Author Topic: Where to start (comics)?  (Read 6251 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Where to start (comics)?
« on: March 6, 2003, 03:30 PM »
I'm kinda interested in starting a collection of Star Wars comic books, but I don't have a clue where to start.  I saw that timeline on Dark Horse Comics' website (http://www.darkhorse.com/products/zones/z_starwars/zp_timeline/index.html), but where did everyone here start?  What are the best series to begin with first?  Can you buy any of the series together to save on pricing?

Any suggestions are welcome!
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Where to start (comics)?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 10:57 AM »
My apoligies for not responding earlier.  :-[

Definately a ton of good comics to try out, but I'd start with the TPB versions, simply because they are bound, easier to read, and while they won't be worth the same as the individual comics. Some day, the binds of those will wear out while you will still have your TPB. I won't stress my love for TPB too much.  ::)

The coolest comics in Star Wars are probably in different order from the ones you need to start with. I'd go in this order.

DarkHorse Star Wars Classics (Vintage) Volumes 1 through 5 (perhaps 6, not sure). This is a bound set of the entire series of Marvel comics first sold after ANH, roughly 1977 through 1986. They are around $40 per volume, but pretty awesome. I've bought the Volume w/ the ESB, Volume 3, I suggest you buy Volume 1... Note- The covers are identical, make sure you look on the bind for a black circle w/ the Volume #.

Dark Empire (1 & 2) -> Pretty awesome, if you buy the whole Cloned Emperor thing... It's a must have in any EU collection, I think.

Crimson Empire -> This is about the Emperor's Guards. It's pretty cool, one of my favorites.

Bounty Hunters -> Short stories of Aurra Sing, Boba Fett, Lando, etc... Cool.

Chewbacca -> Interesting backstory of Chewbacca, not a must buy but cool anyway.

Darth Maul -> Same as Chewbacca, its an interesting backstory.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 12:51 PM »
In addition to what Brad said, I would also recommend looking into TPBs of the Rogue Squandron comics.  The whole run should be out in TPB now (except the first arc, Rebel Opposition)

If you're into a sometimes humorous look at the Star Wars universer as told by different authors, I suggest also picking up Tales.  Its produced quarterly (issue 16 came out last week), but there are 2 or 3 TPBs out now that reprint the earlier works.  Some issues are not as good as others, but there a quite a few excellent stories in them.

I don't know if you're really into comic books at all, but the Clone Wars stories in Republic and accompanying one shots are excellent.  It might be worth it to add them to you're monthly list (if indeed you read comics)

Hope this helps  ;D
Common sense isn't so common

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 01:33 PM »
What's TPB?
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 01:41 PM »
What's TPB?

I think it stands for trade paperback.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 02:41 PM »
DSJ is correct

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 03:34 PM »
Where's the best place to get them?
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 06:49 PM »
I get mine from the local comic shop, but I'm sure Books-A-Million can order them, too, as they used to have them. I know for a fact that several Barnes & Nobles carry TPB's...

I don't collect comics, I get the TPB's, so I'm hoping the Clone Comics will make their way into TPB.   :-\

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 06:57 AM »
Where's the best place to get them?

Any large scale book store like Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc. should have a fairly decent collection of TPBs.  They're usually near the science fiction section of the store.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2003, 12:38 AM »
If you can find a comic book/collectibles shop in your area that would be best in my opinion. Here's why...

1. smaller market stores are homey and appreciate your patronage. If you become a regular face in the shop and create a relationship of sorts with the employees/owners, they usually will go out of their way to help you and usually offer discounts if you start a file there of monthly publications or comics you want them to hold.

2. Most of these places order from Diamond Comics Previews catalog. They will let you order from them and you can get any and all SW TPBs in the Darkhorse section. They order what you want for you and at no extra charge.

3. You would be supporting your friendly neighborhood and local Joe who needs the $$$ more than the big businesses of the world (sorry, trying not to be too political. I know how much trouble it can get one into).

anyway, that's my opinion. I also recommend that for collectibles sake, you check into the actual vintage Marvel comics themselves. While you would most likely not read them, they are great additions to any Star Wars collection and take me back to a simpler time. Still looking for the Giant Size movie adaption comics! Mine are beyond recognition from just being a kid...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 12:28 AM »
Try the Diamond Comics Comic Shop Locator.  Find that here: http://csls.diamondcomics.com/.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 05:56 PM »
Try the Diamond Comics Comic Shop Locator.  Find that here: http://csls.diamondcomics.com/.

Awesome!  I found a comic shop that's very close to here that I didn't even know about.  I'm going to have to try them out.  Thanks!!!
dustrho

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 09:56 PM »
No problem.  I'm happy I could help.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2003, 09:01 PM »
I'd also like to recommend "Tales of the Jedi".  It takes place LONGGGGG before Episode 1 and for the most part, was well written.  

I actually stumbled across the Dark Empire while I was buying Marvel comics back when it first came out but had missed one and two.  Since I was a regular customer,  the owner back ordered them for me.  I have been hooked on SW comics ever since  :).  Hope you find that your comic book dealer is as good as the one I have!
Beth

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 03:52 AM »
I am glad you posted the Diamond Shop Locator Nicklab. Good call! We all need a good dealer, um, errr, I mean comic book shop.

Other good reads and comics I recommend are:

- Jedi vs. Sith # 1-6 or TPB
- Splinter of the Minds Eye # 1-4 or TPB
- Shadows of the Empire #1-6 or TPB
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."