Author Topic: More Army Builder Packs to Follow?  (Read 18031 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: More Army Builder Packs to Follow?
« Reply #15 on: January 5, 2005, 10:53 PM »
I tend to think that the battledroids in AOTC are red because that is the color chosen by the Techno Union, the group producing the battledroids on Geonosis. In TPM, I believe the battledroids there were produced by the Trade Federation. So the color denotes the group that produces them I think. Also I vaguely recall the shot Jesse is referencing to showing up in the background of AOTC, perhaps during the scene where 3PO swaps heads with a battledroid
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: January 5, 2005, 11:34 PM »
Yeah, it's definitely when 3PO's sequence plays.  You can see droids lined up getting a spray of something that is set in a framework that encompasses a completely built droid.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2005, 12:46 AM »
I figured that the red was the color of the (iron?) ore used to build them, since Geonosis had a lot of red pretty much everywhere.

That's just my theory. :P
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2005, 01:09 AM »
All are good theories I think.

So, what other 4-pks would you guys be in favor of? 

Would anyone want a Battle Droid 4-pk for $35.00?  Just kidding.  A Battle Droid 10-pk for $35.00 would be more like it.

:P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #19 on: January 6, 2005, 01:14 AM »
I don't think I'd buy any more Battle Droids. I might buy one on the ROTS card, just to see if it's any better than previous attempts, but I doubt I'll be getting many more of them.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 6, 2005, 01:25 AM »
I would say if they did more army builder sets like the Fan Club did, I would be interested in  VOTC Stormtroopers & VOTC-esque Snowtroopers, but not sure what if anything else would be good for it unless they did do all new sculpts on the various rebel troops.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 6, 2005, 10:50 AM »
Everybody is talking army builders but which one can and will they do.  We have to think variety and use EE's exclusive as a bar. For one, I heard that EE wouldn't take the non-articulated color clones in a multipack and insisted that Hasbro utilize the SA Clone. So basically all Hasbro did was through a little paint on the SA Clone. There is nothing new about them so don't expect anything new about any future multipack exclusives.

-Battle Droids (POTJ version  red, yellow, blue, plain)  Yes
-Snowtrooper (no color ranks, not very articulated and already dirty )   Nope
-Stormtrooper (battle damage)                                    Yes
-Sandtrooper (color ranks but recently done, Hasbro may put forth the efort to pull out the old pauldrons and pop them onto the VOTC Stormtrooper)  Doubtful

Any troops other than Imperials would require Hasbro to do some work with head sculpts and i'm not sure they will do it.

Just my thoughts.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 6, 2005, 11:01 AM »
Hmmm... good thoughts... VOTC Stormtroopers w/ battle damage would be very nice indeed.  I'd pay $35 for a 4-pk of those.  And for VOTC Sandtroopers as well.

As for Battle Droids, I love them.  But not at $10 a pop.  The ideal way I would want them made is like in the Clone Wars 3-pks - how about three versions with all Battle Droids?

Version 1 - three beige Battle Droids
Version 2 - OOM-9 and two red Security Droids
Version 3 - three red Battle Droids

I would like for these to be made of a sturdier plastic, and if this limited their articulation, so be it.  They would all be in slightly different stances, like the Clone 3-pks - (but none lying down).  This would be awesome at $10.00 a set.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: January 6, 2005, 05:55 PM »
I liked the idea for $35 for a 10 pack of bd's though.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat, so long as the droids were able to stand (didn't fall under their own weight), and were at least as articulated as teh AOTC version.

If half the set were red, and half white, that'd be ok...  Not sure how much I care on the colors at this point.

But Clones do need someone to shoot, so why not, ya know?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 6, 2005, 06:01 PM »
I agree that although the BD are good sculpts, the material makes them crap.  You would have to at least offer 8 for the same price.  Id be happy with Scout Troopers if they offered better articulation than the current issue ones.  I think Protocol droids and R2 units could be passed off fairly well and quite simple, but I am not sure how human characters like Imperial Officers, Naboo Guards, etc would sell.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 6, 2005, 06:12 PM »
Anything Imperial-esque would probably be a safe bet in terms of sales.

Scout Troopers - well I think they could make a much better version.  Something more articulated and with a more accurate size helmet.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 6, 2005, 06:55 PM »
I think Protocol droids and R2 units could be passed off fairly well and quite simple

they most certainly would. hasbro could do a variety of multipacks utilizing the R-3PO and K-3PO sculpts for protocol droids and the various R2, R3, R4, & R5 (Star Tours) for astromechs. any combination of droids would work so long as no two sets had the same colored droid in it. imagine these 4 packs:

1.) 2x 3PO units, 1 R2, 1 R4
2.) 1 3PO unit, 1 R3, 1 R2, 1 R5
3.) 1 R2, 1 R3, 1 R4, 1 R5
4.) 2x 3PO units, 1 R3, 1 R5

that would so totally rock!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 7, 2005, 11:40 AM »
I thought about scout troopers, but I don't believe Hasbro would make a brand new sculpt for troop builder set when an already good one exists.  When have they ever offered a new, articulated sculpt with a troop builder set?

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #28 on: January 7, 2005, 01:35 PM »
I would like some Royal Guard packs done nicely like these sets.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 7, 2005, 01:52 PM »
I would like some Royal Guard packs done nicely like these sets.

If done with cloth robes I would be all over these.  The vintage versions are still so much more superior IMO.