Author Topic: My collection boxed up and home construction photos  (Read 50760 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: My collection boxed up and home construction photos
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2006, 05:03 PM »
I really like how you've decorated the house - the flooring, paint, doors and trim are exactly what we would have done (well, maybe not the blue in the kitchen, we're more 'neutral' when it comes to color).

Either way, you and your wife have great taste (or maybe just your wife).   ;)

The layout, from what I've seen, looks perfect too.

I'd love to see more pics (of the inside and out) whenever you get time.

Gives me inspiration to work a little harder (maybe I shouldn't be here right now)....

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2006, 09:12 PM »
Yes, I want to see pictures of the inside now.  I want to see Sydney's room.  And about that Harley...you won't regret it but you might need to move a little more south so that you can ride it for more than three months. ;)

PS:  I assume the tubs are labeled??  You didn't do the random guess thing like some other Canadian I know???
Beth

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2006, 09:29 PM »
Thanks for the update Brent.  I feel your pain about collecting too.

I also want to see some updated pics of the house.   :)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2006, 08:34 AM »
I keep trying to talk my wife into letting me get a Harley.  So far, she's holding firm.  Guess I have to try harder.  Of course, I could have saved the money from selling my stuff instead of buying Kubricks and FX lightsabers, and use it to go towards a bike, but my collecting bug hasn't died, just my love of Hasbro stuff.

Your collection looks a lot like mine did when we first moved, Brent.  Nothing but boxes upon boxes.  It's still a lot of boxes and Rubbermaid bins, but slowly but surely, it's dwindling.  It's somewhat therapuetic (sp?).

Good luck with everything.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2006, 02:59 PM »
Well, I'm sitting around the house while some guys knock out a portion of the garage wall that was cracked before we ever took possession, so I guess I'll finally get a bunch of pics up. 

It's been an experience and I'm not sure I'd repeat it.  Just the hassle of having to be around so much for them to finish **** they should have had done before possession date has been grinding for both my wife and I.  Once the year's up and the house is no longer on an absolute sort of warranty, I'll probably be happier even if something ***** up, since it'll be on my terms. 

Anyway, pictures, less griping.  First coupe are collection stuff, just to show how little I have out and how much is boxed up, even if the pictures probably don't represent the sheer volume of crap I own.  I'm only about 10% of the way to the Harley, btw.  Keep spending all the **** in paypal no matter what happens, so it's only local cash sales that help that cause.

Couple of shots of the boxes in the basement:

How little stuff I have out :'(

We haven't been able to get much of a start on the yard, owing to delays in getting the final yard grading done by the builder.  They delayed sufficiently long enough there wasn't much point.  Plus the pool will go in the spring, so not much point in landscaping anything at this point.  We did get started downstairs a bit by doing the electrical (yes, they insulated and poly'd the walls without doing any electrical :o ::)) so we went ahead and did that and started framing in my eventual toy/computer room.  It'll be about 9'x13' or so.  The plan is also for the screen for the projector in the basement to focus on the outer wall of this room, so I'm going to build in a 'closet' for the components that I can access the back of (wiring) from inside another closet in the toy room for ease of connection, etc.

The rest of the pics are just house ****.  First up is main floor...

kitchen:

family room:

dining room:

living room:

hallway to laundry area/den:

staircase up:

staircase down:

Upstairs - bedrooms:

spare

spare 2

Master

Sydney's mess

I think that covers it.  Obviously we're well moved in judging by the mess, but not everything's done.  Some pictures aren't up yet and other **** we just aren't motivated to do.  Life just getting in the way. 

A little brief (for me) on text, so if you have questions, fire away.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2006, 03:06 PM »
Here's my question, has your wife made an issue of how much stuff you had now that you've moved and have it all sitting in the basement?  I got in lots of hot water over that one when we moved :-\

Otherwise it looks great Brent, I really like your paint choices with the woodwork you have, great combos

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2006, 03:39 PM »
Kinda funny you mentioned the wood, huge bone of contention with my wife.  The pillars in the dining room and the fireplace mantel were supposed to be all maple, like the stairway railing and wood in the kitchen.  Oops, but just a major hassle to replace it all.  She's sort of settled into the fact the west side of the house is oak and the east side is maple :-X  I'm probably more annoyed by the sheer variety of mis-matached wood furniture in all shades, but I don't mention that to her because she hasn't commented on it yet and it's not practical to replace stuff to match it up.  Wood's good, leave it alone. 

