Author Topic: The Sad State of Padme Episode III Figures  (Read 10476 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
The Sad State of Padme Episode III Figures
« on: January 21, 2005, 12:24 PM »
As it stands right now there are at least 9 Episode III costumes planned

Padme (Apartment Scene)

Padme (NightGown)

Padme (Hold Me 1)

Padme (Hold Me 2)

Padme (Green Dress)

Padme (NightGown 2)

Padme (Senate)

Padme (Obi-Wan)

Padme (Funeral)

CUT:

Padme (Peacock Dress) CUT

So that's 9 Costumes and so far only 1 figure

As a point of reference...Episode II had 13 Costumes and 3 figures done within the year (Arena, Pilot and Arena 2 with Tatooine and Wedding Following in 2003) which means there are 9 left to do

Episode I had 10 Padme Costumes with 2 at the launch (Battle and Tatooine Disguise) and 6 additional versions done over the years with 3 left to do

As we move along, less and less Padme's are being done with more and more of them falling by the wayside.  With only ONE Figure planned for Episode III so far, I feel Ms Portman is getting the Royal Shaft which totally sucks

« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 01:59 PM by Scott »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Sad State of Padme Episode III Figures
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 01:15 PM »

Padme (Peacock)

Ha.  Looks like Padme Marley, or Padme Predator to me...   :P

For whatever reason, her costumes don't seem quite as interesting this time around, so I'm not quite as bummed as with the previous couple flicks.  I'd say they've gotta hit that one in the blue dress though (on the Insider cover there).  That one's pretty cool...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 01:16 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 01:25 PM »
I feel Ms Portman is getting the Royal Shaft which totally sucks

I wouldn't mind giving her the Royal Shaft, preferably with some sucks  :P

I'd take any and all of her costumes, but I can see why Hasbro is hesitant.  Her figures just don't sell that well.  Some are Hasbro's fault by making atrocious figures (Arena Padme #1) and the rest just aren't "flashy" enough, even though they have pretty decent sculpts. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 02:55 PM »
She gets the shaft, I agree...  On the other hand, I guess I never cared for her in all her outfits either, so I just didn't care if we got her in them all or not unless they were prominent...  I think perhaps over time we'll see more of them roll out and that's ok more or less.

I think any one of prominence should get a figure though, like Droid Factory Padme's outfit was pretty prominent...  Can't think of too many other ones though since she does have so many costume changes.  It gets to be a bit much.

I liked it better when a character wore the same clothes all the time...  Made it stinkier, but easier for figure making. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 03:00 PM »
I really think they could do 4 Padme's a year for the next 3 years. The fact they are only doing 1, she's the third main character behind Anakin and Obi-Wan and none past the first launch means she isn't a big seller

I just think there's more room for her in the line, especially with 4 Palpatines planned :o

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 03:17 PM »
What about Jar-Jar?  He isn't getting ANY Episode 3 figure yet...  :'(

:P

Seriously, there isn't any reason they can't do a new Padme every year from here on out.  They should really have done at least TWO out of the first 56 figures, the fact that it is just one is kinda sad.

Maybe they should look into doing 1-2 Padme figures every year, even if they have to go the exclusive route.  Maybe a new Padme from SWShop.com every spring and another from someone else?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 04:04 PM »

Damn Woman!  Hop on into my bed anytime!

:P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 03:10 PM »
This disappoints me too, but it's reflective of Hasbro's attitude toward her in movie years.  They only do the action ones, and this time she apparently sees very little save for that one outfit.  I want the buns and peacock versions the most, and then the apartment scene, so hopefully they'll get back to her in 2006.   ::)

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 04:35 PM »
When you actually line up all those dresses, though, I can see why there aren't that many planned. They're all intentionally dark to hide the character's pregnancy, with the exception of the battle dress, where it is obvious. Might make it a bit hard to differentiate to the average non-fan in a movie year. I'd put my bet on the "Leia buns" version being the next up to bat since it is so iconic.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 01:54 PM »
So, I think I got all of them...I believe the Green Dress was cut as was the Peacock Dress...I really can't see them doing the Nightgown figures EVER so that would leave the Pregancy Revealed, two apartment scenes with Anakin, the talk with Obi-Wan and the Funeral Dress

I'd say the Buns version

Has a chance, the rest though I don't see as being really super needed. A lthough, I thought she was amazingly beautiful in this dress:

Her hair was great!

I also would love a Funeral Procession set but there is probably little to no chance of that happening, especially since a Funeral Pyre Vader still hasn't been done :-\
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 01:55 PM by Scott »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 02:59 PM »
After seeing the movie the only memorable one for me is her funeral outfit. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 04:11 PM »
I think Hasbro adheres to the general philosophy that female action figures do not sell well.  It's occasionally a distribution issue, but I think generally it's a good philosophy. 

Sabe, Shmi and Aurra Sing all seriously peg warmed up here to the point where I can still find these hanging on the pegs.  Shaak Ti and Luminara from AOTC can still be found.  I'm betting Sly Moore doesn't go anywhere quickly either, since she's been a non-moving entity from her arrival. 

I can understand the need for more Padme figures and agree we need some more, but her whole costume change (and the sheer variety on clones in ROTS) seem a bit like a contrived marketing program for toys. 

I'd love to see the Buns version, it was a great homage.  I could see one or two others but not that many more. 

I'll also say that now that I've seen the movie, I'm actually inclined to pick up the current Padme figure, one I've been avoiding to this point.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 09:43 PM »
Given how undistinctive most of her ROTS outfits were, I'd say we're not going to get very many from this film.  The peacock one I thought was a lock, but since they cut it, I doubt we'll see it (unless she's already in the can).  I'd say the buns version and the funeral version are definites, and the Padme (Hold Me 1) and Padme Senate versions maybes.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 10:50 AM »
I am down for more Padme figures, but they really need to include the infant twins soemwhere.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 01:58 PM »
Green Velvet Padme is in the film, she is wearing that during the scene where she's looking at the Jedi Temple and Anakin is looking at her from the Council Room and cries, her hood is down though and not up
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 01:59 PM by Scott »