Author Topic: Other Lines: Any Purchases (or Non-Purchases) You Regret?  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Other Lines: Any Purchases (or Non-Purchases) You Regret?
« on: December 15, 2004, 01:35 PM »
Looking back on any other non-Star Wars lines you have checked out, dabbled in, or jumped in full force to, do you have any regrets?  Are there any figures/lines that you wish you never would have started, or maybe just individual figures that you feel might not have been worth it now?  Or, on the flip side of things, are there any figures or lines that you passed on, but now wish that you wouldn’t have?

I haven’t ever really dove in full force to any other line, with Marvel Legends and Lord of the Rings probably being the largest representation at around 10 figures each.  I don’t regret any of those purchases, I’m very happy with the figures I have chosen to buy so far, but maybe a little disappointed that I passed on some others along the way.  But, most of what I passed on can still be obtained relatively cheap if I still wanted to.

As far as other purchases that were more single, or a couple of figure purchases, I do have a few regrets.  Being a Batman fan, I bought a few of the new animated show’s figures.  While I think the figures are nice, and really like the Batman, looking at it now I don’t think I really “needed” them.  I also picked up the Batman/Superman Mattel 2-pack (for the Supes), but now that I have the DC Direct JLA Superman, the other one seems a little silly.  I do still like the figure, but again, probably didn’t “need” it.  I have a few MOTU figures (He-Man, Roboto, Sy-Klone).  I don’t necessarily regret any of those, and specifically not He-Man or Roboto (who is my favorite), but while I also liked the Sy-Klone character growing up, I bought it at the time because I thought I was going to collect the whole line…that never happened.  Again, probably didn’t “need” to purchase that.

As far as non-purchasing regrets….I guess they all turned out for the best.  I always regretted not getting into the Lord of the Rings line right off the bat…but it turned out ok, because most everything has been re-released or improved upon (at cheaper prices) since then.  The same goes for Marvel Legends for the most part.  I initially regretted not starting in with the Muppets line off the bat, and still do regret that somewhat, although I guess I didn’t really have the room for it anyways (got the Indy Kermit though, which I am happy I purchased).  The biggest regret would probably be the Simpsons line.  I’ve watched that show, and thoroughly enjoyed it since it began…and always looked at the figures but never took the jump to buy them.  I still consider picking up a few of them through the secondary market (or through re-releases), and someday I might.  That is a line I think I could have gotten into, but I guess that would be a bad thing too since I can’t really support (financially or space-wise) another “large scale” collection.  Anyways, this got longer than I intended….but do any of you have regrets from your “other line” collecting?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Other Lines: Any Purchases (or Non-Purchases) You Regret?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 01:38 PM »
Kevin would kill me to hear this - but I regret buying all of that Jurassic Park stuff back in the day.

:-X

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 02:02 PM »
I regret getting into Marvel Legends.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 10:58 PM »
Kevin would kill me to hear this - but I regret buying all of that Jurassic Park stuff back in the day.

:-X

Then give it all to MEEEEEE! :-*

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 11:27 PM »
Legos...  Too damn many of them, too damn expensive, and a pain in the ass to keep track of.  Feel like selling them sometimes, then wonder if I'd even make back what they cost.

Especially SW Legos.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 08:19 AM »
Mcfarlane figs have to be my biggest downfall of stuff I don't need but can't resist.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 07:39 AM by infinitifett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 09:17 PM »
I hate to bring up a SW line, but damned if I don't totally regret buying E1 figures.  I shudder when I look at that shelf sometimes, and ponder the $ that went into those things.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 01:08 AM »
I regret buying basically anything not SW and animated Batman/Superman figures.

-The first four McFarlane monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein, Hunchback, Wolfman). Cool looking but lost interest quick. A dozen+ Spawn figures. After the detail's ooohhh factor wore off, they were just brittle toys of characters I knew little about.

-Everything ToyBiz, especially the female characters when it was the fun thing to chase down. It didn't matter how crappy they looked, the hunt was on.

-Three figures from Trendmasters Tarzen line. What the heck was I thinking?

- A couple of figures from "Congo".

-Four Aliens and Predator figs. Just got caught up in the collecting craze.

-The larger ship from Titan AE just to get the figure for customizing. Thankfully I got it on clearance for $10.

-About 4 basketball players from the old Kenner sports figures line (can't remember what it's called). Yeah, as if the Warriors' 1st round pick, Joe Smith, would have an impact in Oakland.  ::) Jason Kidd was an alright decision because of his Bay Area connection. All in all, the figures suck because of the generic bodies and crap-lame detail.

-Dozens of of Star Trek. It just got out of hand and I was buying just to buy instead of restricting myself to only the figures I truly wanted.

-And yes, LEGO. I jumped into that feet first -- SW, trains, archeology adventure sets, witch castle, lots of packs of mini-figs, even picked up a couple of smaller older pirate sets. A month later, I was sick of it all.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 09:55 AM »
This is an interesting thread I thought I'd bring back up (since I'm just starting to look through older threads).

I bought a lot of Toy Biz figures back in the early '90's that I wish I hadn't wasted time and money on.  I usually only bought figures I liked or figures that had cool or unique designs.

I was also big into the Star Trek line before SW released in 1995. I don't regret buying most of those figures and I still have them loose in a display case.

