Author Topic: The Official Darth Big Boy, Bearer of Bad Celebrity News RIP Thread  (Read 388452 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Darth Big Boy, Bearer of Bad Celebrity News RIP Thread
« Reply #315 on: September 30, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Another Canadian has left us.  :'(

Bond star Lois Maxwell dies at 80

Farewell Miss Moneypenny.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 29, 2007, 01:04 AM »
Farewell Porter, glad I got to see him perform at the Opry a few months ago.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #317 on: November 27, 2007, 02:12 AM »
Quiet Riot Lead Singer Kevin Dubrow Found Dead at 52

'Tis a sad day for metal fans. 

John

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #319 on: December 5, 2007, 03:42 AM »
I love how nobody but Dale said anything about Evil Knievel dying...  Could've been what a reportedly immense dick the guy was to other people, routinely, that caused such an underwhelming response.  I've heard nothing but horror stories about what kind of guy he was to his family and just about anyone else.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #320 on: December 5, 2007, 09:46 AM »
I love how nobody but Dale said anything about Evil Knievel dying...  Could've been what a reportedly immense dick the guy was to other people, routinely, that caused such an underwhelming response.

. . .Or it could be that most people around here are simply too young to remember Evel Knievel.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #321 on: December 5, 2007, 01:53 PM »
Who?
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #322 on: December 5, 2007, 02:51 PM »
You know, Evel Knievel.  The guy who "jumped the shark" and made the phrase famous... duh.   ::)
« Last Edit: December 5, 2007, 02:51 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #323 on: December 5, 2007, 03:41 PM »
I love how nobody but Dale said anything about Evil Knievel dying...  Could've been what a reportedly immense dick the guy was to other people, routinely, that caused such an underwhelming response.

. . .Or it could be that most people around here are simply too young to remember Evel Knievel.

Really?  I guess I never considered most here that young.  I'm 30 and remember him well, but maybe you're right.  I figured there were enough old farts to warrant some response.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #324 on: December 5, 2007, 04:35 PM »
Really?  I guess I never considered most here that young.  I'm 30 and remember him well, but maybe you're right.  I figured there were enough old farts to warrant some response.

I'm 32 and my only knowledge of him came from a couple older kids next door, who had some toy of his that they played with in their driveway.  That was pretty much my only exposure to the guy.

But, then again, I was only allowed to watch Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers up until I was fourteen or so.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 5, 2007, 05:52 PM »
if you are over about 35 evel knievel was probably a huge hero.  as a kid we didn't really know about his drinking or womanizing, we just knew he did awesome things on a motorcycle.  and... crashed alot.  pretty much every makeshift ramp any kid put together was due to trying to emulate evel knievel.  he was my generations tony hawk.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #326 on: December 6, 2007, 01:15 AM »
I do have a brother who is pushing 40, so I had some exposure to EK that maybe you whipper snappers didn't have. ;) 

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 6, 2007, 09:00 AM »
You know, Evel Knievel.  The guy who "jumped the shark" and made the phrase famous... duh.   ::)

EK didnt jump a shark.. There were only two bodies of water he jumped over...the fountains in Vegas and the Snake River Canyon.

You're thinking of the Fonz.. HE is the one that "jumped the shark", spawning the pop culture phrase.

You're welcome.
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 6, 2007, 09:22 AM »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #329 on: December 6, 2007, 10:40 AM »

EK didnt jump a shark.. There were only two bodies of water he jumped over...the fountains in Vegas and the Snake River Canyon.

You're thinking of the Fonz.. HE is the one that "jumped the shark", spawning the pop culture phrase.

You're welcome.

Thank you, hansolo_506.  Thank you.

For years, I've felt safe in knowing that Arthur Fonzarelli was the man who "jumped the shark," but nineteen hours ago, my world was violently turned upside down with the "revelation" that it was actually Evel Knievel, and not The Fonz who was responsible.  After all, it must be true, because why else would a JD staff member (and an admin, no less) try to mislead anyone in this way?  To say that this was a massive shock to my system would be an understatement.  Every belief I've ever had was briefly put into question:  If this one thing was untrue, if Fonzie wasn't actually the one who jumped the shark, then what other truisms, that I've held for lo these many years, actually weren't truisms at all, but just other hoaxes cruelly perpetrated on an unsuspecting American public?  For example, what if Sprite, not 7-Up, was the true "uncola?"  What if Bounty-brand paper towels weren't really "the Quilted Quicker Picker-Upper" at all?  As you can probably imagine, the concept of these things being untrue shook me to the core.

But this morning, you came along, and with your post, set everything to ease.  Now I realize that it was indeed Fonzie all along, and not Evel Knievel, who was responsible for this landmark moment in pop-culture history.  I was foolish to let my emotions get the better of me.  My faith in the pop-culture icons of my youth has been restored, but my faith in Jeff "Nataku" Smentek, as an administrator of this website, has been damaged, possibly forever.  Maybe it was just a throwaway post, maybe he was just trying to be cute, maybe he really believes that Evel Knievel jumped the shark, I don't know.  Nevertheless, his post has done near-irreparable damage to my psyche, and for that, he must be punished.  I have reported his post to the rest of the staff, in hopes that one like it will never be made, ever again.  Furthermore, I don't believe that anyone with Mr. Smentek's "sense of humor" should be serving in any kind of official capacity on this website (or any other, for that matter), and I am calling for his immediate removal as JediDefender administrator.  The good people of this website deserve better.

With that said, again, thank you, hansolo_506.  Thank you for setting the record straight.  All is right with the world again.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2007, 10:49 AM by Matt »