Author Topic: The Official Darth Big Boy, Bearer of Bad Celebrity News RIP Thread  (Read 387092 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Peter Jennings
« Reply #180 on: August 8, 2005, 09:10 AM »
No! I'm saddened by this. :'(

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 8, 2005, 10:28 AM »
This kind of hit us (me and my wife) out of left field. The news will never be the same. :(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 8, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Like I try to tell friends and loved ones about smoking.  Jennings had quit 20 years prior but the damage was already done.  Same thing happened with my Mom a while back.  She had quit 20 years back but it still was too late. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 8, 2005, 12:10 PM »
Ouch... very sad.  I always enjoyed him.

:P

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 8, 2005, 12:37 PM »
omg!  Was he even off the air? 
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 8, 2005, 01:02 PM »
Like I try to tell friends and loved ones about smoking.  Jennings had quit 20 years prior but the damage was already done.  Same thing happened with my Mom a while back.  She had quit 20 years back but it still was too late. 
Sorry about your mom.  :'(   I quit 8 years ago next month.  :D  It was the hardest thing I have ever done.  I hope I can escape the damage that I did.  For my kids' sake at least.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline TheBlackDog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 8, 2005, 01:10 PM »
He went off like in April after announcing he had lung cancer. RIP Mr. Jennings, I enjoyed watching and listening to you and the humanity you brough to your journalism.

What scares me is I grew up in a home where both my parents smoked (my Dad quite after his heart attack at 38 when I was 9) but scientists say that 2nd hand smoke can cause as much damage as actually smoking in increasing lung disease of all kinds. Hopefully because I have never smoked, nor my wife we are ok.
" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
RIP Jek Porkins
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2005, 08:50 PM »
From RS:

Whatsonstage.com reports that William Hootkins (AKA: Porkins) has passed away after a battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 58.

Here's a snipet from Whatsonstage.com:

American stage and screen actor William Hootkins - who lived and worked for many years in the UK and was last seen on the London stage in Hitchcock Blonde - has passed away after a battle with pancreatic cancer. Diagnosed earlier this year, he died yesterday (Sunday 23 October 2005) at St Johns Hospital in Santa Monica near his Californian home. He was 58.

Born in Dallas, Texas on 5 July 1948, the ebullient Hootkins – known as Bill or ‘Hoot’ to his friends - made his stage debut in a local school production that co-starred a fellow student who later had success in Hollywood, Tommy Lee Jones. He initially tried to distance himself from drama by studying astrophysics and Chinese linguistics at Princeton University, but soon became involved with Princeton’s Intime Theatre group. On the recommendation of his friend, John Lithgow, he moved to the UK after graduation to study at LAMDA (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts) and subsequently made his home in this country.

In a busy career, Hootkins worked regularly on both sides of the Atlantic. His first film role was in 1977, playing Jedi fighter Jek Porkins in George Lucas' Star Wars. Though the part was small, it had a big impact. He joked in a Whatsonstage.com interview two years ago (See 20 Questions, 28 Jul 2003): “In a sense, my career's been downhill ever since. Fans still come to greet me at the stage door with action figures of my character and embarrassing photographs for me to sign.”

------

That stinks. He's the second SW actor to die this year.

RIP  :'(
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Jek Porkins
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2005, 08:53 PM »
This is a real bummer for me. Never got to meet him but always heard he was a real super guy. RIP.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2005, 09:04 PM »
This is a real bummer for me. Never got to meet him but always heard he was a real super guy. RIP.

I heard the same things. I always wanted to meet him as well. RIP.
"This is the way."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2005, 09:55 PM »
I honour Mr. Hootkins with one of the most memorable lines of ANH:

"Stay on target."   8)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2005, 10:24 PM »
I actually got his autograph in Omaha, Nebraska years ago now.   He was a lot of fun to talk with.  Very down-to-earth kind of guy was the impression I got from him.  Yep, the Star Wars OT actors are starting to get up there unfortunately.   We are going to be seeing a lot more of these in the next several years. 

SilverZ

« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2005, 12:28 AM »
Bill Hootkins and I were on the same flight back from Indianapolis in 2002, and we spent some time chatting during the stop in Phoenix.

He was insightful, kind, and charismatic.

I'm saddened to hear of his passing and wish his loved ones the best.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2005, 01:14 AM »
Always, always wanted to meet Mr. Hoot and get an autograph - I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about the guy, I've only ever heard that he was really kind and gentle.

"Think about the future."

:'(

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2005, 02:49 AM »
Never met him or got his autograph or anything (not into that stuff), but I attended a small Q & A session he was in at a show in Dallas several years ago, and remember him being incredibly witty, humble, and charming.

He was definitely one of our top men.

Top.  Men.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."