Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100650 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #375 on: April 20, 2004, 10:18 AM »
I'm cinemaddicted.  :-\

Isn't this some sort of Trademark or Copyright infringement?

I don't know.

People think it's easy to be a cinemaddict, but they don't realize just how DVDifficult a life it really is.  There are times when you go on a binge, spending $140 at Deep Discount, but then there are the horrible, horrible withdrawals you go through during the slow weeks.  It's awful.

It's become the most important thing in my life--watching my DVDs on my 27" Sanyo, bought from Wal-Mart, through my PlayStation 2--probably the greatest DVD player ever created.  I'm a junkie.  It's all I do all day--I'm just addicted to cinema.  A cinemaddict.  My cinemaddiction now comes before everything--friends, family, work--I don't even have a real job.  It's even affected my personal hygiene.  The last time I bathed myself was back in DVDecember, the day when Pirates of the Caribbean was released.  That was an important DVDay--and you better believe that I looked and smelled great as I strolled into Best Buy as soon as they opened to get my fix for the DVDay.

I'm the black sheep of my family.  I've shamed my friends.  I can't look anyone in the eye anymore.  They gave me this videotape to watch--it was an over-dubbing of that old public service announcement--"This is your brain.  This is your brain on cinema."  I watched it once, and threw it out, because it wasn't a DVD.  They put a lot of work into having it made, and I threw the damn thing away.

I've tried everything to rid myself of this horrible, horrible DVDisease--12 step programs, cold turkey.  I've even checked myself into DVDetox centers.  Nothing seems to work.

I've heard my friends and family talking a few times--I think they might be planning an intervention once I hit 400 discs.

People think it's easy, being a cinemaddict, but take it from me:  I wish to God that I had never started down this slippery, slippery slope.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 10:23 AM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #376 on: April 20, 2004, 10:26 AM »
Here's an idea...maybe you should write a screenplay about your life and sell it to the makers of Trainspotting (call it Trainspotting II)...make sure though that they sign Ewan to reprise his role as Rent Boy before you hand over the script otherwise I won't even rent the DVD.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 10:28 AM by OCB »

SilverZ

« Reply #377 on: April 21, 2004, 03:09 AM »
That was an important DVDay--and you better believe that I looked and smelled great as I strolled into Best Buy as soon as they opened to get my fix for the DVDay.

And sadly Tuesday is now only known as "new release day" with mandatory Best Buy trips. God, somebody shoot us.

Please report back if you see some value in that Wild Things disc. I've resisted, amazinlgy. My only new movie this week is Master & Commander on D-VHS. Never seen it.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #378 on: April 27, 2004, 01:23 AM »
Just a bump to remind everybody that one of the sweeter movies from 2003/04--Big Fish--is out on DVD today, and can be had for $15.99 at Circuit City and Best Buy, and $17.99 at Target.  No idea what Wal-Mart will wind up selling it for. . .  

But, go out and get it.  Great flick.  Made me realize that I kind of take my dad for granted sometimes. . .

And sadly Tuesday is now only known as "new release day" with mandatory Best Buy trips. God, somebody shoot us.

The sad thing is--I can determine what day of the week a certain date falls on based on the Tuesday release date.  For example, if you asked me "what day of the week is July 12th?" I'd say, "well, July 6th is a Tuesday, and so is July 13th, so July 12th must be a Monday."

Just call me Raymond Babbit.

Please report back if you see some value in that Wild Things disc. I've resisted, amazinlgy. My only new movie this week is Master & Commander on D-VHS. Never seen it.

Wild Things, Wild Things. . .  I've scanned through it, to "demo" a few "key scenes" (for which reasons I shant go into here)--but have yet to really watch the movie.  And don't know when I will, either--I finally got around to watching Requiem for a Dream last night for the first time, and I've had that DVD for like a year and a half or something.  

But, for ten bucks at Circuit, it wasn't too bad at all.  'Course, I don't have the original disc.  Don't know if it would be worth the upgrade or not.

And--hey--D-VHS?  How do you like it?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 01:28 AM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

« Reply #379 on: April 27, 2004, 04:47 AM »
Big Fish is essential. Everyone should get this.

I picked up The Cooler last night at Kmart, which put it out early. Blind buy. Also Stuck on You is today. Guess CC is this week's winner on prices. If I see Wild Things I may cave and buy it, too.

Yeah, DVHS is sort of a necessary evil right now for some hi-def stuff, since the cable system here sucks and I can't get a dish to my apartment. My friend has this really cool hi-def tivo-like thing that he's backing up all his tapes to. That might be more practical. Until I can afford that, I'm in this sort of stone-age meets bleeding edge hell.  :-\

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 27, 2004, 07:46 AM »
Might have to check out Big Fish.  Sounds like it's worth a blind buy.

