Release List for Fall '03/Winter '04
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2003, 09:51 AM »
Well, based on the movie previews from  last night's LOTR-ROTK previews you can probably add the following to the late 2004 list:

Harry Potter ___________

Shrek 2

The Potter preview didn't do much for me, but I suspect the movie will be enjoyable nonetheless.  

Shrek 2 I admit to being cynical about.  Some movies don't lend themselves well to subsequent treatments and should just be left alone.  This may not be the case for the next in the Shrek series.  The preview was certainly entertaining.  The novelty will be gone but it may succeed.

There were a few other previews, none too notable, though Ashton Kutcher seems to have a role landed where he has an IQ above 3.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2003, 01:23 PM »
Well, based on the movie previews from  last night's LOTR-ROTK previews you can probably add the following to the late 2004 list:

Harry Potter ___________

Shrek 2

It will be done.

There were a few other previews, none too notable, though Ashton Kutcher seems to have a role landed where he has an IQ above 3.  

Yeah, funny that you mention that--I saw that trailer, too, when I went and saw ROTK (what else?) with a buddy this weekend.  

We decided that:

Ashton with facial hair = Evil/dramatic Ashton
Clean-shaven Ashton = Funny/happy-go-lucky Ashton

I look forward to his Best Actor Oscar win in a couple of months for his brilliant work in Just Married.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2003, 03:24 PM »
You can add "Drama Queen" to the facial haired Ashton.

I saw the sneak preview of "Cheaper by the Dozen" yesterday afternoon, and he plays a self absorbed underwear model, who likes to play up everything bad that happens to him, and treats his red Chrysler LeBaron like an H2.

His I.Q. in this movie is a subjective thing. Or maybe not, since he is playing a male model role a la Derek Zoolander, who had alot more flash.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2003, 05:13 PM »
he plays a self absorbed underwear model. . .

(snip)

His I.Q. in this movie is a subjective thing. Or maybe not, since he is playing a male model. . .

What a stretch that must have been for him!   :o

(For those not "in the know", Kutcher was a model before he became a "star", and Demi Moore's boytoy.  And yes, I'm ashamed and embarrassed that I'm "in the know" on that one. . .)   :-\
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2003, 11:22 AM »
I guess this isn't technically "release news", but this is the first actual "official" information I have seen regarding the Seinfeld DVD sets. According to this article, they're coming, but unfortunately George (Jason Alexander), Elaine (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), and Kramer (Michael Richards) will not be participating in any way, shape, or form:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/23/news/companies/seinfeld_dvd/index.htm?cnn=yes

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #155 on: January 2, 2004, 10:49 PM »
So what DVDs are you guys looking forward to for the new year so far?

Here's my preliminary "to buy" list:

• Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete First Season (1/13)
  • American Splendor (2/3)
  • Ed Wood: Collector's Edition (2/3)
  • Lost in Translation (2/3)
  • Planet of the Apes: 35th Anniversary Edition (widescreen) (2/3)
  • Rain Man: Special Edition (2/3)
  • Chappelle's Show: Season One: Uncensored (2/17-24)
  • School of Rock (3/2)
  • Schindler's List (widescreen) (3/9)
And those are just the officially-announced titles.   :o  And man, February 2nd!  That's a huge day, for some reason.  Usually the few months after Christmas are dead as far as big releases go, but there's some decent stuff ahead.  

Of the ones that will be coming this year, but don't have dates as of yet:

• Aladdin: Platinum Series
  • Blade Runner (may not be coming, actually)
  • Duel (if it makes it this time)
  • Harry Potter and the Blah, Blah, Blah
  • The Iron Giant: Special Edition
  • Kill Bill, Volume One
  • Kill Bill, Volume Two
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: Two-Disc Theatrical Version
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: Four-Disc Extended Edition
  • The Matrix Revolutions
  • Seinfeld: The Complete First Season
  • The Simpsons: The Complete Fourth Season
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Star Wars Trilogy
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars
  • Titanic: Special Edition
  • Top Gun: Special Edition
  • The Untouchables: Special Edition
Good thing many of these will be coming out in the latter half of the year--will give me plenty of time to sell some plasma and donate some sperm in order to be able to afford them all. . .   :-\

What about you guys?
« Last Edit: January 2, 2004, 10:50 PM by Virex »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 2, 2004, 11:05 PM »
OK, first Duel is coming, then its not & now it is (sorta) & now Blade Runner is up in the air! WTF!

Is that Blade Runner the theater release? If it is, look out!  ;D
Also, what do we know about Battlestar Galactica?

'Cylon-Head' Packaging Is Going Away

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #157 on: January 2, 2004, 11:21 PM »
OK, first Duel is coming, then its not & now it is (sorta)

Duel has never been "cancelled"--just delayed several times in a row.  Why, exactly, I don't know, but no, never cancelled.

& now Blade Runner is up in the air! WTF!

Is that Blade Runner the theater release? If it is, look out!  ;D

There have been rumors about a new Blade Runner disc for, literally, years.  At least two or three.  Apparently, it's tied up in "legal issues".  However, Ridley Scott is a "friend of the format" (see Alien Quadrilogy, Black Hawk Down (3-disc set), Gladiator, Legend: Ultimate Edition, etc.), and something will come out eventually, and it will be great, the be-all, end-all, for Blade Runner fans, I'm sure.

