Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 193296 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #855 on: April 9, 2024, 04:03 PM »
I started selling a bunch of stuff on Mercari last year, which I believe is owned by eBay, but have gotten similar DMs. I'd say 1 out of every 10 messages usually leads to an actual sale. I really don't understand why people ask, because Mercari has the option to offer, and most people offer $5-10 less than what I'm selling for, so I typically accept the offer anyway.

The question that gets under my skin the most is when people ask me to hold an item I've just listed for 5-10 days until their next paycheck comes in. I always tell them I'll do it for a down payment, and so far nobody has followed up on that offer!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 10, 2024, 06:28 AM »
I have seen it all over the past five years of selling.

A lot of "my cousin/sister/uncle will come pick it up, do you take Zelle?".  I refuse to even sign up for Zelle because it just seems to be a scammers app.

I get a ton of "is this available" and then when I reply yes, I never get another response.  A whole bunch of "will you take $50 when you have something listed for $250".

I think a lot of people think inflation entitles them to pay a lot less instead of having to pay more.  I had one guy go ballistic and call me a scammer because he demanded an extra picture of an expensive item with his name on a piece of paper.  I told him here are some extra pictures, but I'm at work and unable to fulfill his request at that moment.  Real ahole on how he came back at me.  He then said he would kick my ass after I came back at him for calling me a scammer.  I will be happy when all my stuff is sold so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 10, 2024, 05:03 PM »
I can't begin to count the number of obnoxious eBay users I've blocked for all of the belligerence and lowballing that I've had to deal with on my sales listings. 

I had one "interested party" who made a lowball offer on a Legacy Collection comic 2-pack - one of the EE exclusive ones that now command serious prices.  And the item had a good number of people who were watching it - maybe as many as 30.  When I responded to him saying "Thanks for your offer, but I've got some 30+ other users following the listing.  Considering the level of interest I have to pass".  So he came back with "Well, then why is it still available if there's so much interest?"  It was enough to make you want to tear out your hair dealing with that *******, who I'm pretty sure I blocked shortly thereafter.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 10, 2024, 07:12 PM »
I do eBay garage sales once or twice a year where I'll list maybe 50 to 100 things and I never get questions like that.  I do let people make offers though and set auto-rejections for really low ones.  So maybe the low-balling people just get weeded out that way?  I also set it so people with feedback scores below 5 can't bid on my auctions, maybe they can't email me either.