Author Topic: My collection boxed up and home construction photos  (Read 50761 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: My collection boxed up and home construction photos
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Well, the risers worked out pretty well and were extremely cheap.  Two sheets of 4x8 1" insulating styrofoam for $20 and the paint was already here (same color as the shelves and eventually the walls in the rest of the basement).  It's not perfect and it was a bit hard to cut at times in terms of getting a really smooth edge on the cuts.  The styrofoam tends to be a bit rough if the edge isn't sharp enough and starts shredding a bit.  I'm not 100% convinced I love the idea, it's really solid but it does what I wanted it to do and you can stick things directly into it as well which is a plus. 

So I proceeded to haul out the SW 3.75" stuff and get thoroughly depressed ::)  Honestly, I thought that I'd be able to get the loose stuff all out on the three shelves - prequel, OT, vintage, bustups and Kubricks.  Hah, fat chance!  There's nothing in the collection I truly dislike or feel all that bad about buying (JarJar and Ewoks notwithstanding) but a big chunk of that stuff has got to go.  I really am not all that keen about it, but I'm going to have to pare down a lot I think.  My display style at the moment is really simple, so why I need 9 clone pilots for example is silly.  If it was more diorama based or like Rob's, then sure, it makes sense but I think any and all of the armies will end up well thinned.  I'm also pretty comfortable with the idea that I can get buy with a reasonable progression of a character through the trilogy (ies) without having to have one of every release of a character, so Anakin will get cut back pretty substantially too. 

Still working on the one wall and no intention of doing anything else in the room until I get that portion where I want.  Here's the whole view:

I think on the wall that is at the back of the room, I'll put up some more shelves in line with these to form a corner area and they'll end up about 6 feet long as well.  I'll probably put the vintage boxed stuff I have there to keep the linearity of display going and keep SW all along that side. 

As for the rest of the pics, just closer up views of what is out so far.

Vintage first...

So you can now see what the shelves look like on closer inspection with the risers in place.  I think it does a very adequate job of raising the figures just enough that you can get a better look at them.  They're not all buried in quite the same way as a single level display and I can actually access them pretty easily without knocking the rest down. 

Top shelf is prequel stuff:

Episode I

Episode II

Episode III and clone overlap

I'd really like to get all the prequel stuff, the EU stuff I do have and the Clone wars stuff all onto that one shelf.  As it stands, I've got at least 20 figures that don't fit up there and the EU/CW stuff isn't even remotely there and that's another 100 or so figures :-\  So by my early calculation of 336 figures per shelf, I need to cull out about 100 figures to get the other stuff up there and have no room for expansion when other stuff comes out.  So probably half of what is there needs to go.  Ugh. 

I started putting out the Kubs as well and I'm a little concerned about the room I have set aside for those too.  They don't come out all that often but I plan on keeping up. 

As I've been putting out more, I can't find my old Anakin chase Kubrick from series 7 :o :'(  Talk about depressing.  I'm pretty sure it's around here somewhere, but not at the moment.  Anyone got a spare? :-\

So once I have the PT stuff culled, I'll get the risers on the middle shelf and see if I can't get the OT stuff up there.  I'm pretty sure I won't get the vintage, Kubricks, Bustups and titaniums all on one shelf, so I expect that I'll end up with more shelving than I wanted dedicated to SW.  After the SW stuff goes out (and the vinty stuff will be a huge pain to deal with, I have no idea how to go about displaying the carded stuff) I'll start working on the busts on the other side of the room and then onto the Marvel, DC, Simpsons, Movie Maniacs, Sportspicks, BTVS, etc.  If I'm done by spring, I'll be amazed. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2009, 09:16 PM »
Nice so far Brent.  I also like the WIP pictures, you are definitely making good progress.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Picked up a shelf for the Gentle Giant stuff.  It's no Detolf, but I think it will be ok ($30 ok).  Six feet high and shelves are 14" x 36".  I'm trying to decide whether I want the shelves on the wall or these for other things like sportspicks or Marvel Legends.  At that price, I might pick up another just to see how it works out.  If I don't like it for the collection, I can always put it in the workshop or garage. 

Full pic:

Top shelf with Vader stuff.  Can't tell, but one of the maquettes in the background is the black and white version, the other is the regular.  Really not a hole hill of beans in terms of difference. ::)  Chrome and regular, first release Vader plus the two PT Vader busts (yeah, I paid full price on the revealed bust  :-[)  Also the super deformed Vader is up there.  I think the shelf is just the tiniest bit too high, so I won't be able to get the Vader 400% Kubrick up there.  I also might move the MR Vader hilt in front of the Sideshow Vader when I pull that out.  Would like to get hold of the OT Obi MR hilt as well so it can sit in front of Obi in similar fashion.  I may move the black and white maquettes to the top and move Vader stuff down as there is more space there, but I'll have to see. 

OT busts.  I'm missing a couple but I think I just haven't found that box.  Also a couple of things still down at Jim's place in Minneapolis, so those will come around soon enough.  Obviously I'd like to get the busts in the back elevated for better display, but I was just trying to get an idea of how much space I needed.  I was thinking two of these racks for the busts, but one might be sufficient considering I have a fair bit of space left over and I'm by no means a completeist with this stuff. 

