Author Topic: If/When Star Wars is Gone...Would You Collect, If So, What?  (Read 9219 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: If/When Star Wars is Gone...Would You Collect, If So, What?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Good topic. If Star Wars ended I'd probably increase my Halo and GI Joe collections with the extra $ I'm not using on SW. Might collect some more of the higher end SW stuff (GG Bust-Ups, MR Mini Sabers, etc).

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 10:24 PM »
nothing...it's bad enough SW got me into toy collecting in the first place. all those MOC toys that i've accumulated makes me think of all the wasted money over the years. i've must've spent a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff and it goes beyond SW stuff...like muppets. wwe wrestling, early movie maniacs, sportspicks, and other miscellaneous stuff. it's sad when i look at all the stuff boxed up in storage. the only stuff i've ever opened were my kubrick collection (which takes up alot less space). still, if i could've done it all over again, i probably would've only collected kubricks and higher end stuff like SW premium format line, MR lightsabers, or other items that would look decent in a movie room...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 5, 2009, 01:51 PM »
I thought this was appropriate to bump back up with all the talk in the TLC forums about the "realistic" line slowing down or even eventually stopping.  If that did happen, at this point would you collect anything else?

If I'm being honest, I'd probably collect at least some of the Clone Wars stuff.  I enjoy the show, and have grabbed a fair amount of the figures so far, and it seems (at least now) to come out at a pace that could be managed.  If SW in general was out, I might try to stay away from collecting for the most part.  My primary "other" purchases these days are comic based (Marvel and DC), and I'd likely always pick up the odd figure here or there, but even now I'm getting away from getting the majority of "waves" for the most part.  I don't know if classic/anniversary styled Joes or Transformers are returning, and if not I definitely wouldn't be picking up anything there.  I'm subscribed to the MOTU Classics line through 2010, but at one figure per month, that doesn't feel like much of a hassle.  If Star Wars was ending, I think I'd be a "pick and choose" collector, focusing mainly on comic book stuff - and then eventually probably nothing at all (although I do read comic books too, if that counts as collecting).  I'd probably try to put more money away, or save for other things like televisions, dvds, etc.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 5, 2009, 02:19 PM »
If the TLC line of film based characters was to stop and we were left with just animated Clone Wars figures/characters, I would probably try to stop.  I have been buying a few and I might end up with a few in the future, but I don't think I'd switch to the full line.  I would probably still buy any vehicles that came out that could also fit in with the film characters I already have.  If the Hasbro SW line stopped completely, no CW, no vehicles, nothing, I'd probably be pretty much done as well.

Although I do buy the odd toy or figure from other lines, I don't think I'd replace SW with anything else.  The GI Joe line has some fun stuff but I wouldn't move over to that line full time.

I've thought about this in the past and at various times there were other lines availalbe that I might have switched to.  Most of them don't exist any more, such as the 12" GI Joe line or Lord of the Rings.  I've also thought that if SW wasn't still going I might go back to reading more comics, but at this point I think the chance of that is slim. 

I would probably use the extra money saved from not buying new Hasbro product to go back and fill in some holes in the collection, maybe buy a couple GG busts that weren't a priority previously, or maybe even buy the odd Sideshow PF statue.  Or, maybe I'd go find a different hobby that wasn't in any way related to SW or toys.  I'm not sure.  I guess the Hasbro line would really have to end, and then I could take a while to sit back and decide.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 5, 2009, 02:43 PM »
I'd stick with the CW vehicles and might pick up an animated fig here and there, but probably not much more if that's the route Hasbro is going to take.

