Author Topic: The Official Darth Big Boy, Bearer of Bad Celebrity News RIP Thread  (Read 387094 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Kirby & Puckett
« Reply #150 on: May 2, 2005, 11:30 AM »
Well, my favorite pets in the world have now gone to the place in the clouds reserved for dogs. 

When I was a freshman in high school, we got a black Chow that I named Kirby, and three years later, we got another that was a Chow-Shepard mix and we named him Puckett. 

Kirby was 13 and Puckett was 10.  Very sad to see them get sick and no longer be the strong, happy dogs they had been for so long and, and true parts of the family.

I know that Chows have sometimes a bad reputation, but these dogs were the best and nicest animals I have ever seen.  When they were babies, we treated them like babies and we still did until their last days.

Back in October, Kirby had a stroke and lost his abilty to walk on his own very well.  In December, he was getting really bad, and we almost had him put to sleep.  Puckett seemed to be grieving and was very sad.  Then we realized on December 23rd that Puckett would not move and seemed to be in extreme pain.  We took him to the vet and he had liver cancer that had spread thoughout his intestines.  Needless to say, Puckett was in so much pain that we had to put him down that night.

We were shocked and heart broken.  Puckett was the younger dog that just a few days earlier had been running around and playing with us every day.  Kirby continued to struggle throughout the remaining months.  Yesterday he had 4 seizures.  My parents called me to tell me about it, and last evening I went over to the house to see him.  I fed him a bowl of ice cream with a spoon (ice cream was his favorite) and we took him to the vet last night.

It's sad to see my favorite pets in the world go through that.  I know to some people getting attached to pets is ridiculous, but when you have a small family sometimes these animals become a true part of your home.

:(

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Kirby & Puckett
« Reply #151 on: May 2, 2005, 11:33 AM »
I feel your pain CHEWIE.  Sorry for your loss - pets are such an important part of a family.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 2, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Very sorry for your loss CHEWIE, losing a pet is always tough.  My wife and I are big animal people, particularly dog people, and I know exactly where you are coming from when talking about treating them "as babies".  Our 5 year old Beagle is family to us, and we treat him basically how we would treat a child (if we had one).  I can remember when my longtime childhood dog had a stroke right around my 21st birthday (I got him when I was 7), he lived for a couple weeks longer, but he was never quite the same after that.  It was difficult seeing him that way, to be sure.  Your story is nice, at least you got the chance to spend some time with Kirby and feed him some ice cream.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to you in what I know is a difficult time.  God bless.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 2, 2005, 11:57 AM »
Sorry to hear it man... My dogs are 15 months and 2 and a half and my girlfriend and I are already terrified of the day when they're gone even though it shouldn't be for another 12-14 years... 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 2, 2005, 12:15 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss CHEWIE, no matter what pets we have they are family. I have never owned a dog, I have been a cat person and I have lost 2 in the past 2 1/2 years (Charlie & Boo). I still miss them.  :'(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #155 on: May 2, 2005, 01:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that Chewie.  My cat's a little over two years old (I found her when she was a kitten) and I know I'd be mortified if something were to happen to her.

Pets are as much a part of the family as any person, again, I'm sorry for you loss.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #156 on: May 2, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Woah, I missed the "&" sign in there at first, and actually thought Kirby Puckett had died.  I take it you have some Twins fans in the family...

Sorry to hear about your dogs, Justin.  Many pets (especially dogs) are as much a part of the family as the people are, so losing them is never easy.  But just try to take solace in the fact that they're happy and healthy again, jumping around and playing and having all kinds of fun up in dog heaven now.  :)

- M

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 2, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Cool names, sorry they're gone. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 2, 2005, 02:30 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about your dogs, Chewie.  At this point in my life, I am more fond of animals than I am most people, and they truly do become just like another family member.  I'm a cat person, but losing an animal is like losing your best friend, be they feline or canine.

Just remember that as long as they stay in your mind and in your heart, they will always be alive.  As Hobbes once told Calvin, "I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each others dreams, we can play together all night!"

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you should never stop dreaming, and Kirby and Puckett will never be far away from you.   :'(

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #159 on: May 2, 2005, 03:01 PM »
CHEWIE, I'm really sorry to hear that.  :( :-\ I have never had a pet (other than fish and insects) die, but I've got my first Dog now and he went in for his first senior check up last month, and he's only 7. He seems so young. I love the little guy as much as anyone in my family and I can't imagine life without him, it seems like he has always been there and always will be. He's an Australian Sheppard/Border Collie mix, so he is medium sized like 50 lbs, and I still treat him like a lap dog and carry him and hold him. I am dreading the day he leaves us. :-\ All I can say is I'm really sorrry and it is not wierd to get so attached to an animal. They can be very loving and as much a part of the family as anyone else, I know my dog is.  Hell, I like him more than a lot of people, even some of aquaintances. He is irreplaceable.

Well you know what they say, all dogs go to heaven...
"This is the way."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 2, 2005, 03:21 PM »
Justin, I'm sorry to hear about the dog's. I'm dreading when Athena, our family dog has to go. I get mad at her some times, but we've had her and Bogie (The Beagle) since I was 4 years old. Bogie passed away 2 years ago, and she stayed alive long enough for me to say goodbye to her, give her some water, and pet her till she fell alseep and my Aunt took her home. It was a sad day indeed.

I have that picture of the white dog hosted, and if you have a picture of the other, I can host it and we can post it here to show everyone how cute they are.

Sorry, again.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 2, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Thanks guys for all the kind words.  I didn't get any sleep last night over it and feel so sick for some reason.  My best friend died 3 years ago (he was a big Star Wars collector/diorama builder too), and having these dogs pass away was actually just as hard.

Famine, thanks buddy, I will try and get you a picture of Kirby and Puckett sometime soon.  My other dogs that my wife got for us are really funny (they're Shitzu's) but they won't ever replace Kirby and Puckett.

It's touching to hear how much everyone cares about their pets too.  And yeah, Kirby Puckett was my idol when I was a kid.  Still is. 

:P

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 2, 2005, 04:47 PM »
At first glance, I thought Kirby Puckett was dead  :o

Not to make lite of your situation, not by a longshot. We just had our Doberman of 14 years put to sleep about a month or so ago, and it was very hard on all of us in the family. It's still strange to walk into my mom's house and not have him run down the stairs to see who is coming in the door.

Sorry for your loss.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 2, 2005, 05:44 PM »
Chewie, I am so sorry to read about the loss of your pets.  I hope you have a lot of happy memories and maybe that will help the pain you feel right now.

Take care,
Beth
Beth

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 2, 2005, 06:11 PM »
Thanks to both of you.  It's appreciated.

:P