Community > Watto's Junk Yard

A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)

(1/38) > >>

Jeff:
OK, so I decided that we need a separate thread for this series.  If it turns out that only Scott and I ever post in this thread, so be it.   :P

So, I am now about 660 pages into Book 1, A Game of Thrones, which I picked up thanks to a recommendation by Scott in the JD Book Club.  It is a fantastic book and I thank Scott for his suggestion. 

There are many similarities between the story so far and the historical War of the Roses (history, NOT the crappy 80s movie ::)).  I cannot believe how I was quickly sucked into the story and the world of the Seven Kingdoms.

SPOILERS

Man, so a lot of people that I thought would be major players in this series start dropping off!  There is a lot of set-up only to surprise you by someone unexpected croaking off!   :(  Already a few of the characters I had grown to really like have been cast aside.   >:(  Of course, the beauty of the book is that each passing gives specific motivation to the rest of the cast to play out their roles.

OK, I won't say any more until I am finished with the book, although I am interested to see what will happen with Drogo and his khaleesi as they prepare to sail west.  Should be interesting when the Dragon meets the Lion and the Wolf and the Rest...
END SPOILERS

My goal is to finish book 1 before I head out for Portland (Christmas Travel) so that I can start book 2, A Clash of Kings on my plane ride west!

So, anyone else heard of or read any of the books in this series?  Played the CCG?  Read any of the Anthology short stories or Graphic Novels?

Jeff

Scott:
I can't say again (but I will) how awesome and how much I enjoyed the first book.  It really is a great story with so much going on that I can see why its going to be 6 books. 

Has anyone else ever read these?
If not, you really should.  They are that good, IMO

Jeff:
OK, so this weekend I finished the first book.

Let's just say that after 800 pages there were still a few surprises left in the book at the end.  Didn't quite turn out like I was expecting, and that was a good thing.

I'm now about 3 chapters into the 2nd book, A Clash of Kings and desperately cheering against the Lannisters.

Jeff

Scott:
Yeah...it definitely twisted there at the end in to something I didn't think would happen at all

Is it Christmas yet? :P

Mister Skeezler:
Oh yeah! This is a great series!

I'm probably about 1/3 through A Storm Of Swords (the third book?), but I haven't touched it in awhile, just because I got busy with so much other ****. The storyline in this is pretty damn sweet though. I'll probably just start the third book over again from the beginning, because I don't really remember where I was.

How many of them have been written so far?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version