As for the other question, yes and no.  She's a bit bipolar in terms of her attitude towards the habit.  Some days she hates it and asks what the hell I'm doing (and she's right) but other days she finds it pretty damn harmless.  Opening stuff has helped because I went from about 13-14 of those big tubs down to about six or so.  Lots and lots of boxes, but those are mostly easy to continue to sneak in and they're loose stuff. 

The easiest thing to say is she's about 70% supportive most days.  I think it helps that I move stuff every so often by selling it.  I tend to spend some of that money on her or the kid, as it should have been in the first place, so maybe she notices I'm buying back what should have been?  I dunno.  A big part too is she really doesn't have a great grasp on the sheer dollar value involved.  But I've been a lot better on that end of things since we moved as well.  Most of my spending is via online retailers and a little bit of ebay, though nothing real expensive since we moved. 

The busts and maquettes are eating up a lot of cash in one respect, but not buying up 10-12 of a particular army builder figure seems to make it feel like the busts are now actually free ;)  Any figures I do actually get are pretty much from JuvyD now and we just swap US for Canadian carded stuff.  It's not a great deal for me in one respect, because our stuff is more expensive, but Jim helps me get store exclusives as well in return, so I think it's totally a fair deal after factoring that in.  It's also helped me reduce my dependence on you, Matt, the other Jim and some other folks that have been extremely helpful in the past so the annoyance factor from me is probably down overall.  Except poor Jim in MN, who's sitting on an absolute truckload of **** that needs to come up here.  But I've been helping him too by ordering some busts/maquettes for him to offset the shipping costs.  I still think he's on the short end of the deal because of all the crap that shows up at his door though. 

I was going to ask you how unloading your stuff was going because we'd talked about it in the past and I'm basically in that boat as well.  It's tough slogging and I'm just not overly motivated to go onto ebay to sell these days.  Worst part is there's a toy show coming next month, but my wife is out of town so I can't go there and tap into a much bigger market than I know personally :-\
Shipping out of Canada is too expensive as well and I don't feel like offsetting that cost, otherwise I'd put it up on the boards here or elsewhere too.  And trading for most stuff is just a money losing proposition for me :-\  I guess there's a bright side to that as well as I don't go out and buy stuff just as trade bait anymore, so I don't have cash sitting around tied up in useless figures.  Still a few around, like the two Canadian carded Cody's behind me, but whatever, it's limited for now. 

Too freaking much stuff. :-X

By edit:  yeah, overall lots of hotwater was involved.  Probably will be again once I start trying to unpack all that junk.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:42 PM by Morgbug »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2006, 05:54 PM »
So back to the house - are the contractors going to 'finish' the basement or are you going to do it?

In regards to the wood trim, what excuse did they give for not having all of it match?  It's probably not a big deal, but I know I'm pretty anal about things like that.

Also, does your bedroom have a master bath?  My next house will have one - with two kids, I would die to have our own....

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 05:55 PM by ruiner »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2006, 11:03 PM »
Nope, contractors/builder won't be finishing the basement.  They wanted 20 grand to do it in a very basic fashion and I think that's too much really.  I figure I can do it for $6-7K and do it better than they can.  We've already done the electrical, we've started doing some framing and I've insulated about 1/3 of the ceiling for soundproofing.  We'll pay for someone to tape the drywall and put in the carpet after we do the subfloor.  I think we can manage the rest and make it the way we want. 

The excuse for the wood trim is it's not written down anywhere.  According to them, the maple is the error, according to us, the oak is the error.  Basically the dumbass real-estate agent that wrote everything up ****** it up somehow after we signed it all.  We have a copy that says maple, but they tell us it's an upgrade and we weren't charged for it.  They have two sheets, one with oak, one with maple.  Basically put it's not worth it to us to go to court over.  We basically settled on some minor compensatory stuff (changing a couple of doors, some insulation for the basement) to avoid all the hassle. 

AS for the bathroom, yeah, there's one with the master bathroom.  Nice jetted tub, shower, etc. in there.  Other bathroom on second floor is a four piece and the main floor has a two piece.  So my wife and daughter have bathrooms, there's the main floor general use one and I won't have one of my own until we finish the basement ;)  I knew/know the teenage years will be entertaining, so I made sure there was enough.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2006, 09:26 PM »
Love Sydney's "mess".  Is that Scooby on the bedspread??  I can't tell but I do spot the Little Mermaid on the wall.  I'll have to stock up on McDonalds toys for her :)

I also think the kitchen coloring is beautiful.  What's the glass door by the fridge? (and your cat doesn't seem to care much about anything) ;).