I've only got a few vintage SW ships and playsets at the moment, so I'd probably go back and try and pick up a complete vinty set of figs - loose of course.  Hopefully I'm not the only one who doesn't have all the vinty figs.   :-[

Either that or I'd start piecing back together my vintage Joes from the 80's since recently acquiring a good size of figs from a local collector.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 5, 2009, 02:53 PM »
If the realistic figure line ended I'd probably fill in a few of the hard to find figures I missed (R1 Droid, etc.).  I'd also collect more of the LEGO kits that come out.  Lastly I'd probably buy more Star Wars books, novels and comic books.  I don't see myself branching out too much from Star Wars though.  I'll be disappointed when the line ends, but due to my limited collecting of late (too much else going on), I'll have plenty of catch up to play over the following years.
I am not the Stig

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 5, 2009, 03:08 PM »
I'd stick with the CW vehicles and might pick up an animated fig here and there, but probably not much more if that's the route Hasbro is going to take.

I've only got a few vintage SW ships and playsets at the moment, so I'd probably go back and try and pick up a complete vinty set of figs - loose of course.  Hopefully I'm not the only one who doesn't have all the vinty figs.   :-[

Either that or I'd start piecing back together my vintage Joes from the 80's since recently acquiring a good size of figs from a local collector.

That's something I completely forgot to mention.  I'd likely devote more or most of my time to finishing a loose, complete vintage collection as well.  I think I'm in the minority here of those who haven't already done that, but I've got a ways to go in that area.  I used to devote about half my collecting budget to that in the pre-ROTS days, but with the pace of modern releases the last few years, the vintage collecting has taken a backseat unfortunately.  I'd likely try to complete the figure set, and then maybe move on to some beasts, playsets, and vehicles.  Down the road I would maybe try to get into carded collecting as well.  Some thing may be more expensive, but I think it would be less "stressful" than modern collecting since you can do it at your leisure and there isn't more stuff coming out and piling up while you are looking for a certain item.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 5, 2009, 03:59 PM »
If SW was gone for good (meaning all lines, not just Legacy) then if Halo, TF and Marvel lines were around, I'd continue with those. Though I only get the TF movie stuff and not a ton of Marvel stuff. Halo is easy to collect, but I can see that line ending in a couple of years.

Honestly with buying  a house now the priorities are changing. Last month and this month have been wallet depleting because I've either bought toys or had to shell out "hand money" (those who have bought a house know what I mean), or house inspectors, etc.

I can't wait until I get the house so that stuff can settle down and I can get back into some sort of routine. 

With the supposed deluge of product coming in the last quarter of this year, money is going to remain tight for me for months to come.   >:(
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: October 5, 2009, 04:45 PM »
Hands down I'm buying a 1:16 scale RC Tank...  World War 2 only, but I'm going balls in on collecting these.  They're insanely cool, and not expensive by any stretch.

I also may start picking up either Lego or SS Star Wars items.  SS I only want Militaries of line though, and Lego of course it'd be Star Wars, and probably only OT.

RC tanks though, yes I'm there.  I've yet to buy one due to space as I don't have my military stuff displayed, but they're so insanely cool.  There's like 30 different German tanks alone.  Less US, but hopefully more soon.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 5, 2009, 06:18 PM »
I wouldn't collect anything more than I do now.  I'd still be picking up a few Marvel and DC figures here and there, but that would probably be it.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 5, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Hands down I'm buying a 1:16 scale RC Tank...  World War 2 only, but I'm going balls in on collecting these.  They're insanely cool, and not expensive by any stretch.

Me too, but 1:1 scale.  I've actually already found it just waiting for the owner to get "mad" at it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: October 5, 2009, 10:17 PM »
Are you ******** me?  And can I drive it if I come down?

Please?    :'(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 5, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Come to D/FW we'll make a toy run in the 1/2 track(it is street legal)

The new one is currently "in a barn" and the old vet who owns it(and restored it) doesn't want to sell it right now.  It is very similar to how we got the Halftrack.

But to be on topic, assuming that the Movie line Kills Joe...if/when Star Wars in it it's current form dies, I will most likely either stop buying toys altogether or start my own toy company to make the stuff I want...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: October 5, 2009, 11:47 PM »
1:16 tanks! :)  You know you want to run one over with the halftrack.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 6, 2009, 10:25 AM »
I'd just pick up miscellaneous stuff. A Halo figure here and there, Star Trek item, whatever might look cool, but nothing near the level of Star Wars commitment.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."