Also, what do we know about Battlestar Galactica?

'Cylon-Head' Packaging Is Going Away

Well, personally, I don't know sh!t about Battlestar Galactica, but I saw something about this at The Digital Bits just a little bit ago, myself.  It sounds like they're just changing over the packaging from the big-ass molded robot head case, which apparently is quite unwieldy, to a more-traditional type of packaging.  I'm sure the content will be exactly the same.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 2, 2004, 11:43 PM »
I have seen Blade Runner the Director's Cut twice & I still can't stand it. The theater version or as its known for bootlegs "International" is way better IMO. The narration was good & the "violent scenes" were not that bad.

Yea, same set for BG & change the package. From a Cylon to a what, Viper, Galactica?   :D

Duel for now will still have to be the VHS I have for now.  :-\ Ahh, the wait!  :'(  

Looks like its going to be a good year for DVDs tho.  8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 3, 2004, 12:07 AM »
Hmm, to Cylon or not to Cylon, that is the question.

From the coming months...
Lost in Space: Season 1 (6th)
Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (3rd)
Planet of the Apes: 35th Anniversary Edition (3rd)
Brother Bear: 2-Disc Special Edition (30th)
Aladdin: Platinum Series (October)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Shrek 2
Spider-Man 2

As far as LOTR and Matrix go, I am waiting to see what the ultimate and inevitable boxed sets bring.  I am hoping to just get the 87 disc set of the former and probably the 8 disc set of the latter.  I will end up with both eventually.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #160 on: January 3, 2004, 12:16 AM »
Heres some more you may want to add..

January 13th
Swimming Pool

January 20th
Cabin Fever

Marci X

January 27th
Thirteen

Radio

House of the Dead

February 10th

Party Monster

February 17th

Intolerable Cruelty

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 3, 2004, 12:20 AM »
As far as LOTR and Matrix go, I am waiting to see what the ultimate and inevitable boxed sets bring.  I am hoping to just get the 87 disc set of the former and probably the 8 disc set of the latter.

87 disc set, I wonder what figure will come with it!  ;D

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #162 on: January 3, 2004, 12:34 AM »
Heres some more you may want to add..

January 13th
Swimming Pool

January 20th
Cabin Fever

Marci X

January 27th
Thirteen

Radio

House of the Dead

February 10th

Party Monster

February 17th

Intolerable Cruelty

Thanks, but several of those are already listed, and the ones that aren't, I don't give enough of a sh!t about to put on there.  

:-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #163 on: January 3, 2004, 01:20 AM »
My list (some are for the wife and Jr(s) not sure where we stand on the Mouse so a lot of those Cartoons are probably a year or two away from being bought

January:

Cheers: The Complete Second Season (6th)

February:

Ed Wood: Collector's Edition (3rd)
My Fair Lady: Two-Disc Special Edition (3rd)
Rain Man: Special Edition (3rd)
What's Happening: The Complete First Season (3rd) RIP Fred "ReRun" Berry

March:

Schindler's List (widescreen)

2004:

Blade Runner
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Iron Giant: Special Edition
Kill Bill: Volume One (Spring)
Kill Bill: Volume Two (Fall)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King:
     Two-Disc Theatrical Version (May 25th)
     Four-Disc Extended Edition (November)
Mary Poppins: Special Edition (two-discs)
Seinfeld: The Complete First Season (December)
The Simpsons: The Complete Fourth Season
Spider-Man 2
The Untouchables: Special Edition
Star Wars: Clone Wars
Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition (September)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #164 on: January 3, 2004, 07:52 PM »
There have been rumors about a new Blade Runner disc for, literally, years.  At least two or three.  Apparently, it's tied up in "legal issues".  However, Ridley Scott is a "friend of the format" (see Alien Quadrilogy, Black Hawk Down (3-disc set), Gladiator, Legend: Ultimate Edition, etc.), and something will come out eventually, and it will be great, the be-all, end-all, for Blade Runner fans, I'm sure.

Well, I just found a new site for DVD news, DavisDVD, and they had just put up a tidbit about the holdup with the Blade Runner set just recently:

We may finally have some reason why Warner Bros' long-planned Blade Runner Special Edition has been put on an indefinite delay. An article in this past Sunday's New York Times Art and Leisure section focused on why some classic films can be delayed from ever reaching the DVD market. In some cases, it may be something as simple as film elements being stored in mismarked film cans. Other times, it may be that because of constant corporate mergers and turnarounds, many studios aren't always sure of what they own. Often, however, it's money squabbles and legal hurdles which can put the kibosh on new disc releases. And unfortunately, this seems to be the case with Ridley Scott's futuristic masterpiece.

The ownership issues with Blade Runner are long and confusing, so I'll spare you the ugly details. But, in a nutshell, Warner Bros only has theatrical and home video distribution rights for the 1992 "Director's Cut" version of the film. The elaborate three-disc special edition plans on including this version, as well as the original 1982 cut along with a new definitive Director's Recut. But producer Jerry Perenchio, who apparently controls the original negative, hasn't signed off on any of this. And until some agreement can be reached, we'll just have to keep waiting for our ultimate BR box set.

http://davisdvd.com/news/rumors.html

Looks like "Jerry Perenchio" is the dickhead to blame for the three-year delay here. . .   :-\