Author Topic: Saturn Has A New Moon, Cassini.  (Read 4823 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Saturn Has A New Moon, Cassini.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2005, 04:16 PM »
This raw image was returned by the Descent Imager/Spectral Radiometer camera onboard the European Space Agency's Huygens probe after the probe descended through the atmosphere of Titan. It shows the surface of Titan with ice blocks strewn around.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:50 PM by DSJ™ »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2005, 04:18 PM »
First raw images returned by the European Space Agency's Huygens probe during its successful descent to Titan. It was taken at an altitude of 16.2 kilometers.

Updated the pics as the other server is getting jammed with hits.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:52 PM by DSJ™ »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2005, 07:50 PM »
HELL.  YEAH.   ;D

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2005, 09:30 PM »
Hmmm, an atmosphere and water? Life? Inhabitable?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2005, 09:00 AM »
New pictures coming out.  8)

This composite was produced from images returned yesterday, January 14, 2005, by the European Space Agency's Huygens probe during its successful descent to land on Titan. It shows a full 360-degree view around Huygens. The left-hand side, behind Huygens, shows a boundary between light and dark areas. The white streaks seen near this boundary could be ground 'fog,' as they were not immediately visible from higher altitudes.

This image was returned yesterday, January 14, 2005, by the European Space Agency's Huygens probe during its successful descent to land on Titan. This is the colored view, following processing to add reflection spectra data, and gives a better indication of the actual color of the surface.

Initially thought to be rocks or ice blocks, they are more pebble-sized. The two rock-like objects just below the middle of the image are about 15 centimeters (about 6 inches) (left) and 4 centimeters (about 1.5 inches) (center) across respectively, at a distance of about 85 centimeters (about 33 inches) from Huygens. The surface is darker than originally expected, consisting of a mixture of water and hydrocarbon ice. There is also evidence of erosion at the base of these objects, indicating possible fluvial activity. The image was taken with the Descent Imager/Spectral Radiometer, one of two NASA instruments on the probe.

This composite was produced from images returned yesterday, January 14, 2005, by the European Space Agency's Huygens probe during its successful descent to land on Titan. It shows the boundary between the lighter-colored uplifted terrain, marked with what appear to be drainage channels, and darker lower areas.
These images were taken from an altitude of about 8 kilometers (about 5 miles) and a resolution of about 20 meters (about 65 feet) per pixel. The images were taken by the Descent Imager/Spectral Radiometer, one of two NASA instruments on the probe.

2 1/2 hour descent to the surface and only a 30 minute lifespan to take pictures, it only had 3 hours of battery life. Still pretty impressive.  8)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 09:01 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2005, 12:06 AM »
Sounds of an alien world.

You can hear the winds buffeting the craft as it makes its descent, plus the radar thingy too.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2005, 02:06 AM »
those were some interesting sounds, though i had made instant earthbound connections to them.

the winds sound much like they would if you were driving fast down an expressway with one of your windows slightly opened and the rest closed. the winds buffeting your car and getting thru that small opening make that noise.

the radar sound, had me thinking of the racecar in the atari classic pole position revving up and increasing speed. :P
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2005, 09:07 AM »
That does sound like Pole Position
"Prepare to Qualify"