Author Topic: 2nd Bambino on the Way!  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
2nd Bambino on the Way!
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:49 PM »
My wife and I found out today that our second child is on the way.  We have been planning off and on for a few years now.  It will be our last since my wife does no want to have anymore past her 35th.  It will be good for Tyler to have a little brother/sister to grow up with.  Single children get so spoiled, no thanks to their parents and grandparents. ;D  We dont know what it is yet, but will find out ASAP to do some planning.  We are both hoping for another boy, but as long as he/she is healthy that is all that counts.  Not sure if I ever posted pics of Tyler but here he is this past Christmas. BTW, Tyler is 3.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Bambino on the Way!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:54 PM »
Congrats.  Fertile bunch around here :o

But don't discount a girl.  Sure, you have to worry about all the other pricks, rather than just one, but they actually give a crap about you when you're old ;)  Good luck with whatever you get. :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 03:11 PM »
Something in the water in Massachusetts I guess!

Congrats to you and the Mrs Jim!

RE: 2 Boys vs 1 of Each

I think we were content either way it went and I see merit in both.  I think secretly my wife wishes she had a daughter not so much now but down the road when she's older they can do things.  In my experience, boys tend to drift further away from their moms as they grow up and I think she knows this (like I see Brent just said)

However, giving big brother a life long pal is also of great value.  Monetarily (same clothes, same decor, same toys etc) and in life, already I see our boys playing together and wrestling and laughing.  I think having the same sex is nice

The problem with 2 boys or 2 girls would be the feeling to try for the other sex and wind up with 3 Eating Rough Housing Mess Making machines :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 03:26 PM »
Just as a side note, all those preconceptions about girls when they're kids don't really fit, or so my reality says.  Sydney is awesome at making and leaving a mess.  And the kid eats us darn near out of home, something I only expected from a boy.  The peer pressure will likely get her after puberty though >:( so it'll be cheaper then. 

Brothers are for life though, that I see all the time.  My sis and I are close, but not like so many guys I see with brothers.  Here's the best thing to hope for though, irrespective of gender:

Healthy and Happy :)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 03:55 PM »
Congrats Jim. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 04:26 PM »
Man, way to rain on Mikey's parade there, Jim!   :P

But congrats to you and the Mrs. on #2.

But after this, I'm gonna have to politely request to the rest of the JD'ers out there to please slow the roll on the baby-making.  Getting me all nervous that all my pals here are gonna go find "more important" things to do with their time than collecting and talking Star Wars toys - like having families 'n' stuff...   ::)

Please try to follow my shining example.  K?   :-*
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 04:27 PM by JediMAC »

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 04:54 PM »
Please try to follow my shining example.  K?   :-*

Yes, we should all strive to find new ways to leave our wives unfulfilled!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 06:50 PM »
Congrats!  ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 07:19 PM »
Yes, we should all strive to find new ways to leave our wives unfulfilled!

Hey, you shutup Nashville.

At least I ain't waiting 'til 2009 to propose...  Wuss.   ::)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 07:31 PM »
Thanks to all.  Like Scott said. Having another boy would definitely cut down on costs.  But either way things will sure be tight.  My wife does not plan on going back to work after the birth.  Thank god SW will be slowing down considerably after this year.  At least I hope so since I wont have the disposable cash I have now. 

Too funny Morgbug regarding the girl scenario.  The main reason we would like another boy is the fact that no matter how you look at it they are 100 times easier to bring up. 

I have a feeling its a girl anyways since my wife is having morning sickness, actually night sickness which she didnt have for the first one.  We'll know soon enough.

Hey Matt dont ever give up with the thoughts of children.  We have many friends who both people in the relationship never wanted kids but changed their minds in the later (but not too) years.  In some ways it makes you feel old but in more ways its a great way of reliving your own youth and keeping you young.  At least at heart.   Just ask my wife.  I am the most immature 35 year old out there. ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 11:02 PM »
On the outside chance you have a girl, I should share a couple of things with you.  Once she starts dating you need to remember to tell prospective boyfriends two things, one is simple, one takes a little longer.

1.  Look him straight in the eye and say I'm not afraid to go back to prison.

2. Tell him he'll take a bathtub test when he brings her home.  Explain it succinctly.  When they get back, you and he go to the bathtub.  He strips and gets in, if his balls float, they're empty and you kill him. ;D

We should be building a home shortly replete with front porch for my rocking chair, whence I will use an obscenely large knife to whittle wooden star wars figures.  I will also clean the shotgun and play banjo at that location.  The house will also come with a turret with a laser sight. 

Oh yes, one other thing: I've purchased a weight set and I do arm curls with the precise poundage of my daughter and will keep up as she grows.  I figure she should weigh in at around 100-120 in high school.  I'll probably get some fairly obscene tattos at that point as well.

Oh yeah, if it happens to be anyone here's son, please understand I will shoot them if I have to, it's nothing personal ;)

Now, what was that you said about raising boys being easier? 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 11:05 PM by Morgbug »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 02:05 AM »
Hah, I hear you Brent!  My 3 year old daughter is great now, but she's going to hate me when she's 13 until at least 18 - I can guarantee it. 

..."Why no officer, that isn't my daughter's boyfriend in my freezer.  Why do you ask?" 

That being said, I think I actually prefer raising a girl, maybe because I feel less pressure?  Of course I don't have a son, but I've always felt there's a lot of bull**** macho pressure that can get in the way when raising a son - I've never been the jock/tough-guy, but for some reason feel like my son is supposed to be? 

Sheesh, too much psychology involved here.  I should just be saying:
Congrats Mr. rebeltrader - all we should really want is "happy and healthy"  :)

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 02:09 AM »
Congrats
Good age split too
Mine are 2 and 4 so you are headed for even more fun!!
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 08:08 AM »
Congrats Jim!!!! 

You guys just crack me up with your point of views.  My children are both in college (2 years apart) and I had one of each.  They are each other's rock and would move heaven and earth for the other.  That said, they would have happily traded each other away while in junior high but eased up when they hit high school.  As for one sex being easier to raise than the other...HAHAHAHAHA....you'll just have to wait and see  ;)
Beth

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 08:44 AM »
Congrats to you & the Mrs. Jim.   :)