I have a lot of misc. figures from various other lines that looked cool at the time or I was jonesing for a toy purchase and picked them up.  Also a few that I thought "hey, I could customize this into character X or Y," but then never did.

I jumped on the Simpsons figures early not because I liked them but because I saw they were pulling in cash on the secondary market.  Luckily, I sold them all off just before the bottom fell out of the market for them.

I can't think of any figures or lines that I don't collect that I wish I had.  There are a few figures here and there that I've passed on that I thought were cool but now, glad I didn't buy them. 

When it comes to Star Wars, though, I've recently been looking at my collection and seeing that I kind of have a lot of crap.  I used to like buying all sorts of odd and different things because I thought they made the overall collection more diverse and kind of cool.  Meaning that anyone collecting modern Hasbro stuff pretty much has a collection that looks like everyone else's...it's the unique stuff that stands out.  But now I kind of wish that a lot of it would just go away. 

One thing that I think might give me a different perspective on my collection, though, is if I could finally find a house instead of an apartment.  At any given time I have 95% of my collection in boxes and rotate things out to shelves for display, and that just sucks any way you cut it.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 12:20 PM »
Let's try a twist on the question as well: Any purchases you're really happy you have made?  Specifically any toy lines you're glad you own?

For me it would be the World of Simpsons line.  I was very selective with this line right from the start.  I only wanted Homer figures and drifted from that strategy only minimally.  Scott sent me a playset I didn't really want/need that led to me purchasing a Moe figure.   >:(

But aside from that I have all the Homer figures and sold off pretty much everything from the playsets he was in (Christmas, NYE, etc) right away. 

I own three Mr. Burns figures, the original, repaint and playset.  I own one Smithers, I think again from Scott.  Aside from that I own one or two other basic figures, mostly purchased to get an exclusive Homer and that's it. 

I do regret the McFarlane Sportspicks, I spent a lot of money there.  But I also sold off my stuff without taking much of a hit.  Nice stuff, but very few athletes I actually want to have on my shelves.  I'm down to 5 keeper goalies for hockey and some Jets Selanne figures.  I'll probably keep a Phil Esposito and will pick up a Bobby Orr as well.  For football I own a Culpepper, Bennett and Moss.  I'll probably unload Bennett at some point and throw Moss in the trash.  From basketball I only own three figures - Bird, Erving and Maravich.  So from a high point where I owned every hockey figure, regular and variant (except for the four horsemen), a couple of series' of complete football figures and numerous basketball players I'm down to under a dozen figures total.  I'll probably cut that number down as well. 
I can only see myself buying Legends figures in future (unless by some miracle there's a third Jets figure) and even then, once Orr is done the only guy I can think of is Dryden (and his political ramblings may turn me off that yet too).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 04:00 PM »
I have a pretty complete collection of Starship Troopers items that I'm happy I still have.  I think I'm missing one 7" figure and maybe a Galoob Action Fleet bug but I haven't looked to finish that off for quite a while.

Most of the stuff that I'm happy that I bought now, even though at the time I wasn't sure I should, are some 12" GI Joe figs over the last couple of years.  Now that Hasbro has called off the 12" line I'm glad I picked them up.

And Morbug, just toss that Moss figure...he's just pissing off your other SP figs.   ;D

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Let's try a twist on the question as well: Any purchases you're really happy you have made?  Specifically any toy lines you're glad you own?

The Kill Bill figures ROCK! Wish I had bought a second set, but was being a tightwad. :P  Can't wait to find the new KB V2 figs!!! ;D

I am very selective in my non SW purchases, I am glad to say there are no regrets(or too few to mention...)

I had bought the first 5 series of the Simpsons, and gave them to my best friend. There were just too many to keep up with, but I thought they were very cool.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 04:20 AM »
I regret some of the Sports Picks purchases.  There really was no need to be such a completist as I was and I should've focused only on players that I like and locals than anything else.  I don't really need that many Red Wings players, do I?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 05:24 PM »
I completely regret buying figures from MAC's BTVS line.  I got every single regular figure from the first Buffy to the two Gentlemen, with a few exclusives (Series 1 Vampire Angel, Series 1 and 2 ToyFare Buffy, Leather Jacket Faith), but all they'd doing is lying in a Rubbermaid bin (not) collecting dust.  After they completely destroyed the TV series in Seasons 6 and 7 (just my opinion, no flaming please), I lost any and all interest in the show from that point on, and the figures became very secondary to me.

I pretty much completely regret buying Legos, even if they were SW.  I ended up selling the vast majority of them (I kept and I am keeping the two Slave I's), but nobody wanted the Technic droids at all.  So, like the BTVS figures, they're in a Rubbermaid bin, (not) collecting dust.

I've gotten several "impulse" figures over the years, from Kenner Aliens to McToys Leatherface and Ash, but it was never enough to say, "I'm collecting this entire line."  SW gives me enough headaches as it is, so I couldn't imagine going through that with another line, hence why my Simpsons WOS collection (which I do NOT regret buying) is incomplete. 

I do have some other items, such as several stuffed Muppets and a Kim Possible action doll thing with magnets, that I do not regret buying, but outside of those and the 10 or so Simpsons figures, I pretty much regret every other non-SW toy purchase I've made.   :'(

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Give me your Angel figure.  :-*

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...