After searching for a while, I finally picked up a guilty pleasure of mine: 10 Things I Hate About You.  
When I can't figure out what to watch, this is one movie of two movies that will get a spin. (The other being Dazed and Confused).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #381 on: April 27, 2004, 07:59 AM »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 29, 2004, 02:05 PM »
Apparently, Amazon.com has a listing up for the Clone Wars Animated series on DVD.  It has a message saying it isn't currently in production, but if you sign up for their "e-mail me when available" feature on it, the information will be forwarded to the studio to let them know it is a demanded release.  If you want to see these on DVD, it might not hurt to try and help it out.  Here's the linky:

Amazon's Clone Wars Animated Listing

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #383 on: April 29, 2004, 02:17 PM »
Finally bought Big Fish today, hope to see it tonight or this weekend or in the next 7 months ::) :P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 29, 2004, 02:33 PM »
Big Fish is a movie the wife and I always wanted to check out when it was in theatres, but missed out on that.  We are hoping to rent it sometime this weekend to see how it is, and maybe buy it if we enjoy it.  It looked pretty good from the previews and comments I have seen on it.

Offline hasek3993

• Youngling
  • scalpers are figments of your imagination
    • View Profile
    • scruffy customs
« Reply #385 on: April 29, 2004, 04:09 PM »
I TRUELY LOVED THAT MOVIE!
but its probably not for everyone, so it may just be my taste, very moving in spots.  i seriously think its one of my top 10 all time. i only got to see it once in the theartre but will be making up for that this weekend with the dvd ;).   on a side note the dvd really lacks in extras, that kind of disapointed me.
i love it when a plan comes together

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 29, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Big Fish is a movie the wife and I always wanted to check out when it was in theatres, but missed out on that.  We are hoping to rent it sometime this weekend to see how it is, and maybe buy it if we enjoy it.  It looked pretty good from the previews and comments I have seen on it.

It's absolutely fantastic.  Picked it up on Tuesday...

And this Tuesday:

Probably the first musical I'll have ever bought.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 29, 2004, 09:30 PM »
picked this up today (along with big fish)

even though i bought the universal stuff when it was released a few years ago, i just had to get this. not bad - $60 in best buy gets you 14 classic b&w flicks and 3 busts.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 29, 2004, 10:15 PM »
picked this up today (along with big fish)

even though i bought the universal stuff when it was released a few years ago, i just had to get this. not bad - $60 in best buy gets you 14 classic b&w flicks and 3 busts.

I also had to bite the bullet and shell out the 60$ for it...  way too nice a set to pass on.  My only gripe is that it's basically a Van Helsing commercial which taints it a bit for me...  But still a nice set - and the franekstein bust is terrific.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 29, 2004, 10:22 PM »
I'm cinemaddicted.  :-\

Isn't this some sort of Trademark or Copyright infringement?

I don't know.

People think it's easy to be a cinemaddict, but they don't realize just how DVDifficult a life it really is.  There are times when you go on a binge, spending $140 at Deep Discount, but then there are the horrible, horrible withdrawals you go through during the slow weeks.  It's awful.

It's become the most important thing in my life--watching my DVDs on my 27" Sanyo, bought from Wal-Mart, through my PlayStation 2--probably the greatest DVD player ever created.  I'm a junkie.  It's all I do all day--I'm just addicted to cinema.  A cinemaddict.  My cinemaddiction now comes before everything--friends, family, work--I don't even have a real job.  It's even affected my personal hygiene.  The last time I bathed myself was back in DVDecember, the day when Pirates of the Caribbean was released.  That was an important DVDay--and you better believe that I looked and smelled great as I strolled into Best Buy as soon as they opened to get my fix for the DVDay.

I'm the black sheep of my family.  I've shamed my friends.  I can't look anyone in the eye anymore.  They gave me this videotape to watch--it was an over-dubbing of that old public service announcement--"This is your brain.  This is your brain on cinema."  I watched it once, and threw it out, because it wasn't a DVD.  They put a lot of work into having it made, and I threw the damn thing away.

I've tried everything to rid myself of this horrible, horrible DVDisease--12 step programs, cold turkey.  I've even checked myself into DVDetox centers.  Nothing seems to work.

I've heard my friends and family talking a few times--I think they might be planning an intervention once I hit 400 discs.

People think it's easy, being a cinemaddict, but take it from me:  I wish to God that I had never started down this slippery, slippery slope.

The only thing that can possibly make it worse, is being a cinema addict with horrible taste in films and an unbelievably ****** collection of crappy titles.