Author Topic: "Nerdy Nuisance? Jawa Sandcrawler sparks Township Debate"  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
"Nerdy Nuisance? Jawa Sandcrawler sparks Township Debate"
« on: December 8, 2004, 11:18 AM »
Oh ****...not again.

Nerdy Nuisance? Jawa Sandcrawler sparks Township Debate

GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- Not so long ago in a galaxy far, far away - or just southeast of Philadelphia - Mike Degirolamo had a plan.

He wanted to build a 20-by-12-foot model of a Jawa Sandcrawler, a hulking transport vehicle from the original ``Star Wars'' film, before the next installment of the saga ``Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith'' opens in May.

To get the project done, he doesn't need the Force, but rather the power to persuade the township council it's a worthy project. The council is planning a special meeting to discuss whether Degirolamo will be allowed to erect the model on the property of a local business.

There are two concerns about the proposed meeting of the fantasy and real worlds, according to township community development director Ed Sayers.

First, the property is in a historic redevelopment area where the Sandcrawler might not fit in architecturally. Also, it could be a liability.

``This is certainly one of those gray areas,'' Sayers said. ``This could wind up being an attractive nuisance and a safety concern if kids try to climb on it."

Source

Why doesn't he just make something that the average citizen of his town would recognize (and possibly be more open to) like the ******* Millenium Falcon? This sounds like the "Taintive IV" [sic] all over again.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Re: "Nerdy Nuisance? Jawa Sandcrawler sparks Township Debate"
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2004, 11:42 AM »
Why doesn't he just make something that the average citizen of his town would recognize (and possibly be more open to) like the ******* Millenium Falcon? This sounds like the "Taintive IV" [sic] all over again.

He's probably been reading the thread where everyone is bitching that the Hasbro Sandcrawler is not in scale with the 3/4" figures, and he decided to do something about it.

Let's go bump the one about the Falcon back to the top and see if we can get him to tackle that instead.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2004, 03:36 PM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2004, 11:44 AM »
Woah woah woah...doesn't MICHAEL DEGIROLAMO know this has been done before?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2004, 11:46 AM »
This sounds like a job for Matlock!  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: December 8, 2004, 11:49 AM »
Wait though, what is M. FRIGHT'S real last name?  Maybe this is HIM :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2004, 11:54 AM »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: December 8, 2004, 11:56 AM »
May the Force be with him

Gloucester Township, New Jersey 

08 December 2004 14:04

Not so long ago in a galaxy 8km southeast of Philadelphia, Mike Degirolamo had a plan to build a large model of a vehicle from the Star Wars movies. But the authority in his sector sought to suppress it.

The plan was to build a six metre by three-and-a-half metre model of a Jawa Sandcrawler, a relatively obscure icon from the original Star Wars film, before the next installment of the saga Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the
Sith opens in May.

To get the project done, he doesn't need the Force, but rather the power to persuade the township council it's a worthy project.

The council is planning a special meeting to discuss whether Degirolamo will be allowed to erect the ode to the movies he loves on the property of a local business, Mulch Express. The business said Degirolamo could build there after his landlord said he couldn't do it at his home.

There are two concerns about the proposed meeting of the fantasy and real worlds, township community development director Ed Sayers told the Courier-Post of Cherry Hill for Tuesday's newspapers.

First, Mulch Express is in a historic redevelopment area where the Sandcrawler might not fit in architecturally.

Also, it could be a liability.

"This is certainly one of those gray areas," Sayer told the newspaper. "This could wind up being an attractive nuisance and a safety concern if kids try to climb on it."

Degirolamo (38) a truck driver, is also an aspiring horror screenwriter who goes by the name "Michael Fright."

Seven years ago, the Star Wars fanatic became so frustrated that official Star Wars vehicles were not built to the same scale as the action figures that he started making models himself. His collection dominates his family's living room and he estimates he's seen the first movie as many as 1 000 times.

Perhaps his greatest achievement is the ten-and-a-half metre model of a different sci-fi ship for the opening of the last Star Wars installment in 2002.

That massive model was assembled in Degirolamo's yard. After neighbours complained and inspectors showed up, he had to put up a fence.

"I think they're closed-minded," Degirolamo, the father of six children, said of official naysayers. "I'd like to change their minds." - Sapa-AP

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2004, 11:59 AM »
Well looks like Scott has solved the riddle & pooped his pants!  ;D

Boy, Michael is moving up in the world with bigger projects!  :o

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2004, 12:06 PM »
Yeah, he's gonna paint a dumpster brown and rust colored. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2004, 12:29 PM »
This is where I want to bring all my ideas to life. I haven't officially opened yet, but the kids have been literally banging down the door," said Fright, standing inside the castle-themed store.

Fright is filled with ideas - screenplays, comic books, furry children's toys, music, and more elaborate models. He also wants the store to double as a sort of community center for the local youth.

"Joey, do you like Gladiator movies?"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2004, 12:49 PM »
Bitchin'.

But what's the deal with this new, bigger Sandcrawler now?  Is it in scale with the 12" line or something?   ???

Or will it actually be driveable?!   8)  Can't blame the guy for wanting to cruise down Main St. in a real life Sandcrawler now, can ya'?  Hopefully he'll dress up as a Jawa too, and take some more cool pix.

Think Jawas are allowed to have mullets under their hoods?
« Last Edit: December 8, 2004, 12:53 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: December 8, 2004, 01:24 PM »
So how big is the next Sandcrawler going to be? I'm excited.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 8, 2004, 02:55 PM »
As big as a wish, and as fun as a basket of baby chimps!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: December 8, 2004, 06:43 PM »
Yes that is Michael Fright.

And actually there's an update to the story...  The council's given that the go-ahead so long as he cuts that F'n hair already.  Jersey is tired of the stereotypes. 

BTW I believe he actually does have the mullet cut, if he was honest last time I ran into him.

His first SC is in scale with the figures, more or less, so I'm just baffled by this next attempt.

He's a different guy... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #14 on: December 8, 2004, 08:12 PM »
Well Michael has an account here at JediDefender, so maybe he can log-in and let us know just how big he's going to build this thing.