PT stuff.  Not too much missing here.  Galactic Marine for sure and some stuff I don't own such as the AOTC clones (white, yellow, red, blue) as I don't see myself going after those any time soon.  I think the yellow and white are possible, the other two are likely to stay out of my collection short of a lottery win.  I can spend a grand on something else.  I already dropped the chrome Jango bust :-X

The black and white OT maquettes.  I was really torn on keeping these and for a while if I could have got what I paid for them, I probably would have sold them.  Thankfully I didn't because now that they're out of the box I really do like them a lot.  I'm not at all unhappy that GG stopped making them, but I'm happy I have these.  I might move the Vader back down off the top shelf to be with these.  Not sure how Bobby Hull got there, but at least the black stormtrooper is guarding my beers from his azz. 

Lastly the colored maquettes.  Han and Luke are in Minneapolis currently and I still need to get hold of Obi and the Emperor.  I sold off the colored Boba Fett because I didn't really think I needed three Fett maquettes.  If I do, I'd prefer to have the b/w, cartoon and new version with Han Carbonite instead.  Some of these pieces are so bloody delicate too, it'd be a nightmare to rebox them and ship them with no expectation of damage. 

Some other crap came out of storage and is resting in a nonpermanent location on the window ledge.  Lovely pink insulation backing the window which isn't really keeping the cold out so well (already!).  Couple of Kubrick 400% and some deformed stuff, plus the Indy bust and three of the GG artifacts. 

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2009, 04:02 AM »
Wow! Not a speck of dust, most impressive! I don't have near the stuff you do, and I'm dusting constantly. Looks Great!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2009, 01:49 AM »
That shelf looks massive!  I'm looking forward to seeing the busts displayed on risers.  8)

I think the Vader maquettes would look better displayed with the other respective maquettes.  They must be kinda hidden at the back of that top shelf.

Keep the pics coming!

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2009, 11:05 PM »
Jesus! thats alot!!!  ;D ::) love it!

I belive you have some of the Droids Tv Series?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2009, 01:07 AM »
Very cool shelf.  I don't collect these, but they look sweet and I like the way you have them set up with some room between them.  My only reco is to tuck your power cord behind the shelf sir.  Oh, and finish your beer before it gets warm or spills.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2009, 09:37 PM »
Finally some tracks from Canadian Democracy are hitting the internet!!!!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 7, 2009, 02:57 PM »
More stuff out now.  Daunting task this is.

Indy (oh, there is a slight difference between the two pack and single pack Marion figures from the modern line if you look at the paint application at the bottom of her pant legs.  Trivial, but they are different):

Sportspicks.  I've managed to cull these over the years from having all the hockey regulars and 95% of the variants down to what I really want to keep.  If you look closely at Bobby Hull, the 3" exclusive from the Coyotes game where he was a giveaway is sitting.  Nice piece really and it means I have Hull in both white and blue WHA Jets Jerseys.  I also have Selanne in a blue #13 Jersey which is a custom by Jomo.  I expect I'll pick up the next version of Selanne they release later this year as it is supposed to be another Jets Jersey. 

I've still got a few to put out including my $5 Gordie Howe, Northstars Modano and 'Fro Moss.  Didn't bother with pics of the basketball but Bird, Maravich and Erving regulars and variants are there from Legends 1.  Images move from right side of shelf to left.

Simpsons got moved from earlier pictures, so a little different setup.

Family guy and Ash.

Futurama, Frankenberry and BTVS stuff.

DC

FF and Xmenish stuff

Still have way, waaaaaaaaaaay too much crap.  Gotta put out Avengers, Spidey, DD and more of this and boatloads of Star Wars still around. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 7, 2009, 11:04 PM »
Looks good Brent!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 8, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Very nice Brent, always look forward to seeing updates to your collection pics.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 9, 2009, 03:11 AM »

Army of Darkness rocks.  8)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Brent --

Wow!  Everything looks fantastic! You have really made quite a bit of progress - though it seems that you are fast running out of space ;).  Please update with some more photos when you get a chance!

BTW -- when does the pool open?
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 3, 2010, 08:07 PM »
It's funny, I couldn't care less about my collection right now to be completely honest.  I haven't done anything with it for some time, other than to sell a bunch of the Marvel Legends figures off.  Basically thinning the collection, so no new update photos to include. 

But since this thread has had at least as much about the "new" house (was then, isn't now) I figured I should add a few more photos since the backyard is finally nearing completion.  The backyard was pretty empty but we added the pool, that was done professionally.  Following that, I built the shed at the back of the yard and then finished the deck off as well.  The raised garden was installed as well, though it's pretty small for a garden (7x10) but enough to grow tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.  The last part was getting in the stone patio and whadda pain in the ass that was.  128 stones, easy enough.  Three yards of gravel, one yard of sand.  The bitch was the four yards of heavy, sticky clay we had to dig out to put the rest of it in, but it's done now. 

So three pictures for you:

Backyard from southwest corner where you can see the deck, shed and patio on the other side of the pool. 

Patio shot taken from the deck.  Yeah, I need to plant the garden. 

Finally the patio taken from an upstairs window. 

Not too much left to do in the backyard now, finally.  Still have two walls to build in the basement, wire in the electrical and speakers, then get a bathroom installed, do the drywall, subfloor and ceiling.  Lots of work yet. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 3, 2010, 11:49 PM »
In a word....waterslide.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.