Boy, I sure do have an idea how you feel about unloading all the extra stuff.  I have taken pictures to put all my carded/box stuff on Ebay but just don't feel like the hassle.  My Master Replica stuff will be the hardest to part with and I don't have a clue on how to group all the stuff I opened to sell.  Yuck....

Anyhow-thanks for the updated photo's of the palace.  Very nice indeed.
Beth

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Thanks for posting some new pics Brent, everything looks great.  You sure do have a nice home there, I hope we're able to have a house like that someday.  Looking forward to seeing your collection when you've got the room all finished and set up the way you want it.  Its probably nice in a way to start with a blank slate, and build it just how you'd like.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Brent - congrats on the fairly new home.  How is the basement coming along?  When can we expect some updated pictures of the collection if it has made it to see daylight.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 10:02 PM »
Brent - congrats on the fairly new home.  How is the basement coming along?  When can we expect some updated pictures of the collection if it has made it to see daylight.

Matt, thanks for the comments.  At this point, nothing much is happening much to my dismay.  We really need to wait through to the spring to check the walls and floors after what turned into a really cold winter.  Make sure there's no cracks or leaks or other structural flaws.  So to that end, there's really not that much we can do. 

With respect to the eventual toy room itself, I need to finish the outer wall that will have the doorway in it.  I can do that fairly easily when I get around to picking up some more lumber, something I have been putting off regularly.  I can also frame in the closet for the room but we'll probably leave the drywall down for the time being.  If we do drywall anything, it would only be the left wall in this picture as it's not butting up against anything structural at the moment.

The 2x4 on the left is actually the wall, the rest of the wall just runs in a straight line behind.  I also need to put in the subfloor before drywalling, so that's all probably going to wait until after the spring and the one year warranty is up.  (Warranty is actually five years, but the first year it's sort of a no grief warranty, after that we fight)

Other plans for the basement are getting the other walls up in frame form.  It shouldn't be too bad, though I'm a little leery about the framing by the stairway, that I've never done before and is more complex than just making right angles and following chalk lines.  For framing the remainder of the basement though, here's what I need to do:

Wall 1 (wall to close off my collection room): 7' 0.75" wall with door.
Wall 2 - opposite to coll. room door: 9'0" wall with door (utility room)
Wall 3 - wall along stairs on west side: 15'5" no door, but access panel to read water meter
Wall 4 - wall along stairs on east side, just to close in stairs only about 6'
Wall 5 - wall along back of utility room to 90 angle with wall 3; has door: 13'2"
Wall 6 - outer wall to bathroom in SE corner (outside walls of house form two other walls, wall 5 completes) with door: 8'0"

So basically I can do lots of framing but won't finish the bathroom wall (#6) until we have the shower/sink/toilet/subfloor in there. 

Tons to do, but I know as soon as spring comes I have to finish the fence (about 100' left), build a deck and get some landscaping done so we're not living in a mud pit again.  That all means my room realistically won't be done until next winter at the earliest.  I do think the basement can be framed if we have rainy weekends during the summer.  The subfloor and drywall can go up too.

When we get to the room, I'm thinking about putting in some built in shelves along that left wall also, from the closet to the outer wall.  It's going to make the room fairly narrow probably, but should be more efficient and cheaper than buying shelving later.   I saw a neat display idea at a jewelry store a while ago that looked good and had pot lights at the top.  The goal is to have the room be a functional bedroom, should the use pattern change (like say a teenage daughter) but it should be mine for 10 or so years. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2007, 10:35 PM »
teenage daughter

Only 8 more years until that becomes an unfortunate reality (for me).   ;)

How little stuff I have out :'(

Is all this stuff still in storage?  Or were you able to bring a couple favourite pieces out?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2007, 11:08 PM »
Still in storage.  I have about 30-40 odd pieces out on display on the bookshelves in the den right now, but it's really only new stuff that ends up there for odd reasons.  The recent clones are there, some Family Guy stuff, my mini holograms, Riddell Stormtrooper helmet, etc. 

In that picture is the back wall, where you can see piping.  That's where the bathroom will be if you're really bored curious.